collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation Watch  (Read 73409 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
Re: Relegation Watch
« Reply #660 on: July 02, 2020, 03:57:50 AM »
Yes, if we can't manage to win, or even look like winning, we don't deserve to stay up. No one seems bothered.
Norwich show more fight than we do
The gamble hasn't worked.
I hope we don't get screwed on the Grealish transfer fee.

How are Norwich showing more fight? They've lost all 3, conceding 8 and scoring 0.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #661 on: July 02, 2020, 04:07:43 AM »
I sense that there's results being attributed to other sides that haven't happened.

Mini league since the restart

Edited, now with shots/on target tacked on

West Ham   P3 W1 D0 L2 F3 A6 27/8
Aston Villa   P4 W0 D2 L2 F2 A4 47/13
Watford      P3 W0 D1 L2 F2 A5 26/9
B'mouth      P3 W0 D0 L3 F1 A7 28/2
Norwich      P3 W0 D0 L3 F0 A8 26/4

I can't square this circle of apparently having no fight or bottle compared to our immediate peers when we've conceded the fewest goals (including the only clean sheet in the 16 games played so far) and had the most efforts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:19:54 AM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline postal

« Reply #662 on: July 02, 2020, 04:47:32 AM »
Yes, if we can't manage to win, or even look like winning, we don't deserve to stay up. No one seems bothered.
Norwich show more fight than we do
The gamble hasn't worked.
I hope we don't get screwed on the Grealish transfer fee.

How are Norwich showing more fight? They've lost all 3, conceding 8 and scoring 0.

There's a difference between showing fight, and ability. Norwich players at least have a go at it, despite of their position and overall ability.

Villa's players have greater ability, but just don't seem up for it.
I hope I am wrong, but I can't see it.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 31.12.2020
« Reply #663 on: July 02, 2020, 05:11:26 AM »
Watford have an easier finish to the season and although i believe we have the better players i think their players fight harder. If they beat Norwich it's going to be very difficult.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #664 on: July 02, 2020, 06:22:40 AM »
Looking at the games that Bournemouth have to play, it looks as though they are gone (and alot of journalists etc. thought that there Manager was going to be shoe-in for the England job)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #665 on: July 02, 2020, 07:44:10 AM »
Watford have an easier finish to the season and although i believe we have the better players i think their players fight harder. If they beat Norwich it's going to be very difficult.
Watford will get 7 points imo. Leaving us needing 8 and snookers. Two win and two draws from 6 games. Not going to happen is it

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #666 on: July 02, 2020, 08:30:52 AM »
Only consolation i can see is since we've returned we've lost to teams who are miles better than us  If anything on form, newcastle and sheffield united look good results. Anything from Liverpool and ManU would be a miracle, so really its down to 4 games where the chances of a win are more than a fluke. Palace and arsenal are must wins.  A draw at everton is possible.  34 points at a nervous/safe west ham for the final game?  Doable.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #667 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
Can't imagine Trez or AEG producing a finish like Yarmolenko managed at the end.

Grealish could do that but of course he would be fouled before he had the chance.  Compare last nights foul stats from similar possession stats.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »
Only consolation i can see is since we've returned we've lost to teams who are miles better than us  If anything on form, newcastle and sheffield united look good results. Anything from Liverpool and ManU would be a miracle, so really its down to 4 games where the chances of a win are more than a fluke. Palace and arsenal are must wins.  A draw at everton is possible.  34 points at a nervous/safe west ham for the final game?  Doable.
How does Sheffield look a good result?  Forgetting their position in the table they've been dreadful since the restart and were absolutely there for the taking.  Our failure to capitalise on that opportunity is probably what will ultimately cost us.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #669 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
Yarmalenko cost more than El Ghazi and Trezeguet put together.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2020, 08:55:14 AM »
erm......you can't really forget their position in the table. They are 17 points ahead of us and have let in 23 less goals.  For all their iffy form since the return, they should beat pish like us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
erm......you can't really forget their position in the table. They are 17 points ahead of us and have let in 23 less goals.  For all their iffy form since the return, they should beat pish like us.
Disagree.  You said on form Sheffield looks like a good result.  Given they have looked awful since the restart then on form it looks like a poor result.

If your going purely on table position, then Newcastle looks like a poor result given our circumstances and needing to find wins somewhere.

Online Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
Disagree.  You said on form Sheffield looks like a good result.  Given they have looked awful since the restart then on form it looks like a poor result.

If your going purely on table position, then Newcastle looks like a poor result given our circumstances and needing to find wins somewhere.
Hindsight and chances-created suggest we should have beaten both SheffU and Jawdies - we lack the clinical delivery of goals.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #673 on: July 02, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »

Well i meant form this season really. Sheffield United could pack up today and we still wouldn't get within waving distance. And it would be a brave man who bets that 17 point gap won't be bigger by the end of the season even with their post-Covid form.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #674 on: July 02, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Bournemouth were awful last night. Had the stink of us (Newcastle) when we were relegated. No conviction, desperation wafting off them.

ASM had the run of the Vitality Stadium and while taking him off made total sense, had he stayed on I think we would have scored more than the 4. They'll go down if they play anything like that again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal