collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746745 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1665 on: April 03, 2020, 11:24:33 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148768

However, Aston Villa, 19th in the Premier League, two points from safety with a game in hand, could argue that denying them the chance to play that extra match was effectively relegating them.

They could also point out that, with six of their remaining 10 games to be played at Villa Park, they fancied their chances of getting out of trouble.

Being the saddo that I am, I averaged out each teams points on a home and away basis.  Ours was fractionally higher than most, if not all of the others but it still wouldn't have been enough to claw ourselves out of the bottom 3.  Watford's was the worst but even with the extra home games, we wouldn't (by averaging points) bridge the 2 point gap that exists.

Naturally, I am a strong advocate to void the league with no averaging of points from games played.

EDIT*  Just to add to this, I think we'd end up in the bottom 3 by less than 1 point.  You shouldn't be able to relegate a team by 0. something of a point.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:48:45 PM by Brassneck »

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1666 on: April 03, 2020, 11:29:36 PM »
Personally, I would have rather seen it played out to a conclusion. However, as things stand it should be voided. Award Liverpool the title to shut them up and start again in 2020-21 with the fixtures as they were for 2019-20.

The longer the gap the less legitimate it becomes to carry on. Add in neutral venues , no VAR , 5 Subs , weaked teams , allowed to play youth team and no fans ..it's a shambles

100% spot on - It cannot possibly be played out as a season if it goes on beyond the parameters of a season.

Teams have prepared differently and those who were better prepared for the 2nd half/ run in will be unduly penalised.

Playing at neutral venues/behind closed doors also disadvantages those with extra home games (we have 2 more than some).

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1667 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43:56 PM »
I do care because it will represent some sort of return to normal life. I do not think Football has got its  head around the reality of the situation.
There will not be large gatherings of people for some time So they are going to have to rethink the future calendar from some point in the future.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1668 on: April 03, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »
I think we have now gone way past any chance of this season being resurrected. We just need to start afresh at some point in the future. Hopefully August but who knows at this point. Having looked at the current league tables for the first time in ages it would be quite harsh on Leeds, Albion and Coventry but with 27 points still to play for in the EFL the only team to really lose out would be Liverpool.

Offline colin69

« Reply #1669 on: April 04, 2020, 12:20:09 AM »
I think we have now gone way past any chance of this season being resurrected. We just need to start afresh at some point in the future. Hopefully August but who knows at this point. Having looked at the current league tables for the first time in ages it would be quite harsh on Leeds, Albion and Coventry but with 27 points still to play for in the EFL the only team to really lose out would be Liverpool.

Liverpool deserve to win the league (whatever we think of them) i couldn’t give a flying fuck what happens to anyone else......including Villa.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1670 on: April 04, 2020, 02:01:48 AM »
The more you look at this the more you see and hear the end the season now in their current position or average out the games in hand re points. Both of which see us down.

Which makes me even more pissed of with Smith and the team for those 3 utterly insipid performances in 3 of our last 4 league games. Anything in them and we’d have nothing to worry about.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1671 on: April 04, 2020, 03:51:29 AM »

Liverpool deserve to win the league (whatever we think of them) i couldn’t give a flying fuck what happens to anyone else......including Villa.

Deserve? Nope. Not for me, the season hasn't been completed.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1672 on: April 04, 2020, 06:54:03 AM »
even now these fuckwads still can't bring themselves to end the season now. It doesn't matter to me at all now when the PL restarts as i'm never attending another PL game. Repugnant oafs.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1673 on: April 04, 2020, 07:10:47 AM »
Never say never Mr U.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1674 on: April 04, 2020, 07:39:40 AM »
Season needs to be null and void. End of. The oafs at the FA are totally out of touch with the crisis the whole world is in. They remain in their deluded bubble.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1675 on: April 04, 2020, 07:50:17 AM »
A colleague emailed me yesterday and ended by saying that I should have a good weekend and on the bright side at least I didn’t have to watch Villa. I replied that as a Leeds supporter he could empathise with not being able to watch Premier League football for a very long time.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1676 on: April 04, 2020, 07:57:49 AM »
Liverpool are so far ahead that they will be de facto Champions, everyone will be in broad agreement. The fans can sing about it, the pundits can talk about it but it must not show in the records because the season wasn't completed. We won't "stay up" in the traditional sense we just start again in the PL because the season wasn't competed and so it goes on.

What Football has shown once again is the juvenile, illogical refusal to accept what is inevitable, the inability to take it on board and move on.

Such an attitude lead to VAR and look what happened there.....

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1677 on: April 04, 2020, 08:09:16 AM »
Agree Nev.  VAR is a very good example.  The refusal when in a hole to stop digging.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1678 on: April 04, 2020, 09:11:38 AM »
The whole thing is simply being dictated to by money, which is pretty distasteful with everything going on around us.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1679 on: April 04, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »
The whole thing is simply being dictated to by money, which is pretty distasteful with everything going on around us.

Come the eventually restart how much money will there be. Will sky still put as much in ? Will sponsors cut back dramatically?  Corporate entertaing, will companies cut back on that ?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal