collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746873 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1950 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »
They have to have medical staff at every game, since Muamba collapsed on the pitch. Anyone think the best use for medical staff at the moment is keeping an eye on football?

Also, on average each week, how many players get carried off with serious injuries that require going to hospital?  Who is going to treat them and what about the risk of being taken into hospital.  Footballers' current insurance covering that, doubt it.

This is not going to work, is it.

Either the situation regarding the virus improves and there is sufficient time to play the games under the same conditions as before the break and not impact on next season or you cancel the season and rewind to how things were at the start of 2019/20 season.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1951 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »
They have to have medical staff at every game, since Muamba collapsed on the pitch. Anyone think the best use for medical staff at the moment is keeping an eye on football?

Also, on average each week, how many players get carried off with serious injuries that require going to hospital?  Who is going to treat them and what about the risk of being taken into hospital.  Footballers' current insurance covering that, doubt it.

Either the situation regarding the virus improves and there is sufficient time to play the games under the same conditions as before the break and not impact on next season or you cancel the season and rewind to how things were at the start of 2019/20 season.

I think it's going to be played out whatever.  They've probably already held talks with the Government.  There's too much at stake to void it.

I would argue that if the same conditions cannot be met, then relegation should not take place this season.  I even think that the break has given certain teams an unfair advantage (Leeds, Wolves for example).

We also have to factor in FA Cup & European competitions as they will need to be played as well.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1952 on: April 10, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »

I think it's going to be played out whatever.  They've probably already held talks with the Government.  There's too much at stake to void it.

I would argue that if the same conditions cannot be met, then relegation should not take place this season.  I even think that the break has given certain teams an unfair advantage (Leeds, Wolves for example).

We also have to factor in FA Cup & European competitions as they will need to be played as well.

I keep on hearing that there is too much at stake to void it but I have not seen an honest assessment of the pros and cons of voiding it.  All I have seen is self-interest reaction.  Yes, I will own up, at this point in time I want the season cancelled as it would suit Villa.  However, if it was proved that postponing the season until it is safe to continue works for everybody, I would accept it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1953 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »

They're not talking about "at the moment", they're talking about some point in the future when the virus is under control.

They're talking about playing games this summer. The deluded twats. My post was in response to one about playing behind closed doors. Why would they be playing behind closed doors if the virus was under control.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1954 on: April 10, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »

I keep on hearing that there is too much at stake to void it but I have not seen an honest assessment of the pros and cons of voiding it.  All I have seen is self-interest reaction.  Yes, I will own up, at this point in time I want the season cancelled as it would suit Villa.  However, if it was proved that postponing the season until it is safe to continue works for everybody, I would accept it.

Common sense alone should tell you that if most clubs make losses when 100 of the season is played then those losses are going to be a lot higher if only 75% is played.

Burnley have gone public and stated that they will be insolvent by August without any income.  In the EFL, the impact is going to be even greater.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1955 on: April 10, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »

They're not talking about "at the moment", they're talking about some point in the future when the virus is under control.

They're talking about playing games this summer. The deluded twats. My post was in response to one about playing behind closed doors. Why would they be playing behind closed doors if the virus was under control.

Simple - To minimize the risk of a 2nd outbreak.  It is widely expected that people will be back at work by July/August.  Not sure why you think footballers are different?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1956 on: April 10, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »
Because most people's works don't have to have medical staff on hand. Footballers do. We need all the medical staff we can get for helping fight the virus, even if some people are back at work.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1957 on: April 10, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
Because most people's works don't have to have medical staff on hand. Footballers do. We need all the medical staff we can get for helping fight the virus, even if some people are back at work.

If there are still large numbers in hospital then I agree with you.  However, it is expected that in 3 months time, the numbers will be way down (that is the purpose of us isolating at present).

I don't think anyone would support medical staff being used at football games when they can be deployed to help save lives.  We have to understand and accept that this is a very temporary situation and that we will be moving back towards normality at some point sooner rather than later.

If it is safe to go back to work, it will be safe to play behind closed doors.  Obviously, if the NHS are still stretched then it won't be safe to go back to work.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1958 on: April 10, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »

If there are still large numbers in hospital then I agree with you.  However, it is expected that in 3 months time, the numbers will be way down (that is the purpose of us isolating at present).

I don't think anyone would support medical staff being used at football games when they can be deployed to help save lives.  We have to understand and accept that this is a very temporary situation and that we will be moving back towards normality at some point sooner rather than later.

If it is safe to go back to work, it will be safe to play behind closed doors.  Obviously, if the NHS are still stretched then it won't be safe to go back to work.

“Very temporary”?

The peak may well be sooner rather than later, but this won’t mean that scores of people won’t be dying each day.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1959 on: April 10, 2020, 12:55:16 PM »

“Very temporary”?

The peak may well be sooner rather than later, but this won’t mean that scores of people won’t be dying each day.

If lock down is adhered to, we should soon pass the situation where scores are dying each day.  The biggest task will be ensuring we don't face a fresh outbreak.  This is why I don't envisage crowds at football games for long time (certainly well into next season).

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1960 on: April 10, 2020, 01:02:00 PM »
Obviously it will be safer to play behind closed doors as opposed to filling football stadiums and all the pre and post match social interaction that involves. But if they show the games in pubs, then they will still be creating unsafe environments.
Completely safe means close to full immunity and without a vaccine that is many months away.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1961 on: April 10, 2020, 01:06:20 PM »
Ultimately, Mother Nature will continue to call the shots, despite any human self-interest there is, us Villa fans, Sky, Liverpool, etc etc...

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1962 on: April 10, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
Ultimately, Mother Nature will continue to call the shots, despite any human self-interest there is, us Villa fans, Sky, Liverpool, etc etc...

This is football we are talking about. Self interest appears to be part of its DNA.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #1963 on: April 10, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
Without wishing to appear crass at this difficult time but has any thing been said as to how season ticket holders at all clubs, not just ours,will be handled. If the season is just ended, ST holders and those who have bought match tickets would need to be reimbursed. If a discount is given on next seasons ST purchase, this would obviously have an effect on clubs revenue.

Please don't take this as being insensitive and I fully understand there are many more important things to worry about at present.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #1964 on: April 10, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
German Bundesliga warning that all games could be behind closed doors until 2021! 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal