collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 73658 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #750 on: July 05, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »
Iím not sure what point there is in playing Vassilev. He doesnít look ready for the first team to me.

Heís no worse than Davis.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #751 on: July 05, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
Iím not sure what point there is in playing Vassilev. He doesnít look ready for the first team to me.

Heís no worse than Davis.
it would be difficult to be worse than Davis

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #752 on: July 05, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
We're going down like Buddy Holly.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #753 on: July 05, 2020, 09:28:57 PM »
Watford beat Norwich tomorrow and then theres a 4 point gap with an inferior goal difference, and I think thats as good as us gone.

I highly doubt we'll get 5 points from the next 5 games, and that Watford wont pick up any more points.

Come on Delia, Let's Be 'Aving You

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #754 on: July 05, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
We're going down like Buddy Holly.

Not in the best of taste

Offline algy

« Reply #755 on: July 05, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »
To me, it looks like it's going to be a one-on-one scrap between ourselves and Watford.  Think it'll be close.  They're a point and +1GD ahead, but looking at the two sets of fixtures (theirs in order)

WatfordUs
Norwich (h)Crystal Palace (h)
Newcastle (h)Everton (a)
West Ham (a)West Ham (a)
Man City (h)Man Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)Arsenal (h)

... you'd probably just take their fixtures over ours, but I'm not sure there's a massive difference ... and IMO we look more likely to pick up points than they do right now.

I dunno, I'm still moderately optimistic that we'll stay up at the moment.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #756 on: July 05, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #757 on: July 05, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »
To me, it looks like it's going to be a one-on-one scrap between ourselves and Watford.  Think it'll be close.  They're a point and +1GD ahead, but looking at the two sets of fixtures (theirs in order)

WatfordUs
Norwich (h)Crystal Palace (h)
Newcastle (h)Everton (a)
West Ham (a)West Ham (a)
Man City (h)Man Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)Arsenal (h)

... you'd probably just take their fixtures over ours, but I'm not sure there's a massive difference ... and IMO we look more likely to pick up points than they do right now.

I dunno, I'm still moderately optimistic that we'll stay up at the moment.
The order of the matches is very significant, although you've put Watford's in order but not ours.

The likelihood is that by Thursday, they will be 4 points clear with at least a 5 goal better goal difference, and with Newcastle at home to follow, it could be even worse by the time we face Palace.

It's not in our own hands and we have scraped 2 points from the last 27. We are relying on the ineptitude of others to even have a chance of staying up

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Because most of the players last season were either on loan or leaving.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #759 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:39 AM »
I can certainly see Watford taking 4 points from Norwich and Newcastle (realistically it will be over if they get 6 points). I can also see them losing their last 3. Potential for their GD to get much worse as Man. City beat them 8-0 earlier this season and won 6-0 at Vicarage road a few years ago.

Imagine if you said in August all we needed was 32 points to stay in the league. I doubt anyone would've thought we'd struggle to make that.

It's in our interests for West Ham to beat Watford and be safe by final day. Saw how half hearted Liverpool were today without anything to play for.

Online Villan82

« Reply #760 on: July 06, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
As others have said, the last ten years have been a slog. But this season is the biggest kick in the balls of the lot.

I genuinely think there is more potential in this squad than some of the dross under Lambert or Sherwood.

If the worst happens, we will look back on this season as the real sucker punch. It hurts way more than 2015-16. We have under-achieved.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 31.12.2020
« Reply #761 on: July 06, 2020, 01:13:08 AM »
The biggest decision management had to make last year was who to bring in to compensate for losing our leading goal scorer, they failed miserably, and it set the season up for failure.
When we fall behind in games the games over because we do not have a decent forward on our books except Grealish. It's a monumental failure of management.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #762 on: July 06, 2020, 03:44:57 AM »
We basically spent 100 million on a load of squad fillers by binning off our original squad fillers for zero.  We upgraded our goalkeeper but actually went backwards in RCB and main Striker.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #763 on: July 06, 2020, 04:34:44 AM »
Last 9 games: 2 points from 27 is appalling!  Any other club would've sacked their manager by now.....

Offline Luke8

« Reply #764 on: July 06, 2020, 07:47:24 AM »
The biggest decision management had to make last year was who to bring in to compensate for losing our leading goal scorer, they failed miserably, and it set the season up for failure.
When we fall behind in games the games over because we do not have a decent forward on our books except Grealish. It's a monumental failure of management.

He clearly has flaws, but when Wesley got injured we had 21 points from 21 games, I believe. He also had five league goals at that point. To compare, just as Iíve seen them mentioned as alternatives (if we had x player etc.) at this current point of the season, Maupay has nine, Wilson eight and Deeney has six.

Donít think itís particularly outlandish to say that had he not got injured we would quite likely have seen at least a couple more goals and points.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal