collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread  (Read 39700 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Watford Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
I reckon that would've been a penalty if Kons had shot over, Mings clearly fouled so all was happening with him in the box!

Have to admit I completely missed the handball in the second, thought he'd fouled a Watford player given they were all protesting. We've seen many yellows for that so very surprised that didn't go to VAR.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »
VAR can't look at second yellows, only straight reds. I don't think anyone can say it was a straight red offence.

I don't think it was deliberate anyway, but even if it was, fuck the time-wasting twats. 😃

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2020, 11:47:34 PM »
Yes Mings very lucky to avoid a straight red for the decapitation tackle, let alone the handball but given their utter shithousery alll through the game I think justice was served well.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2020, 11:49:09 PM »
Also got to say I was right by the Holte in upper witton tonight and really couldn't understand the impatience in the first half. Yes we were slow getting forward but you can't always open up teams by just charging forward all the time. We played it around at times, waited for Watford to press and then got past them.

Just relentlessly going forward would've just created more chances for delefeou as we saw with the chance he missed at the end of first half.

Vocal support in second half was pretty good but the crowd really needs to be more patient v likes of Spurs otherwise the players will start getting nervous and lose their focus and we'll be 2 goals down in blink of an eye like Man. city.

Newcastle are horrible to watch but they frequently get results against the top teams. Sometimes you just have to dig in and make sure it's still 0-0 after an hour.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2020, 11:50:04 PM »
I was at a meeting tonight so I'm watching now. I am sorry I couldn't be on the match thread to wet my pants with you all. Just starting the second half now. Knowing the final score makes it easier to watch. UTV!
Apology accepted.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2020, 11:51:48 PM »
VAR can't look at second yellows, only straight reds. I don't think anyone can say it was a straight red offence.

I don't think it was deliberate anyway, but even if it was, fuck the time-wasting twats. 😃
o
ah right forgot about that rule. Good job Atkinson is a lenient ref. Couldn't believe he took 80 minutes to book a Watford player. Not just the time wasting but they were doing all sorts of cynical pulls and fouls when we were breaking.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »
Also got to say I was right by the Holte in upper witton tonight and really couldn't understand the impatience in the first half. Yes we were slow getting forward but you can't always open up teams by just charging forward all the time. We played it around at times, waited for Watford to press and then got past them.

Just relentlessly going forward would've just created more chances for delefeou as we saw with the chance he missed at the end of first half.

Vocal support in second half was pretty good but the crowd really needs to be more patient v likes of Spurs otherwise the players will start getting nervous and lose their focus and we'll be 2 goals down in blink of an eye like Man. city.

Newcastle are horrible to watch but they frequently get results against the top teams. Sometimes you just have to dig in and make sure it's still 0-0 after an hour.

Agree, I thought we played well from the start in the middle and going forward. Nice passing, lots and accurate, and we got at them when we didn’t have the ball. The goal was poorly defended and changed the game but I don’t have an issue with how at played before it.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »
Well done to the manager.

Luis blows out on the hour, but coming on when the game is stretched he makes a difference. Using his minimal resources well.

And fuck Watford.

Fantastic win. Great to celebrate right next to the away fans.
Team showed real character to come back from Deeney’s opener.
On the match threads I choose not to read them because the abuse of some of the players and manager is over the top but I accept that people have to let off steam and I absolutely wouldn’t criticize fans for what they post.
Just not my thing that’s all.
Anyway a massive win and UTV!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2020, 11:55:16 PM »
Think analysis is better left until tomorrow and tonight is just about savouring the win.  Like others have said in earlier posts, it felt like a massive win and I too found myself hugging complete strangers in the top tier of the North Stand when the winner went in.

Thought the officiating was poor all night.  Started with an awful decision by the linesman on the Trinity Road side in the first few minutes and carried on throughout with Atkinson allowing Foster to continually waste time at every opportunity.  I couldn't see how they only got 4 minutes of added time given all the tine Watford wasted and there were 4 substitutions.

As for Watford, it was a shithouse performance reminiscent of Tony Pulis and his ilk.  Wasting time right from the off, niggly fouls, their players going down as soon as touched.  Hope they perform line that fit the rest of the season. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »
Pearson and Deeney got what they deserved fuck all.

If they'd spent less time pissing about on free kicks, throw ins and substitutions,the game would have been over well before Konsa put the ball in the onion bag for the winner.

spot on

i took my young daughter tonight shes only been to a few games and she was asking why we were booing,
 i told her it was because Watford were wasting time

and this was BEFORE they scored
i was quite surprised to see a Pearson side do that as i didn't think he was quite as bad as Pulis, Allardyce etc but obviously not
that's why i never advocate those sort of managers for Villa no matter how bad it gets although i've seen a new side to Pearson tonight i never knew he had

on Deeney,
 my unpopular opinion is i don't mind him giving it back
 he hates us we hate him, he's a bluenose and that's the way it is

we got the last laugh tonight and it was a beautiful thing

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2020, 11:58:10 PM »
What a night. Two hours to get 50 miles home.

That was special. An entire game of Watford time wasting,anti football at its finest. That was justice, absolute justice.

We looked a different team when Luiz came on. Ah ma, I'm still buzzing!

I wonder if we'd have been given the pen if we hadn't scored? Atkinson was so appalling tonight, probably not.

Anyway, Deeney what's the score.....

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2020, 11:59:28 PM »
Yep, they really are a horrible little club. When you think of the likes of Leeds, Forest, Wednesday, etc in the 2nd tier, and that tinpot shower of shit we saw tonight are in the Prem.

I'll be glad when they get relegated and they and Deeney can piss off back from whence they came.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2020, 12:00:02 AM »
Ostrich boy speaks https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51201373

To be fair he seemed very calm, balanced and philosophical. Not at all what I was expecting. Did someone slip something in his tea to calm him down?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2020, 12:00:29 AM »
Same here, got a grudging respect for Deeney, he gives his all, even if he does look like he had a particularly good Christmas. Fuck all in the way of talent but he’s a pain in the arse and causes problems to defenders through will to win.

Delicious irony that they didn’t even have time to kick off after the goal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal