collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mbwana Samatta. Sold. Puns still banned.  (Read 121681 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Mbwana Samatta. Puns banned.
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2020, 12:54:55 AM »
I knew I'd get responses almost exactly like that but you've ignored the fact that I said it was important anyway (and therefore implied that Wesley getting injured had no impact at all on our signings, which is clearly wrong) and you need to look at it from Smith's perspective. He was quite openly happy with the performances he was getting from Wesley but had pretty obviously lost any faith in Kodjia. He therefore, on December 31st, thought he had a solid first choice and was looking to add 'plan b' by allowing Kodjia to move on and getting in someone to replace him. Hence it was important.

Losing Wes for the season as we did then changed things because we suddenly needed a 'plan a' striker as well. That made it desperate but also meant we were starting a new search for a target man/focal point striker when we'd been planning around signing someone quite different.

Samatta is, I believe, the option we've gone with for the 'plan b' role, you can see he plays on the shoulder and looks to run in behind rather than hold up the ball and let people move around him (which is the role we were using Wes in, irrespective of if people think he was doing well enough or not). This means we're still looking for the hold-up player to replace Wes, with Slimani being a pretty obvious nod in that direction (and Murray too). I also believe that Smith sees Davis as offering the same type of play and was happy with him as a backup to Wes so losing him for such a long period was a big blow as well.

Again, this isn't about whether 'we' believe Wes is good enough (I do, most on here clearly don't) but rather about the priorities Smith had going in to this window and how the Burnley game affected them, for me it threw their plans completely off and they were suddenly looking for 2 signings that were never even considered in meetings building up to the window.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:06:48 AM by paul_e »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »
You are right, the difference of opinion is the belief in the suitability of Wes to be plan A.
Smith obviously did which in my and many others opinion was wrong.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
The Mail saying this should be done today. I'm not sure if this means his work permit too?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
Noel Whelan (yes, Noel fucking Whelan) has been having his ‘invaluable’ say about all things Villa and the Samatta signing.  Of course he was less than positive.

Samatta’s fans are not too impressed and someone from Tanzania has tweeted this response.
Read it, its absolutely brilliant.

https://twitter.com/dailytanzania/status/1218804624737652736?s=21

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
Noel Whelan (yes, Noel fucking Whelan) has been having his ‘invaluable’ say about all things Villa and the Samatta signing.  Of course he was less than positive.

Samatta’s fans are not too impressed and someone from Tanzania has tweeted this response.
Read it, its absolutely brilliant.

https://twitter.com/dailytanzania/status/1218804624737652736?s=21

Ha ha, fantastic! "We will bite you every corner of you stupid body."

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2020, 09:49:14 AM »
Amy?  Who is Amy?  She sounds dangerous and if I was Noel Whelan, I would be sweating!!

Not in a sexual way either!!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2020, 09:54:54 AM »
Noel Whelan...should be playing bass in a shit Leeds-based Oasis tribute band.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2020, 10:06:08 AM »
The way I saw it, we went into the season with 1 new £20m + striker, a promising youngster and a player who had previously done well for us but was unlikely to step up to this level fighting for 1 place as the central striker. We had 3 players also battling for 2 positions out wide in Jota, El Ghazi and Trez and I personally have a hunch that they tried to sign one or two more for those positions but couldn't get them over the line. I had no problem with this scenario. The issues have arisen since in that all of them have been underwhelming/injured which in truth I'm not sure most of us would have bet on beforehand. People keep moaning about Wes and the lack of other options but if any of the wide players had shown any consistent quality I don't think it would have been such an issue. What you would have hoped is that player or players would have been lined up to come in straight away in Jan, a new wide player and a new central striker with PL experience. We don't know how much time and effort has gone into this from all concerned, none of us really know what goes into this and the difficulties that they may have had. As it looks, we're signing a player who looks decent but again has no PL experience, I reckon he was already on a shortlist and he's the only one they've been able to secure so far, simple as that. In order to survive, I would suggest that we sign a quality wide player with PL experience and loan a temporary cover player for Wes, (i.e Benteke if he's available as you'd imagine), and I also think that we need a proper defensive midfield player with PL experience (not Drinkwater and I'm still baffled by that one), because as I've said all along, none of the midfielders we have are that type of player except Nakamba and he's dipped alarmingly to the point of not being the player to help to get us out of this shit.
I hope that they can bring these players in, I would be extremely concerned if not.

Offline Ads

« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »
Looking likely to be done in time for Tuesday it seems.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »

The signing and work permit?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
ITSOTP, hopefully.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »

Offline Ads

« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »

The signing and work permit?

Yes, appears that way.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #178 on: January 19, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
Good stuff, this will be a huge boost hopefully.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #179 on: January 19, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »
In The Shirt On The Pitch (ITSOTP).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal