collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 149095 times)

Offline ez

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #660 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »
Let's just enjoy being 18th for a few days and not think about liverpool.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #661 on: July 02, 2020, 01:37:25 PM »
Imagine if we need to get to 30 points to stay up (say Watford just draw 2 and lose 4 of their last six which is possible) and we can't even reach that!

We had 25 points by January 21st after beating Watford so would've had nearly half a season to find one win so a pretty pathetic way to get relegated if we can't even do that.

Shows how long we've been in terrible form and I really can't see any way DS should continue next season if we go down in that manner.

Would be a bit different if we suddenly showed some fight and got a couple of wins and draws from games left but West Ham and Watford started winning and so we needed to get to 38 points to stay up and that was too much to do.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #662 on: July 02, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »
Losing to Bournemouth twice, Watford away and dropping points v West Ham is what ultimately is going to relegate us. It’s our own bloody fault. Not been good enough and we’ve crumbled.

Also Southampton away. A vital game we threw away as the players weren’t prepared to scrap and risk injury with the big glory final a week away.

One of the first glimpses that Jack had seen enough too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #663 on: July 02, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
Worth noting though that if Mings hadn't scored in 94th minute in the Watford home game they'd be four clear of us so things could be worse.

For me our record v top 6/7 is more reason if we go down. In normal seasons it wouldn't matter so much but every other week one of our rivals is getting a "shock" win v them. All the more pathetic when you see how many times we were leading v one of them in the second half and we couldn't even close out a draw.

Draws v Liverpool and Spurs at home and we'd be 17th.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #664 on: July 02, 2020, 02:06:01 PM »
Only consolation i can see is since we've returned we've lost to teams who are miles better than us  If anything on form, newcastle and sheffield united look good results. Anything from Liverpool and ManU would be a miracle, so really its down to 4 games where the chances of a win are more than a fluke. Palace and arsenal are must wins.  A draw at everton is possible.  34 points at a nervous/safe west ham for the final game?  Doable.
How does Sheffield look a good result?  Forgetting their position in the table they've been dreadful since the restart and were absolutely there for the taking.  Our failure to capitalise on that opportunity is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Yes, you're right, our season all comes down to only getting a draw at home to Sheffield United, who were in the Top 7 when we played them in the first game anyone had played in 100 days..
On the day Sheffield were really poor (and have been since) and it was a big opportunity that we didn't take.  I think winning that game would have completely changed the complexion of where we are now, both in terms of points and mentality,  but if you don't that's fair enough.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #665 on: July 02, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »

For me our record v top 6/7 is more reason if we go down. In normal seasons it wouldn't matter so much but every other week one of our rivals is getting a "shock" win v them. All the more pathetic when you see how many times we were leading v one of them in the second half and we couldn't even close out a draw.

Saw something the other day, showing that our results against the ‘Other 14’ teams was better than Brighton, Watford, West Ham, Bournemouth and Norwich. But all of them have managed to take at least five points from the ‘big six.

Obviously doesn’t ultimately matter who you take the points from but makes it all quite frustrating.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #666 on: July 02, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »
Losing to Bournemouth twice, Watford away and dropping points v West Ham is what ultimately is going to relegate us. It’s our own bloody fault. Not been good enough and we’ve crumbled.

Also Southampton away. A vital game we threw away as the players weren’t prepared to scrap and risk injury with the big glory final a week away.

One of the first glimpses that Jack had seen enough too.

100%

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #667 on: July 02, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »
I sense that there's results being attributed to other sides that haven't happened.

Mini league since the restart

Edited, now with shots/on target tacked on

West Ham   P3 W1 D0 L2 F3 A6 27/8
Aston Villa   P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A4 47/13
Watford      P3 W0 D1 L2 F2 A5 26/9
B'mouth      P3 W0 D0 L3 F1 A7 28/2
Norwich      P3 W0 D0 L3 F0 A8 26/4

I can't square this circle of apparently having no fight or bottle compared to our immediate peers when we've conceded the fewest goals (including the only clean sheet in the 16 games played so far) and had the most efforts.
I'm in agreement here - relative to the sides around us, I think we've done alright since the restart.  We've had the hardest set of games out of any of the bottom 5, with the possible exception of West Ham.

Bournemouth look done for now.  Norwich have a relatively good set of fixtures for the run-in, but I suspect they might've just given themselves a bit too much to do.  West Ham have a relatively easy run in too, and seem to be doing alright.  Think the battle will be between ourselves and Watford.  Of those, I'd rather be in our shoes than their's in every matter except the number of points we're starting on.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
Worth noting though that if Mings hadn't scored in 94th minute in the Watford home game they'd be four clear of us so things could be worse.

Draws v Liverpool and Spurs at home and we'd be 17th.

Mings knew nothing about it, it was Konsa's goal!

richtheholtender

« Reply #669 on: July 02, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
I sense that there's results being attributed to other sides that haven't happened.

Mini league since the restart

Edited, now with shots/on target tacked on

West Ham   P3 W1 D0 L2 F3 A6 27/8
Aston Villa   P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A4 47/13
Watford      P3 W0 D1 L2 F2 A5 26/9
B'mouth      P3 W0 D0 L3 F1 A7 28/2
Norwich      P3 W0 D0 L3 F0 A8 26/4

I can't square this circle of apparently having no fight or bottle compared to our immediate peers when we've conceded the fewest goals (including the only clean sheet in the 16 games played so far) and had the most efforts.
I'm in agreement here - relative to the sides around us, I think we've done alright since the restart.  We've had the hardest set of games out of any of the bottom 5, with the possible exception of West Ham.

Bournemouth look done for now.  Norwich have a relatively good set of fixtures for the run-in, but I suspect they might've just given themselves a bit too much to do.  West Ham have a relatively easy run in too, and seem to be doing alright.  Think the battle will be between ourselves and Watford.  Of those, I'd rather be in our shoes than their's in every matter except the number of points we're starting on.

I think Watford will beat Norwich and draw with Newcastle.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »
Liverpool [A]
Man Utd [H]
Crystal Palace [H]
Everton [A]
Arsenal [H]
West Ham [A]

Put your hearts away in a box somewhere for a second, and look at the above fixture list.
With the manager we have in charge, the form of our team, and the 'coming into form' of a lot of those opponents, I can see us picking up a maximum haul of 3 pts from that lot (and that's if Palace don't show up!).

We have to BETTER Watford or West Ham's results to stay up. They have a handful of tricky ties too, but there's no point working out which games they can and can't win - Can you really see us taking points off any of those teams above, the form we're in?!

I'm pretty certain we're gone already - Smith should have been potted at Christmas.

Offline postal

« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
Well, Watford's run of Chelsea, Norwich, Newcastle, WHam, ManC & Arsenal, could be a run of draws, other than Norwich. So that's 4 draws, 1 win and a loss to ManC
7 points

WHam that win and a handful of draws will see them safe

Us... 7 points at best

B'mouth are in a very sticky situation

So Mystic Postal has spoken, it's B'mouth and us, Watford safe by a point....

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2020, 10:33:15 PM »
Easy 3 points on Sunday now!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #673 on: July 02, 2020, 11:30:44 PM »
Aftab- I’ve spent the last couple of weeks looking out for other teams’ results and checking the table. After West Ham beat Chelsea I told myself  enough’ enough of that. Down to us now to scrape home. Fk everyone else, although Watford look like getting dragged in now...
Agreed Robbo. We must not die hoping we have to do something about it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #674 on: July 03, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
Well, Watford's run of Chelsea, Norwich, Newcastle, WHam, ManC & Arsenal, could be a run of draws, other than Norwich. So that's 4 draws, 1 win and a loss to ManC
7 points

WHam that win and a handful of draws will see them safe

Us... 7 points at best

B'mouth are in a very sticky situation

So Mystic Postal has spoken, it's B'mouth and us, Watford safe by a point....
zMystic ?
I voted those 3 2nd of Feb mate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal