collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 42118 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #780 on: February 18, 2020, 04:38:08 PM »
I don't see how anyone looked at our midfield before January, and 1. failed to notice how one paced it is, 2. thought adding a really, really slow midfielder to it was a good idea.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #781 on: February 18, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
...and not only slow, but miles away from being the required fitness as well.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #782 on: February 18, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
....and one with a track record of not being very good in the self discipline department.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #783 on: February 18, 2020, 06:59:49 PM »
Pre-judged, condemned and already written off by some based on his time at Burnley/Chelsea it seems to me.  I prefer to give the bloke at least a chance.  He hasn't been great but I don't think he's been as bad as some would have us believe, and it's not as if our other midfielders haven't been awful at times either.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #784 on: February 18, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »
Heís had a chance and heís been slow, unfit and shit in every game.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #785 on: February 18, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
Heís better than Lansbury and Hourihane. Thatís why heís playing.

I think Nakamba and Luiz are struggling to do 90 minutes so thatís why heís starting for me.

Apart from when he gave the ball away I thought he was decent on Sunday.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »

Well that's clearly your view Martin, and we're all entitled to one,   but as I said I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as you and some others are making out.  Yes he's not up to speed but he was involved in some of our better moves in the first 30 minutes on Sunday before we collectively forgot how to defend again. Some people refuse to see or acknowledge that.  I still say there seems to be an element of scapegoating and pre-judgement in the criticism of him.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »
Deleted.  Quote gone wrong.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:32:34 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:13 PM »
I've got no idea how good he used to be as I only really watch Villa these days, so I'm judging him on what I see of him now rather than comparing him to his previous standard.  It's obvious that he is not fit enough to play, but is being played.  He is half a yard off the pace of it and everything appears last gasp, whether he's tackling, tracking a runner or running with the ball.  Maybe his legs have gone.  Either way, he is not adding anything good to the team at the moment.  I think it's harsh on Hourihane not to be getting on the pitch, but he appears to be a sacrifice to playing 5 at the back.

Offline themossman

• GM : 22.02.2021
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »
Interesting analysis doing the rounds on his stats vs spurs. Good passing stats and terrible tackling and interception stats. Which would explain why I thought he did ok and others think very differently.

The closest thing we have to an effective cdm is marvelous and he really isnít one. Our biggest failure this season is the lack of a proper, big ugly bastard in the middle and SJM coming back wonít change that.

Offline sonyhill

« Reply #790 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »
I honestly don't know how he is starting games to be honest.  Miles off the pace and pretty dire distribution.  He looks like he scuffs everything he kicks. 

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #791 on: February 19, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »
Interesting analysis doing the rounds on his stats vs spurs. Good passing stats and terrible tackling and interception stats. Which would explain why I thought he did ok and others think very differently.

The closest thing we have to an effective cdm is marvelous and he really isnít one. Our biggest failure this season is the lack of a proper, big ugly bastard in the middle and SJM coming back wonít change that.

CDM is Surely exactly what Nakamba is

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #792 on: February 19, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Heís better than Lansbury and Hourihane. Thatís why heís playing.

I think Nakamba and Luiz are struggling to do 90 minutes so thatís why heís starting for me.

Apart from when he gave the ball away I thought he was decent on Sunday.

Lansbury fair enough but not sure how he's been better than Hourahane? He's like an unfit version and without the set piece and long shot threat.

And what about Nakamba who sat on the bench whilst Drunkwanker started on Sunday? He's in the team because those picking it think he's going to recapture his old form eventually but i think anyone can see at the moment that he's miles off it and contributing to us losing games. Would be ok if we were mid table and bringing him on for 30 mins at the end of each game.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:23:47 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #793 on: February 19, 2020, 01:25:07 PM »

Well that's clearly your view Martin, and we're all entitled to one,   but as I said I don't think he's been anywhere near as bad as you and some others are making out.  Yes he's not up to speed but he was involved in some of our better moves in the first 30 minutes on Sunday before we collectively forgot how to defend again. Some people refuse to see or acknowledge that.  I still say there seems to be an element of scapegoating and pre-judgement in the criticism of him.
I agree.  Good in spells and poor at times, but not as bad as people are making out.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2021
« Reply #794 on: February 19, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »

I agree.  Good in spells and poor at times, but not as bad as people are making out.

Agree, not as bad as some people make out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal