collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746815 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1920 on: April 09, 2020, 06:55:28 PM »
At the very least this should knock on the head any notion of a points per match outcome.

So it's either play them by hook or by crook or void them.  Please, please be the latter.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1921 on: April 09, 2020, 07:06:40 PM »
At the very least this should knock on the head any notion of a points per match outcome.

So it's either play them by hook or by crook or void them.  Please, please be the latter.

I agree but as a team who would suffer most from playing out the remaining games in empty stadiums, I would argue that there should be no relegation this season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1922 on: April 09, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »

I agree but as a team who would suffer most from playing out the remaining games in empty stadiums, I would argue that there should be no relegation this season.
I would argue that too, but if we play the games then there's no chance of that.  Lets face it, from a football perspective we were on a terrible run and the break at that moment was probably an advantage to us.  If we do play the games Smith just needs to make sure we are more up for it than our relegation rivals. 

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1923 on: April 09, 2020, 07:27:26 PM »
And that’s the problem. We royally stuffed that up in our last 4 games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1924 on: April 09, 2020, 07:48:57 PM »
The FA Council has today ratified the decision to conclude the 2019-20 season across Steps 3-7 of the National League System, Tiers 3 to 7 of the women’s football pyramid and the wider grassroots game.

Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working collaboratively with the leagues within the National League System, the Women’s Football Board, the Women’s Football Conference and the wider grassroots game to identify the most appropriate way to conclude the 2019-20 season at each level.

The request to end the 2019-20 season was taken to the FA Council by the representatives of the relevant committees having been fully supported by the FA Board.

The FA Council’s vote today was overwhelmingly in favour of ratifying the decision.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/apr/09/fa-council-statement-090420

If you've got a pyramid league structure then surely what's good at one end has to be good at the other.
They have set a precedent here which will be good news for our Legal Case if it ever comes to that.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1925 on: April 09, 2020, 09:19:45 PM »
Germany again are only starting the league due to money , the fear clubs going bust so are prepared, like the PL want to play with no fans.Even with their high levels of testing they doubt fans will be at a game untill next year.

As for Villa we might lose home advantage but I wonder how many teams are going to perform at all when they have nothing to play for with no fans to generate an atmosphere or for them to perform in front of.I can Image Liverpool winning 2 games to win league will be there for taking the rest of season ( even in normal times this would likely have been the case ) but I think with no fans it will be worse.

I also worry that if they start the season again and just one team gets a player effected what the hell is the plan then ?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1926 on: April 09, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »

I also worry that if they start the season again and just one team gets a player effected what the hell is the plan then ?

Covid-19 testing will be the new drug testing but rather than testing a selection of players, they will have to test everybody at the clubs.  Will it be like a blood test for drink driving with a club having half the test samples and the independent tester having the other half.  Clubs in trouble at the bottom will be throwing sickies so as not to play games.  This season is not going to be completed, is it.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1927 on: April 09, 2020, 10:13:18 PM »
Tom Ross seems to be suggesting he has the inside track that EFL will go back and play all remaining games over a 46 day period. But he’s probably not as well connected as he might have been.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1928 on: April 09, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »
Tom Ross seems to be suggesting he has the inside track that EFL will go back and play all remaining games over a 46 day period. But he’s probably not as well connected as he might have been.

Alan Nixon* from the S*n tweeted out a link to that effect this evening. I obviously didn't click on it so don't know the details.

*I only follow him because his Championship predictions once netted me £333 from a £4 stake!

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #1929 on: April 10, 2020, 12:02:37 AM »

Alan Nixon* from the S*n tweeted out a link to that effect this evening. I obviously didn't click on it so don't know the details.

*I only follow him because his Championship predictions once netted me £333 from a £4 stake!

The quote on the BBC refers to the EFL preparing for the season to be finished behind closed doors and requiring 56 days to complete the season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1930 on: April 10, 2020, 12:46:13 AM »
Surely they won't continue with the play off system? Play off final BCD at Wembley just seems bizzare to me. In the circumstances just the top 3 going up seems more logical.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #1931 on: April 10, 2020, 03:21:23 AM »
I think they should try and finish everything up in the shortest possible time ,with all the large squads use them to the maximum. Play completely different teams every other game it’ll add something

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1932 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »
If they are going to try to finish the season, I think that's the only realistic way of doing it. In Australia they were on about a 'rugby island' - basically all going to an uninhabited island, everyone covid-tested and monitored, then play out the games in complete isolation. I'm assuming it's something along those lines they're suggesting.

It doesn't work in Villa's favour really, but it's probably the fairest solution available of completing the season. Certainly better than in Scotland where Partick Thistle could be relegated with a game in hand and less than 3pts from safety, much like ourselves.

I'd be inclined to support it as long as some of the revenue was directed towards helping clubs in the lower leagues & women's game pay unavoidable bills.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1933 on: April 10, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
All it is is a proposal but it couldn’t happen without guidance from the government.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1934 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »
It would become a completely different competition and would be incomparable with what went before.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal