collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

Re: FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pepe Reina: Signs for Lazio  (Read 43881 times)

Online sid1964

Re: Pepe Reina
« Reply #330 on: August 03, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
no point - how many goal keepers do we need?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #331 on: August 03, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »
Goalkeepers at Bodymoor Heath will soon have their own entrance, car park, gym, canteen.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #332 on: August 03, 2020, 12:48:47 PM »
Three. But I don't mind us having four until Heaton is back. Get rid of Kalinic now, shift Nyland in January if Heaton has proven his fitness.

That's assuming the winter transfer window is in January.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #333 on: August 03, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
I rate both Steer and Heaton. Nyland is okay as a back up for those two. Kalinic is clearly down the pecking order and will probably go. He has played seven games for us in two years. It was feast or famine with Reina last season. In the limited time he played for us I saw him pull off a couple of worldies and drop a couple of clangers.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #334 on: August 03, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
If Steer could stay fully fit, and if Heaton has made good progress with his injury then I would be happy enough with those two plus Nyland.  Those are a couple of very big ifs though.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #335 on: August 03, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
If Steer could stay fully fit, and if Heaton has made good progress with his injury then I would be happy enough with those two plus Nyland.  Those are a couple of very big ifs though.

Yep, that's why I'd be happy to Reina back for another year. As above, I'd try to get Steer out on loan for a year so he can prove he can physically cope with being a regular.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2020, 02:10:03 PM »
All of our keepers have looked better when we don’t concede 20 shots on goal a game.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
When will Heaton be back?

At the end of May he said he was targeting the start of the new season and I've seen no reports of problems since.

If he is training fully when they return and barring any injury breakdown, I would have thought he will be available in September. Some on here are suggesting October or November but not sure why?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »
Starts training two weeks time.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #339 on: August 03, 2020, 02:28:20 PM »
Heaton is not going to be fit for the start of the season and who knows if Steer will be. Nyland and Kalinic are both not good enough to be anything other than a 'break glass in emergency' keeper.

Reina was a big part of our improved defence post lockdown, and clearly from the clips going around is a big personality in the dressing room. For 1-2 years its a good move.

« Reply #340 on: August 03, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
Starts training two weeks time.

Thanks. I've not seen anything that suggests he will not be involved in full training - so presumably he is available for selection in friendlies and the PL when it starts.

So with the transfer window open until mid Oct, I would assume Heaton first choice, then Nyland and Steer as back-up.

Even if Reina is happy to sit on our bench rather than the one in Milan I can't see why we would want to spend the money on his wages. If Heaton breaks down in the first few weeks, then there is time to sort something out (like get Reina back in) but no reason to offer him one or two years at this point ... even if he did enjoy a dance and a song after we stayed up.

« Reply #341 on: August 03, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »
Heaton is not going to be fit for the start of the season and who knows if Steer will be. Nyland and Kalinic are both not good enough to be anything other than a 'break glass in emergency' keeper.

Reina was a big part of our improved defence post lockdown, and clearly from the clips going around is a big personality in the dressing room. For 1-2 years its a good move.

How are you sure? He said in May he would be back for the start of the season and I've not seen a report of a problem since.

He might be rusty for a few weeks and there is a risk of injury, but there will always be that.

When we restarted, I think stopping shots on target was the greatest contribution to not conceding and that was Douglas Luiz and better concentration from the defenders IMO.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #342 on: August 03, 2020, 02:58:37 PM »
We have a very good goalkeeping coach in Neil Cutler who was quite prominent on the bench post-lockdown. I'm sure he will be inputting into the discussion. To be fair I thought Reina helped get us over the line the last few games, all depends on how far Heaton is from fitness I think. I doubt they want to spend big on another keeper.

Offline frank black

« Reply #343 on: August 03, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
Rumour we’ve offered him 2 years.....I would’ve been ok with another year, but 2?? seems we never learn.

Could be one year with an option for a second?
Either way 2 years is fine. He's a GK.

He’s lost his agility , in respect to changing direction. But is using his footballing brain well to make up to a degree. Can’t see him at Villa beyond this season, so why give him 2 years?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
He went from on the bench with Milan to straight in the firing line with us, let's not forget.

There are signs the reflexes are going, as was the case with Friedel in is last year with us.  But how much of that is down to conditioning or just Father Time is hard to say.  A good summer's pre season (accepting it's not the same as a usual one) and he might be fine for another year or two at a high level. With us or someone else.

Nyland inspires terror in most Villa fans I've met, so you can imagine the defenders playing in front of him are never truly sure what they're going to get.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal