collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 21283 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »
Just seen the Brighton goal from the view of the Villa fans behind the goal.  I think the keeper might have done better.

I was by the corner flag so didn't get the best view of the trajectory but I thought the same at the time.

Grealish got us out of jaiil, as although we did improve in the last 20 mins, I couldn't see anyone scoring. Luiz contributed much more than Drinkwater when he came on, although the impact was all relative.

We deserved a draw in the end , but only on the basis that Brighton were no better than us and both teams weree generally poor.

I still doubt we have enough quality in the management and the players to stay up.

I thought Reina should've done better when I first saw it, but then I guess we often hear pundits saying keepers should never concede at their near post - and there was no chance of that - so I guess it goes down as a nice finish.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2020, 10:34:50 PM »
There was a real flare up after a tactical foul by Hourihane in the final minute. I don't usually condone this sort of behaviour , tactical fouls,  I'm a football skills artist but it was needed and something necessary at the end to stop the break away.
Have to say well done after seeing players fly by at times this season Hourihane did stop play.

Fuck off with ‘tactical foul’
Another Skyism that is a load of fucking bollocks.

Cynical or at best professional foul is what it was always called, and should be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:37:44 PM by andyh »

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2020, 10:40:05 PM »
I’m not sure it’s worth getting that upset about.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »
Would’ve taken a point beforehand especially under the circumstances (ie no strikers). I’m a major critic of Smith but he got a performance 2nd half so credit for that.

Apart for those spawney Barcodes (again) it’s pretty much as you were. Next 3 games v winnable if we can get a striker in. Can you believe we’re typing that!

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2020, 11:13:54 PM »
Pleased with the point in the end. We now need to beat watford and bournemouth and we definitely need to be starting a newly signed striker on Tuesday. Luiz proved he's a good impact sub. Nice finish by Jack!
The Maupay, Konsa incident was interesting bearing in mind they were ex team mates. With Smith knowing Maupay well I wonder if he was deliberately avoided last summer because he's a disruptive influence in the changing room. Certainly with his history where McGinn was concerned a couple of years ago, he's a nasty
f-cker and maybe it was thought he wouldn't go down too well in the Villa changing room. It looked to me that their player who dragged him away has done that a few times perhaps within the Brighton changing room!

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2020, 12:32:12 AM »
I watched the game at 9pm on the telly in the end (thanks to those who suggested appropriate 'sports news' websites earlier in the day ;-)

Most of the game we couldn't keep the ball for more than 10 seconds. How much do these fuckers get paid again? Their goal was a typical Villa lose possession and the others breeze through us creating mild panic then pop the ball in the back of the net while half our defence are waddling around with four-foot shoes, water-squirting flowers and silly hats on.

In the second half I saw the team putting some effort in, and this of course paid off thanks to Jack's talent and willpower. I thought Drinkwater had a better game (I know, not very difficult after the last one). I was shitting myself right until the final whistle but it was a relief to get a point; I think we can be happy with that.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2020, 01:08:09 AM »
I don't think Reina could've done much, he was doing the right thing and forcing the shot across him, the guy put it into pretty much the only spot he could've to score, just a good finish for me. I also don't think there was much wrong with the defending, a lucky bounce of Hause meant he was out of the game and stopped us being able to close him down without leaving gaps and then he timed the pass (intentionally or by luck) so Guilbert couldn't quite cut it out. Was just a good goal on the counter attack for me.

If you criticise Reina then you have to do the same for their keeper for our goal which beat him at the near post. Personally I think that's silly because again it was just a well placed shot that the keeper had no chance of getting to, if either of them are saved you'd have had repeats of it for years as a bit of top class keeping.

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2020, 08:02:20 AM »
An absolute must not lose on Tuesday, and considering we've played a disproportionate amount of games against the teams we generally pick up points from, it's a must win. I thought 7 was needed from these 3. I fear this is going to be the most difficult of the three though.

Online wince

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2020, 08:49:59 AM »
That save at the end though was class!

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
Was pleased with Reina, who brings a lot more presence to the six yard area, even though it feels a little harsh to drop Nyland.

Drinkwater had a better game (probably not too difficult considering), but thought his passing was still poor.

Hause seems well off the pace at times, and keeps playing himself into difficulty.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
That save at the end though was class!

I was right in front of it. Fantastic reactions.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
I mean it was a decent stop but I would expect most keepers to save it. I was expecting high-end reflexes the way people were describing it.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2020, 09:58:54 AM »
Much improved 2nd half. It's amazing what more work rate and determination can bring to a team. We were more aggressive and positive in and out of possession. Gives me a little hope that we can stay up.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »
I thought Brighton were very poor yesterday.

If (and it's obviously a big if) we can get our noses ahead of Brighton and Burnley over the course of the next 2 games, I don't think we'll look back.  Desperately need a couple of good signings to pick the place up and give us momentum.

Tuesday is massive for me - Whenever we are out of the bottom 3, the pressure seems to go from our players and we look an entirely different side.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »
Real Jekyl and Hyde performance yesterday I thought, vastly improved in the second half and after Jack's goal I felt there'd only be one winner. As has been said, first half appalling. We looked better for having Douglas on the pitch, I like that he always wants the ball, contrast with Nakamba who seems to be hiding at the moment.

Vassilev made a big difference, just having a proper outlet upfront instantly made us look sharper, if we can't get Samatta in for Tuesday I'd be tempted to give him the nod.

This year the relegation battle will go to the wire, with Norwich winning yesterday as well, all three places are still pretty open. I can see our final game against West Ham being a potential decider. This makes every point so valuable, would take a draw against Watford.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal