collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148898 times)

Online Marlon From Bearwood

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #990 on: July 14, 2020, 12:50:12 PM »
We were 80/1 to get promoted on 1st March last season. We then beat Derby 4-0 and dropped to 33/1, at which point my mate lumped on us. He was particularly happy at Wembley after the PO Final.
8 of us went for a few pints after WBA beat us at VP. We put £80 on the Villa to go up ay 50/1. We enjoyed wembley as well. There have ben a few suggestions that we put another 80 on us to stay up.

I watched this market closely and never saw us getting near 80/1, which bookies did you use?

It wasn't me, it was my mate who took the bet at 33/1 who told me that. He may have exaggerated or just been mistaken, and it may have been closer to 50/1.

Either way it’s more of a long shot than us staying up this season!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:53:00 PM by Marlon From Bearwood »

Offline garyellis

« Reply #991 on: July 14, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »
It will still take a monumental effort from the lads to still be in with a chance of survival against West Ham. It will also require other results to go our way.  But there's still hope. On the flipside relegation would give us parachute payments to rebuild the squad plus a huge amount from the sale of Jack is available for us to spend as he's a home grown player. Then we do still have wealthy owners who will have watched Man City smash ffp and they will be looking at the implications for clubs like us. So stay up and build the squad or get relegated and still be in a good position to rebuild. Either way I'm still optimistic for a bright future at Villa Park. It feels nothing like the gloomy days of our previous relegation and if we do go down I'll be backing us with a hefty bet on an immediate return.
This is where I am now - the end of the world it is not and nothing like the position we were in last time we got relegated

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #992 on: July 14, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »
If we beat Everton it'll give us a very decent chance of staying up.

It's doable and I still feel like it's in our hands, even if it technically isn't.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #993 on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:27 PM »
I’m slightly more confident we could beat Arsenal having just seen their fixtures - it could be a good time to play them.

They play Liverpool tomorrow then Man City on Saturday night in the FA Cup semi final. With a bit of luck they will be tired and demoralised with nothing to play for come next Tuesday.

Just means that we’d still have hope even if we fail to beat Everton on Thursday.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #994 on: July 14, 2020, 01:23:59 PM »
It will still take a monumental effort from the lads to still be in with a chance of survival against West Ham. It will also require other results to go our way.  But there's still hope. On the flipside relegation would give us parachute payments to rebuild the squad plus a huge amount from the sale of Jack is available for us to spend as he's a home grown player. Then we do still have wealthy owners who will have watched Man City smash ffp and they will be looking at the implications for clubs like us. So stay up and build the squad or get relegated and still be in a good position to rebuild. Either way I'm still optimistic for a bright future at Villa Park. It feels nothing like the gloomy days of our previous relegation and if we do go down I'll be backing us with a hefty bet on an immediate return.

I'm not sure I'd say monumental effort to be honest a win and a defeat in the next 2 would almost certainly see us still within 2 points of safety going into the last game.
Quite a big effort then? Considering Palace was only our 3rd win this year?

quite big I can accept, monumental was the term I disagreed with.
My bad.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #995 on: July 14, 2020, 01:37:44 PM »
Double edged sword for me, if we stay up it's another season of staying up til the very late hours watching us get beat and paying the 16 dollars a month for the pleasure. If we go down i will get to see Villa live once a month if lucky playing some really crap sides.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #996 on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
There's an awful lot of straw clutching on here.

Offline cdward

« Reply #997 on: July 14, 2020, 02:15:16 PM »
Yep, that Watford v Arsenal game scares me. Never rely on Arsenal.
Watford will win. Deeney will score the winner.

Fixed.

Thank McGrath we don't have to play Watford last game,  you could bet your house on Deeney sending us packing.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #998 on: July 14, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
I’m slightly more confident we could beat Arsenal having just seen their fixtures - it could be a good time to play them.

They play Liverpool tomorrow then Man City on Saturday night in the FA Cup semi final. With a bit of luck they will be tired and demoralised with nothing to play for come next Tuesday.

Just means that we’d still have hope even if we fail to beat Everton on Thursday.

Extra Time and Pens v Man City before a win would have them excited but tired and focused on the cup.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #999 on: July 14, 2020, 02:58:28 PM »

For some reason I thought we were playing at weekend and cups were in the midweek. Even better then as Thursday-Tuesday is a good rest period so we can go full pelt in the Arsenal game and Man. City game will probably take a fair bit out of Arsenal.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1000 on: July 15, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »
Finally, a game where we come into it more rested than the opponents. I now fancy us more to beat Arsenal than Everton. Just have a feeling that Ancelotti will not put-up with another performance like the one at Wolves and those Everton players will be playing for their futures.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1001 on: July 15, 2020, 01:14:07 AM »

Think the size of the task is reflected in the fact that even with
 two wins in the next two games, we would still be taking it to the last day. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1002 on: July 15, 2020, 08:35:20 AM »
If we can beat Everton and it's a big if the momentum going into the Arsenal game would be huge.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1003 on: July 15, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
Quote from: Big Ming link=topic=60603.msg3791071#msg3791071 date=1594731

What do you expect?!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1004 on: July 15, 2020, 09:12:32 AM »

At least we've still got some straws to clutch on to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal