collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 237049 times)

Offline Towser

• GM : 06.06.2020
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1905 on: April 08, 2020, 09:55:46 AM »
I did remove the www part this site automatically removed the rest, it is from our local rag though and the guy who said it is also something to do with Watford.

Offline aev

• GM : 30.01.2021
« Reply #1906 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
You’d think the massive break enabling players to recharge batteries would massively benefit a Bielsa team.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1907 on: April 08, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
You’d think the massive break enabling players to recharge batteries would massively benefit a Bielsa team.

Exactly - And a Wolves team who have endured a marathon already this season.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1908 on: April 08, 2020, 11:39:24 AM »
I did remove the www part this site automatically removed the rest, it is from our local rag though and the guy who said it is also something to do with Watford.

Thanks for initially pointing out and posting.
So yes that is very interesting and someone gives a clear picture of how clubs are and that the football season is to finish.
Of course we shall await the official confirmation but If an Italian who is connected to the scene through ownership has some knowledge and got the exclusive out there then we can expect further coverage from many websites and media before the official announcement .

Good spot !
I guess it puts mind at ease and that football in UK have understood the severity and magnitude of the virus
Like many have said football is least of concerns but also like many have said it's a welcome distraction to everyday life .
I would be satisfied if season was cancelled.
But of course I don't care or priority of football at this time in big picture and I don't think anyone here does. Though we for Villa
All the best towser to you and yours - thanks for highlighting pal.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #1909 on: April 08, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
I get why we all, as football fans should want this season to be concluded to everyone's satisfaction, regardless of whether that would be bad for Villa's position in the Premier League. However, in all likelihood it will only be concluded at the expense of next season. If next season starts late, say October at the earliest, players are going to be complaining of fixture overload, and the next season won't be able to be extended to compensate due to the rescheduled Euros tournament.

Something has to give. If the game can't continue by mid May I don't see how either one of this season, or next, can not be cancelled.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #1910 on: April 08, 2020, 01:00:48 PM »
3 choices for me.

-Null and void season
-Finish the season as it is and leave the standings as they are.
-Permanently change the football calendar. Take the rest of the year to finish this season, then start the next one in Feb/March until winter, with a break for the Euros.

Online garyellis

« Reply #1911 on: April 08, 2020, 01:15:23 PM »
If the Premier League "hit" is £1bn for not finishing the season, what is our share of that hit and is voiding the season still preferable to relegation?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1912 on: April 08, 2020, 01:28:12 PM »
Unless you are mathematically relegated or promoted you cannot just end the season and count those as final standings. The relegated teams in every instance would fight it in court. The financial consequences could be disastrous especially falling out of the PL.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1913 on: April 08, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
If the Premier League "hit" is £1bn for not finishing the season, what is our share of that hit and is voiding the season still preferable to relegation?
The hit is around £40 million.  We also stand to lose out on around £3.5 million in gate receipts plus sponsorship, merchandise sales and other spin offs.

It is much more preferable to relegation because each club around us will receive similar hits.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1914 on: April 08, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
3 choices for me.

-Null and void season
-Permanently change the football calendar. Take the rest of the year to finish this season, then start the next one in Feb/March until winter, with a break for the Euros.

2 should be a non-starter.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1915 on: April 08, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »
Unless you are mathematically relegated or promoted you cannot just end the season and count those as final standings. The relegated teams in every instance would fight it in court. The financial consequences could be disastrous especially falling out of the PL.
I agree - My only worry is if there is any mileage in averaging out points for the outstanding games.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #1916 on: April 08, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
3 choices for me.

-Null and void season

1 - obvious choice
2 - so many issues with this
3 - how would you ever get caught up?

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1917 on: April 08, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
The choices all revolve around the ability to get next season up and running.  The options (in order of how they'd like them):

1.  Play out this season in June/July in front of crowds
2.  Play out this season in June/July behind closed doors
3.  Null and void this season and start next season in August/September
4.  Null and void ext season and finish this season later in the year/early next year

None are ideal and all will give certain teams advantages and others disadvantages.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1918 on: April 08, 2020, 02:36:21 PM »
I will be taking it that the season is cancelled and simply wait official announcement here in UK.

I'm intrigued by this udiense director as hoping he has credibility I can't think why not as he would not be so wayward to make false claims especially from a country where the death toll is the highest.

The announcement by this Pierpaolo Marino hopefully is accurate because it's not very nice to be making up that the British premier league season will be canceled if it's not the case.
I definitely get vibes that it points to a cancellation as he also mentioned that UK see how bad the situation with the virus is. And to quite "how very very serious it is."
That speaks of someone who knows what's about to get said on the league season.
We're also wondering what Italy , Spain and France 3 of the worst affected by Covid will do because I think it's has to be fair to human kind and clarity and stability to let us cope.

I actually really appreciate hearing some clear news on this and will just have mindset villa will be premier league and go again for next time whenever that is .

Up the villa.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:40:25 PM by Vill I An »

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1919 on: April 08, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »
3 choices for me.

-Null and void season

2 should be a non-starter.
The cancellation of the league is the news that's reported so 1 is the answer and yes understand 2 the non starter .
We think it's been the case that this is the only option and will be taken up as agreed upon.  This is because of the pandemic and the virus in the UK.
1. We all know where football stands
2. Villa stay premier league and go again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal