collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Central Defenders Over The Years  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Villa Central Defenders Over The Years
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:23 AM »
Evans & McNaught
Evans & Keown in the second half of our promotion season once Evans was fit again
Mountfield & Keown (who apparently couldn't stand each other)
McGrath, Mountfield, Neilson
McGrath & Teale
McGrath, Southgate & Ugo
Mellberg & Laursen
Dunne & Collins in their first season

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2020, 07:58:26 AM »
Jimmy Dugdale

I was at the Villa v Albion testimonial game for Jimmy Dugdale in the mid eighties. George Best made a cameo appearance in a Villa shirt.

Bradford fire fundraiser, I thought?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 10:41:23 AM »
Jimmy Dugdale

I was at the Villa v Albion testimonial game for Jimmy Dugdale in the mid eighties. George Best made a cameo appearance in a Villa shirt.

Bradford fire fundraiser, I thought?

Yes, I think you are right. On a Friday night I think. Although I am sure I also went to a Villa v Albion Jimmy Dugdale testimonial.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
It is traditional at this point that I mention Con Martin.  The only player to my recollection who not only played for Villa in goal and at centre half absolutely on merit but also for the Republic of Ireland.  This was not putting on the keeper's jersey after an injury but selection as goalkeeper.

I got chatting to an Irish Villa fan called Con whilst on holiday in Tenerife about ten years back. I started telling him all about Con Martin and his stints at centre half and in goal. I needn't have bothered as it turned out he knew Con Martin personally and was well aware of the story.

Slight tangent but Mick Martin, Con's son, used to live down our road when we were kids. He was playing for the Albion at the time. Drove a big white Sweeney-style Granada and he always waved at us as he took evasive action to avoid running us over when we were playing football in the road. A few of us knocked on his door once and asked him to sign his Panini 1978 sticker. He was a really nice fella. I think he signed for Newcastle after West Brom 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 08:06:39 PM »
It is traditional at this point that I mention Con Martin.  The only player to my recollection who not only played for Villa in goal and at centre half absolutely on merit but also for the Republic of Ireland.  This was not putting on the keeper's jersey after an injury but selection as goalkeeper.

I got chatting to an Irish Villa fan called Con whilst on holiday in Tenerife about ten years back. I started telling him all about Con Martin and his stints at centre half and in goal. I needn't have bothered as it turned out he knew Con Martin personally and was well aware of the story.

Slight tangent but Mick Martin, Con's son, used to live down our road when we were kids. He was playing for the Albion at the time. Drove a big white Sweeney-style Granada and he always waved at us as he took evasive action to avoid running us over when we were playing football in the road. A few of us knocked on his door once and asked him to sign his Panini 1978 sticker. He was a really nice fella. I think he signed for Newcastle after West Brom

Panini '78 was the first Panini album I got and the only one I ever completed. I will always remember completing the book with the sticker of Wolves manager Sammy Chung.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 09:08:56 PM »
Mark Delaney never let us down when moving into central defence.
Class act who suffered with injuries because of his commitment. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:16 PM »
Leighton Phillips.
Centre half?

Yup, he started off as a midfielder but dropped back to partner Chris Nicholl in defence. Using his intelligence of reading the game and his natural skills, he was more of a sweeper, teaching Franz Beckenbauer everything he knew.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal