collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746569 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1650 on: April 03, 2020, 04:13:30 PM »
That last line stinks!
UEFA need to have a reality check. If 3 or 4 other Countries, specially say the Germans and Spanish, follow the lead of Belgium UEFA competitions will be rendered useless. So they  really should not forget their status. They exist because of national leagues not the other way round. 

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #1651 on: April 03, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
From the Beeb

Premier League clubs will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs as it was announced the season will not resume until "it is safe and appropriate to do so".

All clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players.

The Premier League will give £125m to the EFL and National League, plus £20m to the NHS and vulnerable groups.

Clubs still intend on completing all league and cup fixtures.

The EFL, Women's Super League and Women's Championship have all suspended play without setting a target return date, meaning the entirety of English football is on hold indefinitely.

"Any return to play will only be with the full support of government and when medical guidance allows," the Premier League said.
"It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May - and that the 2019-20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so."

Players had faced scrutiny, notably from health secretary Matt Hancock, to take a cut in wages and "play their part" in offering support during the coronavirus pandemic.

Some clubs had furloughed non-playing staff as a result of the shutdown of the sport.

Captains of the clubs - led by Liverpool skipper Jordan Henderson - have held discussions over the creation of a charitable fund which would likely benefit the NHS.

After Friday's meeting, the Premier League has proposed a cut in wages in order to "protect employment throughout the professional game".

"This guidance will be kept under constant review as circumstances change," the Premier League said. "The League will be in regular contact with the Professional Footballers' Association and the union will join a meeting which will be held tomorrow (Saturday) between the League, players and club representatives."

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1652 on: April 03, 2020, 04:39:16 PM »
Just an observation on the players taking a pay cut thing. If they did that, the owners would be the ones making money. The owners of clubs are the real rich ones. Which is why Spurs and others Furloughing staff is such a fucking disgrace.

Footballers do earn too much but this isn't their issue. We've seen from our own Tyrone Mings that footballers do good things with their money (as well as many idiots too of course).

Kinda where I'm at.

Admittedly I have no idea how clubs arrange the management of the financing of individual parts of their own operations, but I'd not be surprised to find that things like hospitality, catering, grounds keeping and maintenance, ticket office, stewards, pretty much all non-playing ancillary staff are paid through an offshoot or whatever that is funded solely by what comes through the turnstiles.
Telly and sponsors money will go on the players.
And aren't all owners generally rich individuals who've decided they no longer want to be so bought a football club?
All clubs operate to a cliff edge, the persistent levels of debt are testament to that, but they'll have a budget and they'll make sure they spend it. As supporters we'd be annoyed if they didn't. Them seeming to be awash with cash thanks to the very overt way tv and sponsorship deals are trumpeted is something they'll need to work against incredibly hard to convince the public otherwise.

I'd like to see and hear of players doing things off their own bat, tbh.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1653 on: April 03, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
I do not understand the determination to finish this season even if it screws up the next season.

Just draw a damned line under this season. Give Liverpool the title and have no relegation. The idea that this season must be finished no matter what is absurd.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1654 on: April 03, 2020, 05:58:52 PM »
Just an observation on the players taking a pay cut thing. If they did that, the owners would be the ones making money. The owners of clubs are the real rich ones. Which is why Spurs and others Furloughing staff is such a fucking disgrace.

Footballers do earn too much but this isn't their issue. We've seen from our own Tyrone Mings that footballers do good things with their money (as well as many idiots too of course).
Not many owners make money owning football clubs, they often put up huge amounts of their own capital which could often provide greater returns from other enterprise.
The main beneficiaries of the money that has poured into Football are the top professional players. Look at the accounts of the top 30 clubs and up to 85% of total revenue is paid out in players wages.
So players should be the first people to contribute.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1655 on: April 03, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
What money are the owners making with virtually no income currently, no idea when any will come in and the distinct possibility that this 'season' will see less money coming in from the PL/Sky/Sponsorship etc than budgeted for at the beginning of it?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #1656 on: April 03, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »
Why can’t we just be honest and say we are in the shit, the world, the villa    We all secretly want the season to be voided.   No shame in saying it.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1657 on: April 03, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
Personally, I would have rather seen it played out to a conclusion. However, as things stand it should be voided. Award Liverpool the title to shut them up and start again in 2020-21 with the fixtures as they were for 2019-20.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #1658 on: April 03, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »
Personally, I would have rather seen it played out to a conclusion. However, as things stand it should be voided. Award Liverpool the title to shut them up and start again in 2020-21 with the fixtures as they were for 2019-20.

The longer the gap the less legitimate it becomes to carry on. Add in neutral venues , no VAR , 5 Subs , weaked teams , allowed to play youth team and no fans ..it's a shambles

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1659 on: April 03, 2020, 08:58:51 PM »
Why can’t we just be honest and say we are in the shit, the world, the villa    We all secretly want the season to be voided.   No shame in saying it.

Fully on board with this, no shame whatsoever in admitting the fact that if Villa can gain an advantage by staying up, fine, but the fact is Villa could well have survived, hard as that is to believe it could have happened, the season should be over, if for nothing else then for the enormity and overwhelming reality of what we face, for the fact that the NHS and the country in the last 24 hours, have lost 2 beautiful nurses to this insidious disease, heroes one and all and football needs to remember its place in the world because as far as I can see its got way above its station in life, it needs to be very careful becuase when this is said and done, this planet will be in the most severe depression since the thirties, football as with all sport will need all its supporters to stay afloat.     
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 09:02:44 PM by BoVillan esq »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1660 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:53 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148768

However, Aston Villa, 19th in the Premier League, two points from safety with a game in hand, could argue that denying them the chance to play that extra match was effectively relegating them.

They could also point out that, with six of their remaining 10 games to be played at Villa Park, they fancied their chances of getting out of trouble.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #1661 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:55 PM »
can't be arsed reading all posts but wouldn't it be best for you if the FA & Prem league just scrapped this season off ?

start the season again in late August / September providing this virus is under control with the current sides in all divisions

Offline colin69

« Reply #1662 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:15 PM »
I care about Aston Villa but I couldn’t give a toss if we are in the PL or Championship if and when things get back to normal.

I just cannot see this season being completed or football restarting for quite sometime.

There are far more serious things to worry about.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #1663 on: April 03, 2020, 10:11:28 PM »
same as me colin69

human life is far more important than kicking a ball about at the minute

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1664 on: April 03, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »
same as me colin69

human life is far more important than kicking a ball about at the minute

Goodness me Dinas, your couldn't be more right if you tried, we need to be grounded on this and its fantastic on a Villa forum that we see people speaking like this, football is an entertainment and that's all it is in the scheme of things, as I type this there are NHS workers doing there very very very upmost trying to keep people alive, FA, f*** off and grow up and get some.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal