collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746860 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1590 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
Appears the Belgian league is over. Brugge are champions and no relegation but 2 promoted.
This would be great.  Only bettered if there's no promotions.  FTA.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1591 on: April 02, 2020, 02:20:41 PM »
How close is the Belgian 2nd division? How are they deciding who goes up?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1592 on: April 02, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
How close is the Belgian 2nd division? How are they deciding who goes up?

I. Don't. Know.
It's the First Division B, only eight teams, play home and away twice in two phases. And then a relegation phase. Whoda thunk it, Belgians being weird...

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1593 on: April 02, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Actually, looking at it, I think they've actually finished their regular season. They've all played 14 games in the second phase.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1594 on: April 02, 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
English RFU have I think decided to promote and relegate as the table stand (with an adjustment I think for games played).

Saracens had already been relegated for cheating, so makes perfect sense there. They deserve to be punished. We don't deserve to be punished for making the League Cup Final.

They haven’t actually worked out what to do with the Premiership (though the financial cheats will be relegated).

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1595 on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:06 PM »
Actions from some of the clubs around non-playing staff are disgraceful.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1596 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:38 PM »
Maybe blame the PFA as it seems they won't currently allow any wage deductions for players, and have instructed every player not to accept any wage deduction offers until they've spoken to the PFA as a squad and the PFA have seen each club's finances.
It may seem shit that clubs are doing it but they are still paying out massive sums with nothing coming in apart from maybe online merchandise sales.

Online BC Villain

« Reply #1597 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
Gordon Taylor urging players NOT to accept pay cuts.

Utter bastard

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1598 on: April 02, 2020, 08:03:33 PM »
Gordon Taylor urging players NOT to accept pay cuts.

Utter bastard
Utter utter and always has been

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #1599 on: April 02, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
Mrs Exeter has just come in from the doorstep applause to inform me that someone was playing  Sweet Caroline through a boombox and it was suitably punctuated Holte End-style during the chorus by pretty much the whole cul-de-sac!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1600 on: April 02, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
Seems like a negotiating position. No point in condemning while you don't know what the other side are offering. Also worth remembering that the majority of his members are lower league players and not multi-millionaires.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1601 on: April 02, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
Deductions should be graduated as a kind of means test, Premiership players, basically all millionaires. should have they wage reduced by 70%, part should go into a pool to go towards financing the lower leagues out of this crisis, the remainder should go straight into the NHS where anything and everything helps, just that bit more, Championship players as a means tested process, so on and so forth, if Taylor has said this, then somebody needs to pull him to one side and explain to him, things could get very tough for him in the future, remind him that nearly 600 people have died in the past 24 hours and its going to get a lot worse.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1602 on: April 02, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
Maybe blame the PFA as it seems they won't currently allow any wage deductions for players, and have instructed every player not to accept any wage deduction offers until they've spoken to the PFA as a squad and the PFA have seen each club's finances.
It may seem shit that clubs are doing it but they are still paying out massive sums with nothing coming in apart from maybe online merchandise sales.

That’s part of it, but even without that the Premier League clubs are swimming in money and the approach is just a disgrace.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1603 on: April 02, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
Deductions should be graduated as a kind of means test, Premiership players, basically all millionaires. should have they wage reduced by 70%, part should go into a pool to go towards financing the lower leagues out of this crisis, the remainder should go straight into the NHS where anything and everything helps, just that bit more, Championship players as a means tested process, so on and so forth, if Taylor has said this, then somebody needs to pull him to one side and explain to him, things could get very tough for him in the future, remind him that nearly 600 people have died in the past 24 hours and its going to get a lot worse.

Depends if his members have been offered 70%. Have they, I haven't seen that anywhere? If they're being offered 50%, or even being asked to not have any pay for a few months, while other industries are offering 70, 80, 90% of pay then of course he is right to try to stand up for his members. He would be mad to start negotiating from a low base.

You don't know what's on the table.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1604 on: April 02, 2020, 09:00:17 PM »

Depends if his members have been offered 70%. Have they, I haven't seen that anywhere? If they're being offered 50%, or even being asked to not have any pay for a few months, while other industries are offering 70, 80, 90% of pay then of course he is right to try to stand up for his members. He would be mad to start negotiating from a low base.

You don't know what's on the table.

Yeah, I can see what your saying, point is I think we are coming from different ends of the stick, your end is one of negotiation, consensus and doing what best for me, my end is, extraordinary times, unprecedented, dangerous, the rule book is out the window, I'm suggesting they should be made to do it, just has the rest of the country with millions losing jobs having to make sacrifices, having to put there lives on the line for others, football and its little machinations count for nothing, these are not normal times, the other point I would make, if these players don't step up to the plate the public will never ever forgive them, players already get blasted for the money making millionaires of what is fundamentally a working class sport with its roots in the working classes, if they continue to act arrogant in this manner I could actually see a massive down turn in the support for the game.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal