collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148921 times)

Offline Villan82

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #735 on: July 06, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
As others have said, the last ten years have been a slog. But this season is the biggest kick in the balls of the lot.

I genuinely think there is more potential in this squad than some of the dross under Lambert or Sherwood.

If the worst happens, we will look back on this season as the real sucker punch. It hurts way more than 2015-16. We have under-achieved.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #736 on: July 06, 2020, 01:13:08 AM »
The biggest decision management had to make last year was who to bring in to compensate for losing our leading goal scorer, they failed miserably, and it set the season up for failure.
When we fall behind in games the games over because we do not have a decent forward on our books except Grealish. It's a monumental failure of management.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #737 on: July 06, 2020, 03:44:57 AM »
We basically spent 100 million on a load of squad fillers by binning off our original squad fillers for zero.  We upgraded our goalkeeper but actually went backwards in RCB and main Striker.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #738 on: July 06, 2020, 04:34:44 AM »
Last 9 games: 2 points from 27 is appalling!  Any other club would've sacked their manager by now.....

Offline Luke8

« Reply #739 on: July 06, 2020, 07:47:24 AM »
The biggest decision management had to make last year was who to bring in to compensate for losing our leading goal scorer, they failed miserably, and it set the season up for failure.
When we fall behind in games the games over because we do not have a decent forward on our books except Grealish. It's a monumental failure of management.

He clearly has flaws, but when Wesley got injured we had 21 points from 21 games, I believe. He also had five league goals at that point. To compare, just as I’ve seen them mentioned as alternatives (if we had x player etc.) at this current point of the season, Maupay has nine, Wilson eight and Deeney has six.

Don’t think it’s particularly outlandish to say that had he not got injured we would quite likely have seen at least a couple more goals and points.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #740 on: July 06, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
We basically spent 100 million on a load of squad fillers by binning off our original squad fillers for zero.  We upgraded our goalkeeper but actually went backwards in RCB and main Striker.

Which of our squad fillers would you have kept that would have made any difference? I don’t think any of them would have.

I’d very much imagine we looked at trying to get both Axel and Tammy but it obviously wasn’t possible. That’s the issue with the loan market.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #741 on: July 06, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Because most of the players last season were either on loan or leaving.
Whilst it's true the squad needed replacements, those factors were known and it doesn't explain or justify why the team that went up last season was better than the current one.

That just highlights how poor the management and recruitment have been for us to have ended up like this.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #742 on: July 06, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
8 points will keep us up. We have to beat Palace and West Ham and scramble 2 points from Man United, Everton and Arsenal. 8 points and we're OK. 7 and we're only ol if there's a big goal difference swing.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #743 on: July 06, 2020, 10:24:39 AM »
8 points will keep us up. We have to beat Palace and West Ham and scramble 2 points from Man United, Everton and Arsenal. 8 points and we're OK. 7 and we're only ol if there's a big goal difference swing.

Its just getting the goals to win those games though. The two goals we have scored since the re-start have come from defenders which is great but it's obviously not good enough at the moment.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #744 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
Cometh the hour cometh the men.

We may have a Villa legend in the wings.  Or then again we may not.

I just want this horrible, horrible year to be over.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #745 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #746 on: July 06, 2020, 10:38:58 AM »
Two points from the last 27 would suggest that 7 or 8 from the last 15 is something of a forlorn hope.  I don't think we've managed 8 points from 5 games at any point this season, and our utter toothlessness in front of a goal would suggest we're not about to start now.

Suggests to me its the time to start. I'm not convinced, ever, by an argument that says I cannot achieve something today, because I couldn't do it yesterday.

That's what I think we need to do, as I think Watford will beat Norwich and possibly one of Newcastle or West Ham. The execution of it is going to be difficult, but easy is for everybody, the impossible is for the immortal.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #747 on: July 06, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »

You could quite easily apply the same logic to Watford and Bournemouth.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #748 on: July 06, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
Suggests to me its the time to start. I'm not convinced, ever, by an argument that says I cannot achieve something today, because I couldn't do it yesterday.
It's not so much about 'can we' or can't we'.  In the sense that it's possible, of course we can.  But is it likely?  And is it more likely today than it was yesterday?

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #749 on: July 06, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I think the main issue with the remaining games now is the fact that before we kick off against Palace on Sunday, we could quite feasibly be 7 points behind Watford and a few goals if they beat Norwich and Newcastle, which would look massive at this point of the season and be very demoralising.  I can't see us getting out of it now.

I suppose the flip of that is if we were still only a point behind it would be a huge lift!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal