collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season? by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:49:50 PM]

Re: Pepe Reina by CT
[Today at 08:32:03 PM]

Re: Old match tickets by Legion
[Today at 08:07:18 PM]

Re: Pepe Reina by dcdavecollett
[Today at 06:44:35 PM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by Exeter 77
[Today at 04:53:22 PM]

Old match tickets by fredm
[Today at 04:35:22 PM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by LeeB
[Today at 04:17:38 PM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by Damo70
[Today at 03:35:53 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 250865 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1740 on: April 04, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
ďUefa, Europeís football leagues and top clubs have emphasised their determination to complete the 2019-20 season despite the coronavirus shutdown, with Uefa saying it may not accept clubs into next seasonís Champions League if they have not qualified in the normal way.

In a joint letter sent on Thursday night to Europeís national FAs, leagues and top-division clubs, the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, the chairman of the European Club Association, Andrea Agnelli, and Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of European Leagues, maintained that remaining club matches in national leagues and the Champions and Europa Leagues could be completed by playing into July and August. However they acknowledged the scale of the crisis means they do not expect to have a clear idea of how that may be done until mid-May at the earliest.ď

From David Conn.

To be fair that is the exact immoral stance I would expect from UEFA.

It really is pretty fucking disgusting.

These people care about nothing but money.

I'm sort of on the fence with it.

The money pumped in during the season enables clubs to run for the whole year round.

I get that if there is a chance to complete the season, most will want to do so.  Burnley announced today that they stand to lose £50 million if the season is voided.  It's probably money they don't have.  We would probably lose more.

For me, I accept that the leagues should aim to finish if possible (not at all costs or in a way to place anyone in danger).  We are very much in the unknown.  We don't know how long lock down or bans on public gatherings will last.  I have no issue with them keeping on postponing a decision.  I do think that as each day passes, it is less and less likely that the season can be completed.

I wonder whether lifting the ban on 3pm televised games has been introduced in case they can get some kind of behind closed doors system in place?  Again, I have no problem with this as long as it is safe.  It would not be possible to relegate teams though - How could they when we would be deprived of 6 home games compared to some teams 4?

I don't disagree other than UEFA overstepped with the threat to remove teams from the european competitions. There was no need for that and all it really achieves is to encourage leagues to start up again quicker to ensure they keep their seat at the table, it's utterly irresponsible.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1741 on: April 04, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
I realize this UEFA so logical thought goes out of the window. But you would think that they have played out a variety of scenarios tied to the circumstances across Europe at specific points in time. So instead of taking a hard line as indicated in that they activate each scenario accordingly and in doing so remain sensitive and compassionate to the realities that face people/countries/communities that will be decimated by this.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1742 on: April 04, 2020, 05:22:22 PM »
My guess it is Legal Posturing. Because they have contractual obligations with TV and Sponsors they need to be showing that they are doing all they can to meet these obligations.
Knowing they are morally bankrupt is nothing new.

Online aev

• GM : 30.01.2021
« Reply #1743 on: April 04, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
I also wonder how many industries that have been effectively locked down have decided to furlough lower paid staff (and therefore getting the government to pay them) whilst still paying their better paid staff full wages?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1745 on: April 04, 2020, 06:24:20 PM »
I think the last paragraph about deferrals rather than cuts speak volumes.
The bottom line is ,the money to keep paying the players does not exist.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1746 on: April 04, 2020, 06:43:38 PM »
Proof positive itís ONLY about the money.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1747 on: April 04, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
Proof positive itís ONLY about the money.
I think that position was reached a long time ago.
When the FA sold its soul to the Preeeeeeemiership and UEFA itís integrity to the highest bidder. Then there is FIFA.

Online aev

« Reply #1748 on: April 04, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
I think the last paragraph about deferrals rather than cuts speak volumes.
The bottom line is ,the money to keep paying the players does not exist.

Deferrals, yeah why not. Fk it, the rest of the economy is falling apart but as long as we are ok....

Online aj2k77

« Reply #1749 on: April 04, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »
If the wages are deferred, staff put on furlough and then they try and carry on like nothing has happened then that would be the last football I'll watch. Families are losing loved ones. Families are losing jobs. All on a mass scale. Footballers wan't to claw back their sickening wages as soon as possible.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1750 on: April 04, 2020, 08:29:08 PM »
If the wages are deferred, staff put on furlough and then they try and carry on like nothing has happened then that would be the last football I'll watch. Families are losing loved ones. Families are losing jobs. All on a mass scale. Footballers wan't to claw back their sickening wages as soon as possible.

I am so disgusted by the behaviour of football -governing bodies, clubs, players, and above all SKY - in this human catastrophe that I haven't been able to bring myself to even watch old games these past few days where I have been in isolation.

They have shot themselves in the foot. Season should have been voided, the players should have been giving something back from their astronomical fortunes. End of.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1751 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
Yeah right, i'd love to see proof of this £762ml penalty, sounds like fear tactics to me, playing with fire, so lets imagine the season restarts in June, can't be any later, players will have to go back into serious training in about a month, this country will still be being ravaged by Covid at that time, you imagine if any player whatsoever goes down with the virus, the public outcry would be massive, for me the only way this can happen is if the government changes course and dramatically lowers the lockdown to a very moderate state, that's when the government makes the decision money is way more important than human life, I think that time is coming, even if they do what China is now widely considered to be doing, fiddling the numbers to get there industry started again. 

Online aev

« Reply #1752 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
Playing games behind closed doors doesnít solve the problem of players getting it and passing it on. Do we end up with games that canít be played because squads are short of players, or just accept that teams may be made up of reserve teams players?

It is farcical on so many levels.

Online Damo70

« Reply #1753 on: April 04, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »
We should restart the season as soon as possible and give the players the shortest amount of notice possible. Just to see which players have attempted to keep in shape and which haven't been arsed. We could have a weigh in of all the squads and award bonus points for the fittest. If Hogan has lost weight he is one of us, if he has put on weight he is one of them.  ;)

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1754 on: April 04, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
What about Subbuteo, the FA could play the rest of the fixtures out with Subbuteo, great for Villa, most of the side that Smith puts out already looks like that anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal