collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pepe Reina: Signs for Lazio  (Read 44081 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Pepe Reina
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
Well either way, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he won’t try.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #271 on: May 28, 2020, 12:32:49 AM »
Well either way, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he won’t try.
I just prefer Nyland’s version of trying to his. He’s come back mentally and physically stronger and he has a career in front of him not behind him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #272 on: May 28, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
In his first few games Reina did bring a calmness to the defence and his distribution brought another dimension to our game.  I initially thought he was a wasted signing but the Watford game convinced me it was shrewd business.  But as others have said, he then went downhill pretty quickly.

For me Nyland has been excellent most times he played this season - he kept a fantastic attitude despite expensive keepers being bought to play ahead of him.  I really like him and would be happy for us to see out the season with him as our No 1.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
Games he played:

Brighton-Arguably could've done better for the goal but made really good late save to get us the point.

Watford- Pretty good. Made a key double save at 1-0 down.

Bournemouth- At fault for one of the goals. We were terrible for an hour anyway.

Spurs- MOTM.

Southampton- one reckless charge outside his box that got a yellow. Out of position for second but we needed a goal so had no issue with him going up for the corner.

Leicester- O.k not arguing this one!

It's pretty rare you get the first two keepers injured at same time (last time it happened we got in Gabor Kiraly of course) so had no issue with the club getting him in unlike Drinkwater given his pedigree.

Extra mention for the (indirect) assist against Watford. Might seem obvious but it takes a confident, experienced keeper to wave everyone up into the opponent's box for a last minute effort. Not sure Nyland for example, would have done the same.

Offline mamuu

• GM : 27.02.2022
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2020, 12:06:39 PM »
Vox featured heavily in Ed Balls' mini series about the rise of populism across Europe. They're typical right wing everymen, trying to be all things to anyone with a grievance - whether it's campaigning for bull fighting or a perceived threat to Flamenco dancing. It's the same old story - it's the "others" fault. Them over there, trying to come over here and take your heritage away. The usual crap.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #275 on: May 28, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
Vox featured heavily in Ed Balls' mini series about the rise of populism across Europe. They're typical right wing everymen, trying to be all things to anyone with a grievance - whether it's campaigning for bull fighting or a perceived threat to Flamenco dancing. It's the same old story - it's the "others" fault. Them over there, trying to come over here and take your heritage away. The usual crap.

Xenophobic opportunistic ******, in other words

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #276 on: May 28, 2020, 02:07:36 PM »
Games he played:

Brighton-Arguably could've done better for the goal but made really good late save to get us the point.

Bournemouth- At fault for one of the goals. We were terrible for an hour anyway.

Spurs- MOTM.

Southampton- one reckless charge outside his box that got a yellow. Out of position for second but we needed a goal so had no issue with him going up for the corner.

It's pretty rare you get the first two keepers injured at same time (last time it happened we got in Gabor Kiraly of course) so had no issue with the club getting him in unlike Drinkwater given his pedigree.

so to sum up 2 good games  and 4 dodgy ones ... as for sending him up when we needed  goal at Soton his record is 623 league apps  0 goals

Premier league alone its  291 apps 0 goals and 4 assists  1 own goal.... clutching at straws at bit

Every team would send up a keeper in that situation and pretty much all of them have never scored a goal either so not sure what your point is.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #277 on: May 28, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
It's more the confusion they cause can create space and potentially a goal.

Offline geolex

« Reply #278 on: May 29, 2020, 04:09:05 AM »
Games he played:

Spurs- MOTM.

so to sum up 2 good games  and 4 dodgy ones ... as for sending him up when we needed  goal at Soton his record is 623 league apps  0 goals

Premier league alone its  291 apps 0 goals and 4 assists  1 own goal.... clutching at straws at bit

Every team would send up a keeper in that situation and pretty much all of them have never scored a goal either so not sure what your point is.

The point is  as far as Reina is concerned  it never works so it was /is  futile.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #279 on: May 29, 2020, 04:25:27 AM »
The point is irrelevant as it virtually never works for any goalkeeper. Still worth a try when you are going to lose anyway. Seems an utterly bizarre thing to criticise for.

Offline geolex

« Reply #280 on: May 29, 2020, 04:36:25 AM »
The point is irrelevant as it virtually never works for any goalkeeper. Still worth a try when you are going to lose anyway. Seems an utterly bizarre thing to criticise for.

How can it be worth a try if as you say it virtually never works?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2020, 05:01:24 AM »
Because you are going to lose anyway so why not? If it doesn't work, you've lost nothing. If it does, Jimmy Glass-style hurrah. Just seems a very odd thing to criticise. Of all the things to have a go at a goalkeeper for, I don't think I've ever heard anyone moaning about their lack of goalscoring prowess before. That's a new one on me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
He would've needed the o.k from the manager aswell, plenty of times a keeper wants to go up for corner in injury time but is told not to (presuambly to protect the GD although 4-0 defeat to Leicester rendered that a bit meaningless).

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2020, 07:10:57 PM »

How can it be worth a try if as you say it virtually never works?

Because it ocassionally does, would be my guess.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2020, 07:25:25 PM »
And it is occasionally, as far as I know only 2 keepers in the PL era have scored when going up for a corner/free kick, and both have a Villa connection.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal