collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 38197 times)

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #705 on: February 16, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »
Classic case of what booze does to your body.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #706 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »

The foolish and idiotic decision of including him by smith makes me and ithers question whther Smith is cut out for this level.

We cant sack him now it tok late. We just gotta hope smith can turn this mess around

Give it a rest.

Dont you own this site? Your not setting a very good example for yourself with pathetic responses like this for peoples opinions you dont agree with.

Poor manners for yourself

I've managed to avoid setting a good example for thirty years and I don't intend to start now.

Brilliant  8) must be the best reply thus far, 2020.

Really, do you? I donít but hey there you go

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #707 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »

The foolish and idiotic decision of including him by smith makes me and ithers question whther Smith is cut out for this level.

We cant sack him now it tok late. We just gotta hope smith can turn this mess around

Give it a rest.

Dont you own this site? Your not setting a very good example for yourself with pathetic responses like this for peoples opinions you dont agree with.

Poor manners for yourself

I've managed to avoid setting a good example for thirty years and I don't intend to start now.

Brilliant  8) must be the best reply thus far, 2020.

On your own mate.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #708 on: February 16, 2020, 09:00:36 PM »
He gave the ball away badly in the first couple of minutes when we were in a good attacking position. He was then generally quite tidy on the ball, but he is so slow and unfit that heís a liability without it. He also did very badly for their goal from the corner.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #709 on: February 16, 2020, 09:03:58 PM »
First goal was a simple case of putting a big striker at front post and it would've been headed away no problem. Think back to Heskey/Carew always being in that position (Benteke wasn't quite as good.....)

Seems we put Targett there and he tried to reach but simply not tall enough and then it was just pinball.

Even then I don't think anyone expected a CB on the turn who hadn't scored since May 2017 to finish like that. 9/10 that flies miles over the bar.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #710 on: February 16, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
I thought he was pretty good with the ball, and pretty terrible without it. As I said to my erstwhile matchday companion, he looks like a 50 year old playing with kids. The body canít do what the mind wants to. His legs have gone and they donít look like coming back.

Yep, looks like he is fighting against himself at times and even the simplest bits of play look difficult.  We really needed a strong addition in midfield in the window and sadly Drinkwater doesn't look like he is going to be that player.

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #711 on: February 16, 2020, 09:45:50 PM »
Still does not look fit enough which is a worry.
I wonder how he spent the winter break.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #712 on: February 16, 2020, 09:47:47 PM »
By the time he gets fit the season may be over. A very strange signing for me. Hurry back mr super John micginn this guy isnít fit to polish your boots

Online brian green

« Reply #713 on: February 16, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »
For me the biggest question mark against Dean Smith is the number of our acquisitions who have failed to deliver.  Of course none of that may be Smith's fault because we do not know what part he plays in player evaluation.  It is very odd that whoever does vet potential signings has come up with strikers as different as Wesley and Samatta.  One of whom looks all at sea and the other looks a very astute bit of business.

Online brian green

« Reply #714 on: February 16, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
Apologies that was intended for the DS thread.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #715 on: February 16, 2020, 10:05:55 PM »
For me the biggest question mark against Dean Smith is the number of our acquisitions who have failed to deliver.  Of course none of that may be Smith's fault because we do not know what part he plays in player evaluation.  It is very odd that whoever does vet potential signings has come up with strikers as different as Wesley and Samatta.  One of whom looks all at sea and the other looks a very astute bit of business.

It happens - Sir Graham bought Dwight Yorke and Tony Cascarino, Brian Little bought Gareth Southgate and Carl Tiler, Ron Saunders in the space of twelve months paid record fees for David Geddis and Peter Withe.

Online brian green

« Reply #716 on: February 16, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Fully understood though the Cascarino deal was a coin toss.  The point I am trying to make is that we do not know if Dean Smith has anything like the player acquisition authority that was enjoyed by Sir Graham, Sir Brian or Sir Ron. Has the placing of player buying in hands other than the team manager improved player quality consistency?  Cooks and broth.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #717 on: February 16, 2020, 10:34:00 PM »
b
Fully understood though the Cascarino deal was a coin toss.  The point I am trying to make is that we do not know if Dean Smith has anything like the player acquisition authority that was enjoyed by Sir Graham, Sir Brian or Sir Ron. Has the placing of player buying in hands other than the team manager improved player quality consistency?  Cooks and broth.

Smith doesnít look like the kind of manager who would tolerate players being signed without his consent.

Smith/purslow/Suso record£ is quite poor when you dissect it

Wesley 22m
Jota 4m
Engels 8m
Trez 12m
Kalinic 7m
Hause 2m

I think nakambaa d luiz have been good buys. Samatta too early. Mings and konsa both good I think as were Heaton and Reina.

I donít think el ghazi is good enough but I can see why we signed him.

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #718 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55:42 PM »
b

Smith doesnít look like the kind of manager who would tolerate players being signed without his consent.

Smith/purslow/Suso record£ is quite poor when you dissect it

Wesley 22m
Jota 4m
Engels 8m
Trez 12m
Kalinic 7m
Hause 2m

I think nakambaa d luiz have been good buys. Samatta too early. Mings and konsa both good I think as were Heaton and Reina.

I donít think el ghazi is good enough but I can see why we signed him.

Of the 18 players we've signed under the new set-up, you've only listed 6 buys you think are poor, one of whom was allegedly agreed before Smith took over.

Without getting into the ones I disagree with, I don't think that qualifies as 'quite poor' - I'd say 1 in every 3 signings not coming off would be more or less standard for most managers or dofs. Look at some of the duds Ferguson and Wenger signed over the years - for every Ronaldo there was a Kleberson.

For me, the main failing was that one of those midfield signings needed to be a defensive midfielder.

I think the only signings that can be truly agreed as a complete waste so far are Jota, Kalinic and Drinkwater; there are a lot who have shown potential in flashes but not been consistent enough and as such would be in the 'time will tell' category.

You've also missed out Guilbert, who if you are saying Nakamba and Luiz are good buys, has performed far more consistently than either of them and at £4.3m according to the internet, was a fantastic bit of business.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:04:27 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #719 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
And Matt Targett has grown into his role and isnít looking too bad. Of course it doesnít help that loads of players were just thrown together. These players if we stay up will be a year more experienced at this level and you would hope the manager would be too. The naivety we show is in large part down to experience or lack of. What I am having trouble with is Dean Smithís inability to adapt late in games and find a way through coaching and his tactics to close games out. Thatís inexcusable after 2/3 of the season.