collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 21524 times)

Online VillaBoy_23

Re: Brighton - Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
Absolutely awful until we played an actual striker up front at which point the game became more stretched and we were more of an attacking influence.

Targett and particularly Drinkwater were appalling in the first half. Luiz looked lively when he came on and what can you say about Jack? The definition of a talisman and I dread to think where we’d be without him. Must must must win on Tuesday. UTV

Vassilev is not a striker. He usually plays in midfield for the U23s.

Well he certainly did a better impression than AEG (who looked miles better out wide)!

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »
Just got home having got a spare ticket in the home end off a Brighton season ticket holder. Dead and buried at half time but two things seemed to change in the second half and both at the same time - Brighton took Connelly off and we brought Luiz and Vassilev on. This took the momentum away from Brighton as they went more defensive and invited us on - when we scored i honestly thought we would go on and win. Fantastic save by Reina late on, was right in front of me and it was superb, would have probably beaten Nyland.
Positives - Reina, Grealish, the back three were pretty good too.
Negatives - nothing really going through the middle for Villa, everything was going out to the wings, we looked a side without a centre forward but our tactics did seem to help us in the second half, particularly when Albion took one of their strikers off.

As for sitting in the home end? You can imagine. The usual dirty northern bastard shouts at first but they seemed more obsessed with singing about Palace. This gave way to pure frustration and anger as they realised they were chucking away three points against a team they thought they were going to - and needed - to beat. The one constant was the belief that all our players were diving. I think it was El Ghazi or Trezeguet who needed attention early in the first half, the woman and her husband behind claimed it was typical Aston Villa behaviour and that the referee should be handed out oscars. Heaven forbid any of our players being knocked to the ground - and Grealish in particular was getting a lot of verbals. They got frustrated when Connolly went off as they thought Potter was going too defensive against a side there for the taking and this manifested itself in Nakamba getting some real real venomous abuse as he was trudging a long in front of us trying to figure out if he was being substituted which did seem to take a while.
The handbags after the match was funny too as you'd have thought our players had murdered relatives of the Brighton support they way they started giving it large.
Anyway an enjoyable day in the end in which i can live down here knowing once again Brighton havent beaten managed to beat us. As for our survival hopes it counts for nothing if we dont win the next two.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2020, 06:30:10 PM »
I suppose one way to look at it is it’s 7 points from the last four games including one against Citeh.

Edit from five games.  Okay it’s not great.

21 points from the last 15 would keep us up pretty comfortably so it's a ratio to aim for.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2020, 06:32:36 PM »
The Hourihane foul was excellent, proper tactical foul, stopped them getting into a dangerous position, just take the yellow and regroup. We dont do this nearly enough. Dunk did the exact same thing first half to stop El Ghazi breaking.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2020, 06:33:52 PM »
There was a real flare up after a tactical foul by Hourihane in the final minute. I don't usually condone this sort of behaviour , tactical fouls,  I'm a football skills artist but it was needed and something necessary at the end to stop the break away.
Have to say well done after seeing players fly by at times this season Hourihane did stop play.

Post of the decade!
Hahaha - so true

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »
I suppose one way to look at it is it’s 7 points from the last four games including one against Citeh.

21 points from the last 15 would keep us up pretty comfortably so it's a ratio to aim for.
That's going to take a significant improvement from the less than 1 point per game were currently averaging.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2020, 06:34:22 PM »
How Brighton can moan when Mooy throws himself to the deck continually I have no idea. Maupy is the type of white shirt ****** on Broad Street, screaming hold me back, while kicking off with bouncers. WKD wanker.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
Maupay is a niggly little  shit shouldn't have been on the pitch at the end.

Nowt new there he’s always been a twat.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2020, 06:46:08 PM »
How Brighton can moan when Mooy throws himself to the deck continually I have no idea. Maupy is the type of white shirt c*** on Broad Street, screaming hold me back, while kicking off with bouncers. WKD wanker.

It was literally five mins in, one of our players was down getting treatment and the two behind me - and they were an older couple - were saying it was typical Aston Villa.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2020, 06:51:31 PM »

That's going to take a significant improvement from the less than 1 point per game were currently averaging.
But we have taken 4 from last 3 so it’s coming.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
Maupay has been crap in both games against us this season, I dunno what the fuck he was doing today, he was on a personal mission to get into a petty argument with every player on the pitch.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2020, 06:54:43 PM »
But we have taken 4 from last 3 so it’s coming.
Fair point.  We absolutely must keep it going.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2020, 06:56:31 PM »
Any blame attached to Reina for the goal? My stream wasnt great but I didnt think he shouldve been beaten from that angle.

Superb save 2nd half to keep us in it though.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2020, 06:59:01 PM »
Any blame attached to Reina for the goal? My stream wasnt great but I didnt think he shouldve been beaten from that angle.

Superb save 2nd half to keep us in it though.

In fairness it was a cracking goal. Not much he could do.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
Maupay has been crap in both games against us this season, I dunno what the fuck he was doing today, he was on a personal mission to get into a petty argument with every player on the pitch.

Aside from being a dirty little so-and-so, he's not been that great in general. He has 7 goals. Wesley has been widely derided as a bad signing and has 6. I must be missing something as to why Maupay is so well thought of as a Premier League goalscorer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal