collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 27312 times)

Offline itmustbe_it is!

Re: Southampton 2-0 Utterly gash Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »
The best thing about today was the full English breakfast we had at Frankie and Benny's Banbury on the way down.

The traffic in Southampton after the game made the whole day even worse.

I can't bring myself to talk about the game. I'm generally a "on to the next game" type after we lose, but that was the worst I've seen since the last relegation season.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2020, 10:04:21 PM »
Dean Smith looked like a carbon copy of all our recent managers on the touchline, worried, puzzled what do I do now, will I get the sack today.
You cannot go from playing very well against Spurs one week to then play dreadfully against a team with a woeful home record without the management being questioned.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2020, 10:12:41 PM »
We’ve now given Citeh a huge headache. They will have to field an under strength team v Real  Madrid in the Champions League this week as they will surely need all the first teamers to be fit and ready to go against the mighty Villa!!!!
Answers on a postcard please.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2020, 10:25:47 PM »
We've now lost 43 of our last 65 top flight games and conceded 128 goals in them. That, is depressingly shit.

Holy fucking shit. How bad is that?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to see some names put forth that people believe would be legitimate options, and options we could keep if we still went down.
There are dozens and dozens of very good managers on this list alone.  Why do you think Smith is a better bet than any of them?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

I was asking for opinions from those here on who they want. I know I can look at all sorts of lists, thanks for that. And I do believe Smith is arguably the best option to bring us back if we go down. We're a year ahead of schedule, and he's trying to build something. He needs time to see that build through.

So who do you want? And why? Anyone else have managers they'd like to see at Villa right now that are actually gettable?

If he takes us down it's a total rebuild. We aren't ahead of owt.

Purslow might have said a year ahead of schedule but a man of his eloquence is more than capable of flowering the true situation up with a bullshit sandwich.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »
Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to see some names put forth that people believe would be legitimate options, and options we could keep if we still went down.
There are dozens and dozens of very good managers on this list alone.  Why do you think Smith is a better bet than any of them?

I was asking for opinions from those here on who they want. I know I can look at all sorts of lists, thanks for that. And I do believe Smith is arguably the best option to bring us back if we go down. We're a year ahead of schedule, and he's trying to build something. He needs time to see that build through.

So who do you want? And why? Anyone else have managers they'd like to see at Villa right now that are actually gettable?

Purslow might have said a year ahead of schedule but a man of his eloquence is more than capable of flowering the true situation up with a bullshit sandwich.

We go down , we go down with a team used to losing who will then be stripped of its best players.This idea we will just regroup and bounce back is naive.Look at the teams who have gone down in recent years and look at how many recovered

On Purslow I wouldn't assume his position is safe if we go down either

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2020, 11:07:56 PM »

We may have been ahead of schedule going up last season, but if we get relegated this season, we will be in a far worse position than we were back then.  We had Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham in that side and we won't have anywhere near that kind of quality if we are down there again next season. 

Relegation will be an absolute disaster for us,

Online TonyD

« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »
We really need a hard tackling midfielder that can break up play and cover the defence.  Can’t we loan a player ?

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2020, 11:32:34 PM »

We may have been ahead of schedule going up last season, but if we get relegated this season, we will be in a far worse position than we were back then.  We had Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham in that side and we won't have anywhere near that kind of quality if we are down there again next season. 

Relegation will be an absolute disaster for us,
Exactly. Relegation takes us potentially years backwards. You can only have a schedule or project whilst staying in the Premier League.

We are streets ahead of any other team in terms of shots conceded. We play holding midfielders and there is still no protection. Luiz and Nakamba can throw in the odd good performance, but their application and consistency doesn't stretch more than one game in a row.

The other week, Smith said his teams always come on strong later on in the season. We are going the other way.

Palace, Wolves, Leicester, Sheffield United, Southampton (twice), Watford, Man City...the catalogue of dreadful performances just gets longer. If Smith weren't a Villa fan, I am sure he wouldn't have been cut such a huge amount of slack this season.

Someone mentioned Hourihane coming over to disgruntled fans at the end. All I could lip read was 'we feel the same'.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2020, 11:35:42 PM »
We really need a hard tackling midfielder that can break up play and cover the defence.  Can’t we loan a player ?

Of all the players in the world, of all the choices we could have made, we signed Danny Drinkwater.  Neither a mobile, nor a physical player.  Absolutely shocking decision.  There is a reason why we have conceded so many goals, there is a reason why we concede so many shots against us.  It is because we completely failed to address this issue.  For that alone, I sincerely question whether Dean Smith and certainly Suso are up to it.  I guess Drinkwater must be on a fair whack too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:39:11 PM by Newby »

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »
We were poor,showed a lack of fight and passion and i had to remind the players at half time that it is not acceptable.How many times have i heard Dean Smith say that after a away match this season .Its obvious the players do not listen to him and some of them are spineless and gutless .Sadly he and his management team are out of their depth at this level .28 shots Southampton  had, the worst team at home in the Premier totally outplaying us Time to go Deano

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:50 PM »
They are getting better as players.  My sides generally get better in the second half of the season.  Two other lines from Dean Smith earlier this week. Soundbites.  Show me, don't tell me.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2020, 11:59:58 PM »
I have not been to many away games in recent years but that was the most gutless passive defeatist Disorganized performance I have seen in a long time.
No fight no passion and no fucking idea and our manager stands and watches this pile of shit and does nothing. 3 at the back  isn’t working, playing our best player on the wing isn’t working, keeping players on the pitch that are failing isn’t working.
There is enough ability and talent in the squad to be getting better performances and results than this, but we are all over the place.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2020, 12:16:37 AM »
I have not been to many away games in recent years but that was the most gutless passive defeatist Disorganized performance I have seen in a long time.
No fight no passion and no fucking idea and our manager stands and watches this pile of shit and does nothing. 3 at the back  isn’t working, playing our best player on the wing isn’t working, keeping players on the pitch that are failing isn’t working.
There is enough ability and talent in the squad to be getting better performances and results than this, but we are all over the place.

I've been to loads and they're normally like that!

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
Not even the usual “not good enough but we move on” guff on instagram. Ming’s in his post match looked utterly fucked if with the team. I think the mother of all inquests is needed - again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal