collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 148968 times)

Offline WassallVillain

Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #645 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
Can't imagine Trez or AEG producing a finish like Yarmolenko managed at the end.

Grealish could do that but of course he would be fouled before he had the chance.  Compare last nights foul stats from similar possession stats.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #646 on: July 02, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
Only consolation i can see is since we've returned we've lost to teams who are miles better than us  If anything on form, newcastle and sheffield united look good results. Anything from Liverpool and ManU would be a miracle, so really its down to 4 games where the chances of a win are more than a fluke. Palace and arsenal are must wins.  A draw at everton is possible.  34 points at a nervous/safe west ham for the final game?  Doable.
How does Sheffield look a good result?  Forgetting their position in the table they've been dreadful since the restart and were absolutely there for the taking.  Our failure to capitalise on that opportunity is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #647 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
Yarmalenko cost more than El Ghazi and Trezeguet put together.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #648 on: July 02, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »
erm......you can't really forget their position in the table. They are 17 points ahead of us and have let in 23 less goals.  For all their iffy form since the return, they should beat pish like us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #649 on: July 02, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
erm......you can't really forget their position in the table. They are 17 points ahead of us and have let in 23 less goals.  For all their iffy form since the return, they should beat pish like us.
Disagree.  You said on form Sheffield looks like a good result.  Given they have looked awful since the restart then on form it looks like a poor result.

If your going purely on table position, then Newcastle looks like a poor result given our circumstances and needing to find wins somewhere.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #650 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
Disagree.  You said on form Sheffield looks like a good result.  Given they have looked awful since the restart then on form it looks like a poor result.

If your going purely on table position, then Newcastle looks like a poor result given our circumstances and needing to find wins somewhere.
Hindsight and chances-created suggest we should have beaten both SheffU and Jawdies - we lack the clinical delivery of goals.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #651 on: July 02, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »

Well i meant form this season really. Sheffield United could pack up today and we still wouldn't get within waving distance. And it would be a brave man who bets that 17 point gap won't be bigger by the end of the season even with their post-Covid form.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #652 on: July 02, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Bournemouth were awful last night. Had the stink of us (Newcastle) when we were relegated. No conviction, desperation wafting off them.

ASM had the run of the Vitality Stadium and while taking him off made total sense, had he stayed on I think we would have scored more than the 4. They'll go down if they play anything like that again.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #653 on: July 02, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
I'm as one-eyed as the next man/woman/non-binary when it comes to Villa, but I am convinced we are screwed.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #654 on: July 02, 2020, 09:59:34 AM »
How are Norwich showing more fight? They've lost all 3, conceding 8 and scoring 0.
Last night against Arsenal I saw Norwich players eagerly picking the ball out of the net and then running to kick off again. Now that's fighting spirit ::)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #655 on: July 02, 2020, 10:01:49 AM »
I'm as one-eyed as the next man/woman/non-binary when it comes to Villa, but I am convinced we are screwed.
It appears that our strategy that teams around us will lose all their remaining matches is a little suspect.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #656 on: July 02, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
Aftab- I’ve spent the last couple of weeks looking out for other teams’ results and checking the table. After West Ham beat Chelsea I told myself  enough’ enough of that. Down to us now to scrape home. Fk everyone else, although Watford look like getting dragged in now...

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #657 on: July 02, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »
Losing to Bournemouth twice, Watford away and dropping points v West Ham is what ultimately is going to relegate us. It’s our own bloody fault. Not been good enough and we’ve crumbled.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #658 on: July 02, 2020, 10:30:45 AM »
I’m.clutching at straws ,but just maybe ,in this darkest of times a win could pop up in our next two games.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #659 on: July 02, 2020, 10:56:01 AM »
Only consolation i can see is since we've returned we've lost to teams who are miles better than us  If anything on form, newcastle and sheffield united look good results. Anything from Liverpool and ManU would be a miracle, so really its down to 4 games where the chances of a win are more than a fluke. Palace and arsenal are must wins.  A draw at everton is possible.  34 points at a nervous/safe west ham for the final game?  Doable.
How does Sheffield look a good result?  Forgetting their position in the table they've been dreadful since the restart and were absolutely there for the taking.  Our failure to capitalise on that opportunity is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Yes, you're right, our season all comes down to only getting a draw at home to Sheffield United, who were in the Top 7 when we played them in the first game anyone had played in 100 days..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal