collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148903 times)

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #720 on: July 05, 2020, 07:38:27 PM »
Even taking an optimistic view, there will be a reckoning and that will be West Ham, i don't fancy that to have to survive. 

2 points from the last 27. Don’t think it will get as far as West Ham.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #721 on: July 05, 2020, 07:47:23 PM »
We are so easy to play against.  Be patient and wait for us to make the mistake.  Today, it was Neil Taylor's turn.  Our midfielders player too far apart, we don't hunt in packs, our wingers are indecisive and cross to nobody anyway, we can't retain the ball as passes go awry. 

Those saying that Jack hangs on to the ball too long are very short sighted.  It's a tactic to draw a foul, an opportunity to get the ball into the box, or take the steam out of a situation, to give players time to draw breath and reorganise.  If our free kicks were any good, we would be more of a force to be reckoned with. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #722 on: July 05, 2020, 08:03:12 PM »
Said elsewhere that we could still stay up if we could sort out the appalling current strike force options. Davis is simply not good enough. Can't even suggest Archer as an option as he has not been selected to train with the first team and there is no current Academy provision.

Archer is completely untried at this level and he's behind Vassilev (and Barry if rumours about him being close to the match-day squad are true) in the pecking order.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #723 on: July 05, 2020, 08:07:36 PM »
Same applies to Vassilev and Barry. Both untried. I agree that Smith prefers Vassilev.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #724 on: July 05, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
I’m not sure what point there is in playing Vassilev. He doesn’t look ready for the first team to me.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #725 on: July 05, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »
I’m not sure what point there is in playing Vassilev. He doesn’t look ready for the first team to me.

He’s no worse than Davis.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #726 on: July 05, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »

He’s no worse than Davis.
it would be difficult to be worse than Davis

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #727 on: July 05, 2020, 09:04:31 PM »
We're going down like Buddy Holly.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #728 on: July 05, 2020, 09:28:57 PM »
Watford beat Norwich tomorrow and then theres a 4 point gap with an inferior goal difference, and I think thats as good as us gone.

I highly doubt we'll get 5 points from the next 5 games, and that Watford wont pick up any more points.

Come on Delia, Let's Be 'Aving You

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #729 on: July 05, 2020, 09:35:20 PM »
We're going down like Buddy Holly.

Not in the best of taste

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #730 on: July 05, 2020, 11:36:59 PM »
To me, it looks like it's going to be a one-on-one scrap between ourselves and Watford.  Think it'll be close.  They're a point and +1GD ahead, but looking at the two sets of fixtures (theirs in order)

WatfordUs
Norwich (h)Crystal Palace (h)
Newcastle (h)Everton (a)
West Ham (a)West Ham (a)
Man City (h)Man Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)Arsenal (h)

... you'd probably just take their fixtures over ours, but I'm not sure there's a massive difference ... and IMO we look more likely to pick up points than they do right now.

I dunno, I'm still moderately optimistic that we'll stay up at the moment.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #731 on: July 05, 2020, 11:50:14 PM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #732 on: July 05, 2020, 11:54:51 PM »
To me, it looks like it's going to be a one-on-one scrap between ourselves and Watford.  Think it'll be close.  They're a point and +1GD ahead, but looking at the two sets of fixtures (theirs in order)

WatfordUs
Norwich (h)Crystal Palace (h)
Newcastle (h)Everton (a)
West Ham (a)West Ham (a)
Man City (h)Man Utd (h)
Arsenal (a)Arsenal (h)

... you'd probably just take their fixtures over ours, but I'm not sure there's a massive difference ... and IMO we look more likely to pick up points than they do right now.

I dunno, I'm still moderately optimistic that we'll stay up at the moment.
The order of the matches is very significant, although you've put Watford's in order but not ours.

The likelihood is that by Thursday, they will be 4 points clear with at least a 5 goal better goal difference, and with Newcastle at home to follow, it could be even worse by the time we face Palace.

It's not in our own hands and we have scraped 2 points from the last 27. We are relying on the ineptitude of others to even have a chance of staying up

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #733 on: July 06, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
The advantage Watford have is in the sequence of their fixtures, that Norwich game they have is pivotal as a win and they'll gain confidence.  We dont seem to be a team that can respond when under pressure either.

I still cant get my head around how we've ended up 12 months on from the Championship having a team thats actually worse than the one we went up with.

Because most of the players last season were either on loan or leaving.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #734 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:39 AM »
I can certainly see Watford taking 4 points from Norwich and Newcastle (realistically it will be over if they get 6 points). I can also see them losing their last 3. Potential for their GD to get much worse as Man. City beat them 8-0 earlier this season and won 6-0 at Vicarage road a few years ago.

Imagine if you said in August all we needed was 32 points to stay in the league. I doubt anyone would've thought we'd struggle to make that.

It's in our interests for West Ham to beat Watford and be safe by final day. Saw how half hearted Liverpool were today without anything to play for.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal