collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 37843 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #765 on: February 17, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »
The stats are right and seem shit, well the dribbled past one is shit, but they do need context. He averages 1.3 tackles per game which is 6th in the squad, Hourihane averages 0.6 pg and is one of the lowest of any midfielder in the division. Interceptions Drinkwater also averages 1.3 pg, 5th in the squad. Hourihane averages 0.3 pg.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #766 on: February 17, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »
He's not called Connor Hologram for no reason.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #767 on: February 17, 2020, 05:33:48 PM »
Danny Drinkwater has made 5 tackles in 4 games and been dribbled past 16 times.

I think that stat is milsleading.  He nicked the ball a good few times yesterday alone.

A good few times? I'm not so sure. I recall two occasions yesterday where he stole the ball, and he gave it away more than twice. I could be wrong

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #768 on: February 17, 2020, 05:49:05 PM »
Im in favour of loan players but I would prefer them to be an upgrade on the players we already have if they are to be first team starters which DD is not

He is a back up midfielder for me and no more
all this waiting for him to get match and then he becomes some powerhouse in the centre of the park is nonsense its not going to happen
I just hope because he signed him Smith isnt stubborn enough to keep playing him out of some sense of trying to prove his bad decision right

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #769 on: February 17, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
He's not called Connor Hologram for no reason.
Looool never heard that name before

To be fair to cinir though he can make a dofference alone on set pieces and does have a great finish on him

Online brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #770 on: February 17, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
The only real alternatives are Nakamba and Luiz, both of which I think have got better recently.

Stay up and I think a priority will be a brute of a defensive midfielder, as I anticipate the plan will be to get back to 433.

Neither Luiz nor Nakamba were/are ready to be regular starters in a two man midfield at this level. Luiz in particular has the technical ability but not the physical presence nor application let's be honest. Gets caught ahead of the ball constantly leaving us wide open in midfield. Not sure about Nakamba, limited enough player from what I've seen and not mobile enough to cover for Luiz. Predictably Hourihane struggled in that role. Drinkwater the worst of the lot, well maybe on a par with Lansbury.

It's the biggest failing in the team, it's just so easy to get shots on our goal.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #771 on: February 17, 2020, 10:43:01 PM »
Smith seems determined to pick him week after week regardless so let's hope he improves. Strange one yesterday as he looked decent at times while also looking so slow it was painful to watch and giving the ball away in horrendous positions.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #772 on: February 17, 2020, 11:24:35 PM »
The stats are right and seem shit, well the dribbled past one is shit, but they do need context. He averages 1.3 tackles per game which is 6th in the squad, Hourihane averages 0.6 pg and is one of the lowest of any midfielder in the division. Interceptions Drinkwater also averages 1.3 pg, 5th in the squad. Hourihane averages 0.3 pg.
OK but to view this in proper context have you got any data on Stewart Downing whilst he was ripping up oak trees down here?

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #773 on: February 17, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
And by the way I thought DD was ok yesterday.

Offline achilles

« Reply #774 on: February 18, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »

... if you like tortoises!

At least Villa will get him fit for the end of the season, ready for next season, whichever team he is playing for!

Offline jwarry

« Reply #775 on: February 18, 2020, 01:41:33 PM »

Despite his lack of confidence and touch, and continually giving the ball away, we seemed to function better as a team when he was on the park. Although Marv did ok and ran around a lot, Spurs seemed to get a grip once DD went off. Maybe Dean sees more than just how hes playing

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #776 on: February 18, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
He was quite shit but that is an improvement on the very shit or the extremely shit weve seen previously.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #777 on: February 18, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »

Despite his lack of confidence and touch, and continually giving the ball away, we seemed to function better as a team when he was on the park. Although Marv did ok and ran around a lot, Spurs seemed to get a grip once DD went off. Maybe Dean sees more than just how hes playing

What, like the goals we concede when he's on the pitch?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 26.01.2021
« Reply #778 on: February 18, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
I fear that there is almost hatred towards him from some on here and in the ground. I can see definite improvement in every game he is playing.

I for one am grateful that he is seemingly giving his all for the cause even when he is clearly not fully fit

Offline richtheholtender

« Reply #779 on: February 18, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
I fear that there is almost hatred towards him from some on here and in the ground. I can see definite improvement in every game he is playing.

I for one am grateful that he is seemingly giving his all for the cause even when he is clearly not fully fit

Agree completely. He seems to be being made a bit of a scapegoat at times.