collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 256749 times)

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1995 on: April 10, 2020, 03:21:23 AM »
I think they should try and finish everything up in the shortest possible time ,with all the large squads use them to the maximum. Play completely different teams every other game itíll add something

Offline algy

« Reply #1996 on: April 10, 2020, 07:51:04 AM »
Tom Ross seems to be suggesting he has the inside track that EFL will go back and play all remaining games over a 46 day period. But heís probably not as well connected as he might have been.
If they are going to try to finish the season, I think that's the only realistic way of doing it. In Australia they were on about a 'rugby island' - basically all going to an uninhabited island, everyone covid-tested and monitored, then play out the games in complete isolation. I'm assuming it's something along those lines they're suggesting.

It doesn't work in Villa's favour really, but it's probably the fairest solution available of completing the season. Certainly better than in Scotland where Partick Thistle could be relegated with a game in hand and less than 3pts from safety, much like ourselves.

I'd be inclined to support it as long as some of the revenue was directed towards helping clubs in the lower leagues & women's game pay unavoidable bills.

Offline aev

• GM : 30.01.2021
« Reply #1997 on: April 10, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
All it is is a proposal but it couldnít happen without guidance from the government.

Online Nev

« Reply #1998 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:56 AM »
It would become a completely different competition and would be incomparable with what went before.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1999 on: April 10, 2020, 08:34:48 AM »
It would become a completely different competition and would be incomparable with what went before.

Would we be less crap in that case?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #2000 on: April 10, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
I really find it pretty distasteful that football is continuing to scramble for ideas to finish the season, whilst the world is in a crisis.

Offline aev

« Reply #2001 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:34 AM »
I thought April Fools was last week. From the Guardian:

The National League has advised clubs in its three divisions to vote in favour of ending the regular season without playing games that were scheduled up until 25 April and, if an agreement is reached, member clubs will be expected to decide each teamís final position through further polls, provoking bewilderment among some club officials. The league contacted its clubs after a board meeting on Thursday.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2002 on: April 10, 2020, 09:07:49 AM »
sounds suitably Labour Party.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2003 on: April 10, 2020, 09:24:13 AM »
Report in the Telegraph today about how Brentford could soon have two grounds and no football to play in either of them.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 24.01.2021
« Reply #2004 on: April 10, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »
Not sure if this has been asked before, but it Points Averages were used to determine finishing positions in the event of league abandonment, would ours improve if you averaged the home and away points separately, then multiplied them by the respective home and away games left?

It would mean us at least having the benefit of our better home form and more home games left.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 06.02.2021
« Reply #2005 on: April 10, 2020, 09:30:59 AM »
I really find it pretty distasteful that football is continuing to scramble for ideas to finish the season, whilst the world is in a crisis.

Iím sticking with my view that they are preparing the ground for their legal position of Ďwe considered every eventuality, however absurd and ruled them all out as impractical, season overí

Offline aev

« Reply #2006 on: April 10, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »
Not sure if this has been asked before, but it Points Averages were used to determine finishing positions in the event of league abandonment, would ours improve if you averaged the home and away points separately, then multiplied them by the respective home and away games left?

It would mean us at least having the benefit of our better home form and more home games left.

Think we would still be in the bottom 3.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #2007 on: April 10, 2020, 09:44:36 AM »
Report in the Telegraph today about how Brentford could soon have two grounds and no football to play in either of them.

Further down the pyramid these days, but I think York City are about there already.

Offline aev

« Reply #2008 on: April 10, 2020, 09:46:35 AM »
I think you have to play it (at some stage) or void it.

Problem is playing it at some stage isnít really finishing the ďseasonĒ. Momentum, injuries, lack of crowds, physical and mental fatigue will all be changed to such an extent that all you are really doing is playing 2 different competitions.

Did Tottenham de register Kane- he could end up coming back and get Tottenham into the greedy league, would this be fair as wasnít he out for the season?

Too many clubs will be affected by arbitrary decisions.

And of course, none of this is even has considered the grimness of the situation we are all living under.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #2009 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »

Think we would still be in the bottom 3.
Yep by my calculation
=16 Bournemouth + Watford with 35.74
18th West Ham with 35.55
19th Villa with 34.98
20th Norwich with 27.95

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal