collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED by Toronto Villa
[Today at 11:27:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by sickbeggar
[Today at 11:23:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:13:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Small Rodent
[Today at 11:11:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 11:04:38 PM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by sickbeggar
[Today at 11:01:04 PM]

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019+2020 by tomd2103
[Today at 10:40:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 290714 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1815 on: April 06, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
I still hold that the 'big' leagues in Europe are hamstrung by UEFA not making a definitive decision.
The PL unilaterally dump itself out of CL/EL and live with the repercussions? No fucking chance.

Offline aev

• GM : 30.01.2021
« Reply #1816 on: April 06, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.
My first line was "I've changed my views somewhat"

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A season is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:35:05 PM by aev »

Offline aev

« Reply #1817 on: April 06, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
The Open has now been cancelled.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1818 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Pep Guardiola's mother has died from Coronavirus.  Awful news.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1819 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
you've vehemently disagreed with me whenever i have voiced a similar opinion. It was, as is, only about money - and twenty odd years after selling their souls for it, the day of reckoning has come.

I still think the fairest solution is finishing the season, so believe much of the drive behind this from various quarters was for the right reasons.  I therefore don't accept that it was, as is, only about money.  But I do agree an unsafe early restart (as opposed to eating into next season) would seem to be money and a pretty distasteful outcome. 

In an ideal world we would have been able to finish it but that ship sailed ages ago.

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A less son is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

Exactly right, once you have a 3month gap it isn't the same season. There will be some players who struggle to get fully match fit before these games are played out who were fit and in form before the break, that alone means this won't be a fair reflection of how the season should've finished. If, for example, we stay up and lets go with west ham go down instead they will have a legitimate argument that our respective form before the break means they wouldn't have been relegated and it's impossible to say if they're wrong.

Online Nev

« Reply #1820 on: April 06, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »

If news like this doesn't finally spark the football authorities into some sort of definitive action then I don't know what will.

Offline aev

« Reply #1821 on: April 06, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »

If news like this doesn't finally spark the football authorities into some sort of definitive action then I don't know what will.

Play on, it is what she would have wanted.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1822 on: April 06, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »

You are not really finishing a “season” anyway now. It is simply 2 different leagues stuck together for the the sake of money. A less son is made up of momentum, runs of form, managing injuries suspension etc etc. This will be none of these. And to finish it behind closed doors?

Exactly right, once you have a 3month gap it isn't the same season. There will be some players who struggle to get fully match fit before these games are played out who were fit and in form before the break, that alone means this won't be a fair reflection of how the season should've finished. If, for example, we stay up and lets go with west ham go down instead they will have a legitimate argument that our respective form before the break means they wouldn't have been relegated and it's impossible to say if they're wrong.
I agree.

However, although very flawed, it would still probably be 'fairer' than the alternatives of either deciding places on current points of voiding the season with no promotions or rewards for teams who have peroformed exceptionally for 3/4 of a season (Sheffield etc).

Online Nev

« Reply #1823 on: April 06, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »

I agree.

However, although very flawed, it would still probably be 'fairer' than the alternatives of either deciding places on current points of voiding the season with no promotions or rewards for teams who have peroformed exceptionally for 3/4 of a season (Sheffield etc).

As frustrating as it may be, everyone is having to suck it up and make sacrifices, some unimaginable, so I don't see why football should be any different.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #1824 on: April 06, 2020, 04:41:51 PM »
Exactly.  So you'll be happy if they finish the season on current placings (adopting av points per game for games in hand) and Villa make that sacrifice of course?

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #1825 on: April 06, 2020, 05:11:20 PM »
The integrity of a home and away league season is that all games are played within the same framework, rules and criteria. Playing behind closed doors affects some clubs much more than others and is therefore unfair in my opinion.

I do wonder what the bottom 6 clubs will do if this comes to pass as they will have most to lose - and all clubs in similar positions across Europe. None have said anything yet except Brady at the start of all this.

They’ve just had the chairman of Burnley on Radio 5 live insisting the season should be finished behind closed doors. Easy to say when your club have 39 points and the season is over bar collecting the money.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1826 on: April 06, 2020, 05:34:22 PM »

Awks being Kyle Walker next time he looks him in the eye.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1827 on: April 06, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
If they don't void the season, I'm not sure I will bother with the game when it returns.

The greed and the protection of the top four has been on full view.

Online Nev

« Reply #1828 on: April 06, 2020, 06:01:12 PM »
Exactly.  So you'll be happy if they finish the season on current placings (adopting av points per game for games in hand) and Villa make that sacrifice of course?

I couldn't give care less about our status or place in the PL at the moment, it's just not an issue for me. We'll still have football and a club to follow. Anything other than voiding the season makes assumptions that fly in the face of everything that sport is all about and the twisting and turning of the authorities to try and keep the gravy train running is vulgar and offensive.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #1829 on: April 06, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
In addition to all of the necessary discussion around finishing/voiding the season, the powers that be will have to void or at least amend FFP requirements too given the potentially massive financial fallout from this pandemic.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal