collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746865 times)

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1710 on: April 05, 2020, 09:18:30 AM »
Sure it has been mentioned in the thread already, but was reading something earlier today questioning whether the timing of the 2022 World Cup might be a factor in all of this. 

The point was that say the end of the season could be played out in September and early October.  Rest of October and November off and the 20/21 season starts in December and runs to end of August.  Euros take place at end of September / October 2021 and 21/22 season starts again in December 21 running through to September / October 22 and then the World Cup takes place in December that year with a view to the next season then starting in August 23 as usual.

A lot of upheaval, but the biggest issue I see there is you would need something to at least the April after the World Cup.
Another thing is that we don't know how it'll pan out, but it was reported that the seasonality the virus could be between a common cold & flu. If that's the case, there may be a lull around August-October then the virus come back for the next winter.

If it turns out to be that, the most sensible course of action may well be to abandon the 2020/21 season, and just try to finish this season in late 2020.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1711 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »

come out ye melts and bams Retweeted
Ruairi McGhabainn@Rorie_82·
8h
James McClean has now donated more to the NHS than the queen and all her family. Yet all you will hear on the news is that he refuses to wear a poppy.

Plus he teaches his kids how to be terrorists.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1712 on: April 05, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »
70% over 2/3
Depending on what vote is.

This will be a different kind of vote though.  It HAS to be decided.  It isn't like a normal resolution that either succeeds or fails.  This decision has to be determined.  I wonder what would happen if the vote was 12-8 or 11-9?

For me, the ability to play next season is key.  If that looks like it can go ahead, most clubs would be in favour of that instead of playing out this season.

As it stands, you would think that some kind of mini pre-season would be required in order to get teams up to speed again and then around 6 weeks to complete the season.  If that can't be done by the end of July, I don't see any other option other than to void the league.

Obviously, if we complete the leagues, the FA Cup and European competitions would also need to be completed.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1713 on: April 05, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »
I love the un-ironic way the PFA is defending no pay cuts because of the loss of Money to the NHS at this time.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1714 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
that fuckwad Taylor's hung on to the gravy train longer than Corbyn - i thought he was supposed to retire a year ago?

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1715 on: April 05, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
Sure it has been mentioned in the thread already, but was reading something earlier today questioning whether the timing of the 2022 World Cup might be a factor in all of this. 

The point was that say the end of the season could be played out in September and early October.  Rest of October and November off and the 20/21 season starts in December and runs to end of August.  Euros take place at end of September / October 2021 and 21/22 season starts again in December 21 running through to September / October 22 and then the World Cup takes place in December that year with a view to the next season then starting in August 23 as usual.

A lot of upheaval, but the biggest issue I see there is you would need something to at least the April after the World Cup.
Another thing is that we don't know how it'll pan out, but it was reported that the seasonality the virus could be between a common cold & flu. If that's the case, there may be a lull around August-October then the virus come back for the next winter.

If it turns out to be that, the most sensible course of action may well be to abandon the 2020/21 season, and just try to finish this season in late 2020.

I heard something similar just more serious, that is, as the weather warms up we could see a lull around June/July/Aug time, they then fully expect a second wave to start around the same time as you would expect the Flu season to start, so, November, they know this virus has the capability to mutate, so it could become less lethal or indeed more lethal, either way the important thing here is the definition in this case of what they mean by lull, so if during the quiet period it still goes on infecting and killing at 10% of the rate its killing at the moment, that is still horrendous, plus what a winter we have to look forward to.

Trump made it clear yesterday in his daily update that he wants America out of lock down at some point very soon, the suggestion was for America to carry on like this would floor the economy, 30% unemployed, probably resulting in more deaths than the virus itself would do, because of the amount of poverty it would cause, any way you look at it its horrendous, we need a vaccine and quick.   

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1716 on: April 05, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »

Agree and to be honest, when the football season starts and ends is not of any real importance at this point.  I do think, however, the timing of the 2022 World Cup does give some flexibility and different options. 

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1717 on: April 05, 2020, 11:33:36 AM »
that fuckwad Taylor's hung on to the gravy train longer than Corbyn - i thought he was supposed to retire a year ago?

The highest paid union leader in the world.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1718 on: April 05, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »

come out ye melts and bams Retweeted
Ruairi McGhabainn@Rorie_82·
8h
James McClean has now donated more to the NHS than the queen and all her family. Yet all you will hear on the news is that he refuses to wear a poppy.

Plus he teaches his kids how to be terrorists.

Yawn.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1719 on: April 05, 2020, 12:11:51 PM »
I love the un-ironic way the PFA is defending no pay cuts because of the loss of Money to the NHS at this time.

Can he put it on the side of the open top bus to be used for the victory parade around the empty streets of Liverpool?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1720 on: April 05, 2020, 12:18:35 PM »
I see "Wazza" has chipped in with his ghost-written (surely? Have you ever seen him write?) column in the Sunday Times about how it in't fair that players are being bullied for cash. Is this the same div who coincidentally wears the same squad number at Derby as the shirt sponsor?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1721 on: April 05, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
Fuck off Rooney.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1722 on: April 05, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »
There's a stark bit at the beginning of one of the Sunderland documentary episodes where it claims the average Premier League wage is £64k per week, then £14 for the Championship and £2k for League One. I think there's a danger of seeing Tottenham wages as the benchmark. There's an obvious link between low wage staff being furloughed while top earners get paid, but otherwise footballers' wages are as unimportant in this crisis as football is.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1723 on: April 05, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »
Oh dear Wayne....
Smeone needs to tell you about millions being laid off and furloughed at 80% and many many self employed with no earnings at all coming in.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1724 on: April 05, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »
Oh dear Wayne....
Smeone needs to tell you about millions being laid off and furloughed at 80% and many many self employed with no earnings at all coming in.

What he needs to understand also is that these millions now laid off, earning no money, could well find in the new order when this virus has passed, the economy is knackered, millions with no money, therefore millions less Sky TV football packages no BT football packages and I very much doubt that season tickets will be a priority over feeding a family, in short no money going into football, the future isn't looking good for millions of people and that will have a knock on effect for football. it needs to show some humility, pretty damn fast.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal