collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 74756 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #765 on: July 06, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
We basically spent 100 million on a load of squad fillers by binning off our original squad fillers for zero.  We upgraded our goalkeeper but actually went backwards in RCB and main Striker.

Which of our squad fillers would you have kept that would have made any difference? I donít think any of them would have.

Iíd very much imagine we looked at trying to get both Axel and Tammy but it obviously wasnít possible. Thatís the issue with the loan market.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #766 on: July 06, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Because most of the players last season were either on loan or leaving.
Whilst it's true the squad needed replacements, those factors were known and it doesn't explain or justify why the team that went up last season was better than the current one.

That just highlights how poor the management and recruitment have been for us to have ended up like this.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #767 on: July 06, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
8 points will keep us up. We have to beat Palace and West Ham and scramble 2 points from Man United, Everton and Arsenal. 8 points and we're OK. 7 and we're only ol if there's a big goal difference swing.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #768 on: July 06, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
8 points will keep us up. We have to beat Palace and West Ham and scramble 2 points from Man United, Everton and Arsenal. 8 points and we're OK. 7 and we're only ol if there's a big goal difference swing.

Its just getting the goals to win those games though. The two goals we have scored since the re-start have come from defenders which is great but it's obviously not good enough at the moment.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #769 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
Cometh the hour cometh the men.

We may have a Villa legend in the wings.  Or then again we may not.

I just want this horrible, horrible year to be over.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #770 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

Offline Ads

« Reply #771 on: July 06, 2020, 10:38:58 AM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

Suggests to me its the time to start. I'm not convinced, ever, by an argument that says I cannot achieve something today, because I couldn't do it yesterday.

That's what I think we need to do, as I think Watford will beat Norwich and possibly one of Newcastle or West Ham. The execution of it is going to be difficult, but easy is for everybody, the impossible is for the immortal.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #772 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »

You could quite easily apply the same logic to Watford and Bournemouth.

Online hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #773 on: July 06, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
Suggests to me its the time to start. I'm not convinced, ever, by an argument that says I cannot achieve something today, because I couldn't do it yesterday.
It's not so much about 'can we' or can't we'.  In the sense that it's possible, of course we can.  But is it likely?  And is it more likely today than it was yesterday?

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #774 on: July 06, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I think the main issue with the remaining games now is the fact that before we kick off against Palace on Sunday, we could quite feasibly be 7 points behind Watford and a few goals if they beat Norwich and Newcastle, which would look massive at this point of the season and be very demoralising.  I can't see us getting out of it now.

I suppose the flip of that is if we were still only a point behind it would be a huge lift!

Offline Ads

« Reply #775 on: July 06, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
It's not so much about 'can we' or can't we'.  In the sense that it's possible, of course we can.  But is it likely?  And is it more likely today than it was yesterday?

Anything is more likely outside the top 2, so yes, based on Sunday I feel we're more likely to beat Man United than we were before yesterday (we're mixing the literal and metaphoric).

Is going to be easy? No. Do we have deficiencies? God yes, especially going forwards.

But with a solid block, good organisation and a growing confidence (which you could see second half) then yeah, why not. I thought Sunday could be a massacre, I'm not a triumphalist in defeat, but there was positives. Much more positive than Watford at Chelsea.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:23:58 AM by Ads »

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #776 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:31 AM »

Watford are a point above us, are out of the relegation spots and have to play Norwich next.  Bournemouth will be going down with us and Norwich.

Offline Ads

« Reply #777 on: July 06, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
They're likely to beat Norwich. But Newcastle have hit form and look decent of late, West Ham will see it as the game to win to seal survival. I think Watford will do well to get 7 points, given their form and performances are worse than ours. Get 8 and we're safe, but we're dealing with the maximum thresholds.

Offline ez

« Reply #778 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:57 PM »

Watford are a point above us, are out of the relegation spots and have to play Norwich next.  Bournemouth will be going down with us and Norwich.

The depressing thing is all those that sacked their managers mid season are looking like benefitting from it.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #779 on: July 06, 2020, 03:30:57 PM »

The depressing thing is all those that sacked their managers mid season are looking like benefitting from it.

Not as simple as that though is it. West Ham have picked up three more points than us in the time since Moyes was appointed.
And Brighton have managed to get to safety without changing their manager

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal