collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread  (Read 39711 times)

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2020, 08:07:53 AM »
brilliant result and I'm so glad that Watford's continual time-wasting cost them in the end.

got home at midnight thanks to the shite of the A14 closures....onwards and upwards

UTV
The Doc

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2020, 08:08:15 AM »
A truly great night at Villa Park. We needed that win desperately and got it in the best possible fashion. But as someone else pointed out, haD it been a draw I’d still be very pleased with the overall performance. There was great desire and determination from everyone of the players which is what we want and haven’t always had So far. This massive result should now give us the impetus to go into every game looking for a positive result. Very pleased with Marvellous, he had a great game. Jack too but he always does.

Everyone has picked up on the ref’s inability to curb the time wasting which he should have sorted but didn’t. One thing Which hasn’t been mentioned is how he allowed their players time and time again to stand in front of the ball when we had a free kick. Is this no longer a bookable offence?

I don’t mind Deeney’s celebration as we’d all be similar in the same circumstances. He’s a handful even if he’s not contributing that much. I’d love his type up front for us.

I don't particularly like Deeney,  but I think I agree and he is a key reason why Watford have had an upturn.

He's the sort of player that loves to be goaded so why do fans do it, as it's usually counterproductive. To be fair, at the end he was giving Dean a hug as well.

The first half was poor again with no real threat, though the second half was much better especially once the subs were made. I couldn't fault the great effort even if the quality is still missing and we are so reliant on Jack to create. Playing 5 at the back and 2 defensive midfielders seemed so negative in the circumstances. At least Targett got forward though Guilbert barely did.

The time wasting was ridiculous and to add only 4 minutes was outrageous, so Watford got their desserts in the end.

Offline KRS

« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »
Haven’t see the match, so can’t comment on it, but fantastic result to come back from 1 down. West Ham have 2 in hand, so we could be back to 17th soon. But the main thing is the 3 points and staying in the fight.
West Ham are away at Leicester tonight as one of their games in hand, and apparently the other is against Liverpool, so they’ll do well to get anything from those games. Leicester have been off the boil losing their last two games so they are due a win.

Offline postal

« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2020, 08:12:38 AM »
Watford do show, if you have someone up front who is a hand full and knows where the back of the net is, it always give you a chance no matter how bang average you are.

This is the problem with Wesley (yes I'm banging on about an injuried player), I dont think I saw when he was playing, if he ever attacked the ball in the 6 yard box like Deeney did, or even head it.
This might have been the shortcomings of the player, the coaching, or the crosses.

Hopefully Samatta knows how to play (head/ get in the box) and we dont have to rely on the defenders (and their backsides) to score in future!  ;D

Oh and it took a while for my blood pressure to drop to a normal level. Thanks! :)
UTV

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
Over 3 hours to get to Villa Park yesterday, normally 1hr 45, all worth it in the end but boy did we huff & puff for long periods.

Watford offer nothing except Deeney, Pearson is an anti footballing twat, I really hope they go down, time wasting after 15 minutes that went unpunished throughout & snidey little fouls throughout.

A few other observations.
Drinkwater, shakey start but grew into it, still off the pace.
Nakamba, much better still too slow.
Hause, some game saving tackles and some brain fart moments.
Mings, lucky to be on the pitch but him and Pepe combined well.
Pepe, that punch to clear off Deeney's head, that's why we brought him in.
Grealish, stay on your feet, went down far too easily in the box c80 mins.

One that maybe I'm reading too much into but Smith & Terry never spoke the entire 90 minutes, Pearson stood alongside his No2 in the technical area most of the game our head coach and his assistant were incommunicado all game it seems.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2020, 08:18:13 AM »
Come on Leicester, Spurs and Manure tonight.

On the Deeney subject we give him some pantomime stick and he gives us some back. I don't think we cross the line with it and I don't think he does either. I like his commitment to be fair and I actually think he could do a job for England which the striking situation at the moment.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »
Jon, Terry isn't Dean's assistant he's just a coach. But the way they celebrated together after the winner tells me there is no problem between them.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:18 AM »

On the Deeney subject we give him some pantomime stick and he gives us some back. I don't think we cross the line with it and I don't think he does either. I like his commitment to be fair and I actually think he could do a job for England which the striking situation at the moment.
Lolz

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:42 AM »
Working in Dublin and watched it with the Leinster Lions at Buskers where the roof went off on the 95th minute. Great spirit second half. It's all about results where we are at the moment, we shouldn't forget that.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2020, 08:25:20 AM »
Jon, Terry isn't Dean's assistant he's just a coach. But the way they celebrated together after the winner tells me there is no problem between them.

Didn’t see that, seems a bit odd that Smith stands out there alone, looks rather forlorn at times, maybe he just needs a hug 🤗

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2020, 08:27:24 AM »

This for me too.  With his allegiences he will always get stick from us and give it back.  I wish we had someone leading our line with his passion and tenacity, in fact I'd be perfectly happy with him in our team.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2020, 08:27:48 AM »

Didn’t see that, seems a bit odd that Smith stands out there alone, looks rather forlorn at times, maybe he just needs a hug 🤗

Saw it on the short highlights Jon. Terry hugging Deano after the winner.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2020, 08:49:10 AM »

This for me too.  With his allegiences he will always get stick from us and give it back.  I wish we had someone leading our line with his passion and tenacity, in fact I'd be perfectly happy with him in our team.
He's got a Blues tattoo on his leg. He will NEVER play for Aston Villa! I have no problem with him dishing it out when he scores against us. That's a given. And a shout out to Luiz too for him taking the piss out of Deeney when he scored the equaliser. Quality!

Offline The Edge

« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
Working in Dublin and watched it with the Leinster Lions at Buskers where the roof went off on the 95th minute. Great spirit second half. It's all about results where we are at the moment, we shouldn't forget that.
Buskers is that in Temple Bar? Was in Dublin on Sunday and wanted to take my blue nose mrs in there.

Offline KRS

« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »
What did Luiz do to take the piss other than jump into the Holte?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal