collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BRMB Phone-in  (Read 6031 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: BRMB Phone-in
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 03:11:07 PM »
From 19:48 minutes, Heroes and Villains fanzine get a mention from George Gavin. Shame he went on to call it a gutter rag and would only be of use if he ran out of Andrex.

Would that be the time when he went through pages 2,3, 4, 5 and 7, not mentioning page 6 that was about him?

Dave I don't know what page it was on but according to George it was a sub-human attack on him. Perhaps he was peeved as it wasn't long after someone came on and called him a bastard.

Dishing it out and not being able to take it was a Gavin trait. He had rants about us a few times, and every time our sales went up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2020, 03:30:15 PM »
I'm sure there was at least 1 piece in the fanzine about Gavin and his rants about it, I'm sure I remember reading it/them.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2020, 03:43:36 PM »
From 19:48 minutes, Heroes and Villains fanzine get a mention from George Gavin. Shame he went on to call it a gutter rag and would only be of use if he ran out of Andrex.

Would that be the time when he went through pages 2,3, 4, 5 and 7, not mentioning page 6 that was about him?

Dave I don't know what page it was on but according to George it was a sub-human attack on him. Perhaps he was peeved as it wasn't long after someone came on and called him a bastard.

Dishing it out and not being able to take it was a Gavin trait. He had rants about us a few times, and every time our sales went up.

I seem to recall your pithy editorial thanking him for the free adverts. He was a laughable goon.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
Other Butler moments

Butler was still unable to shake off his controversial image though; in 1989 Radio WM's reporters found themselves banned from covering Wolverhampton Wanderers games after the club accused Butler of making racist comments about one of their black players, Shane Westley.

Tony Butler courted additional controversy on a BBC West Midlands radio programme, broadcast on 28 March 2007. He stated that women should not be in war zones and, commenting on kidnapped British sailor Faye Turney, said that were she decapitated, "it would serve her right."

His outburst prompted a barrage of complaints from listeners, and led the BBC to issue an apology.

Tony Butler may have had his faults, but he's streets ahead of the planks they have on WM now.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
For the first few years Butler was a great, innovative presenter but instead of moving on he got increasingly outspoken - his attacks on Tony Barton, for example, were disgraceful. Then from about 1995 onward he was just a sad old caricature forever going on about the good old days and wrapping his views up in a barely-disguised layer of xenophobia.

George Gavin was just a prick.

Butler was one of the few local journalists that weren't fooled by the MON spin

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

I seem to recall your pithy editorial thanking him for the free adverts. He was a laughable goon.

He was a nasty piece of work, and him and Tom's arguments weren't exactly staged.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
I remember being at a tenth birthday party for BRMB in Cannonhill Park around 1984. George Gavin was all fake tan and three quarter length tracksuit bottoms. He seemed to really fancy himself.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal