collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by Legion
[Today at 08:33:30 PM]

Re: Quiz Time to keep you occupied by Luffbralion
[Today at 08:32:48 PM]

[Today at 08:32:34 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by chrisw1
[Today at 08:30:33 PM]

[Today at 08:26:43 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by David_Nab
[Today at 08:25:15 PM]

[Today at 08:25:11 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by ChicagoLion
[Today at 08:24:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Newbon/Jimmy Greaves argument after Villa vs Blues derby  (Read 1861 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

Re: Gary Newbon/Jimmy Greaves argument after Villa vs Blues derby
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 08:36:19 PM »
Watched the BT sport documentary about him the other day  His goal scoring record is second to none and would have scored lots more for England if he continued playing. Was always very funny on the telly, I think he co commentated on our first game against Inter iirc.

I've got both the argument with Gary Newbon and the above mentioned 2-0 win v Inter Milan on old VHS tapes somewhere in my garage - I'm due a sort out soon and once I've found them will give them both another viewing.

I always refer to the 1-0 win against the rags in October 1983 as the 3rd "Battle of Villa Park - the first being against Albion in 1977 and the second being against Barcelona earlier in 1983.  The game was definitely X rated stuff and today it probably would've ended up about 8 a side.  I remember even the normally mild Dennis Mortimer squaring up to Harford after an incident in the water in front of the old Witton Lane stand.  I still smile when I see Greavsie  putting his case and laugh even more when I think about Peter Withe's winning goal and Nigel Spink's late penalty save.  My 40 year old nephew if the games against the rags were "tasty" and maybe apart from the 0-2 defeat in 2003, I doubt there was a more violent game than this.

On a happier note - that 2-0 win v Inter in 1990 was one of the great nights at Villa Park - how I enjoyed watching it again the next night with as said earlier Jimmy Greaves co commentating alongside Brian Moore being the main man.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 09:22:05 PM »
I've not watched the Inter game back in all the years since. Is a decent-ish quality version knocking about online anywhere?

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2020, 12:48:15 AM »
It's on Youtube:

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2020, 03:05:39 PM »
To this day I still reckon that the 1990 Inter game was right up there for goal celebrations on The Holte. After the second goal I had totally lost all of the mates I always stood with and I am not sure I was still in the B6 post code area. It was ages before we all regrouped together.