collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Damo70
[Today at 04:49:08 AM]

Re: Classic Villa games on Youtube. by Damo70
[Today at 04:44:54 AM]

Re: Boxing 2020 by dave.woodhall
[Today at 02:35:45 AM]

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season? by ROBBO
[Today at 12:54:45 AM]

Re: MOTD by Vill I An
[March 28, 2020, 10:54:36 PM]

Re: The birth of English Football by Louzie0
[March 28, 2020, 10:50:02 PM]

Re: MOTD by Vill I An
[March 28, 2020, 10:49:31 PM]

Re: The birth of English Football by ChicagoLion
[March 28, 2020, 10:44:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 37747 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #630 on: January 23, 2020, 06:37:02 PM »
I listened to what Dean Smith said the other night about Drinkwater and Luiz. That Luiz has been a struggling a fit with fatigue and is in large part why he started Drinkwater. It actually serves two purposes. It gets Drinkwater up to PL speed much faster than U23ís or off the bench. It gives Luiz that much more rest off the bench and we can see the impact heís made. So both should be able to contribute more in the second half of the season while we wait for McGinn to return. I donít think at this point anyone is suggesting Drinkwater to be a long term answer but Iíll be interested to see what heís like later in the campaign once he is fully fit. And heís certainly embraced being at the club by way of how passionately he celebrated the winner the other night.

Exactly what I pointed out on Tuesday to those complaining about Drinkwater starting over Luiz.

He also said that he took Drinkwater off early as ďit wasnít his gameĒ.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #631 on: January 23, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
I listened to what Dean Smith said the other night about Drinkwater and Luiz. That Luiz has been a struggling a fit with fatigue and is in large part why he started Drinkwater. It actually serves two purposes. It gets Drinkwater up to PL speed much faster than U23ís or off the bench. It gives Luiz that much more rest off the bench and we can see the impact heís made. So both should be able to contribute more in the second half of the season while we wait for McGinn to return. I donít think at this point anyone is suggesting Drinkwater to be a long term answer but Iíll be interested to see what heís like later in the campaign once he is fully fit. And heís certainly embraced being at the club by way of how passionately he celebrated the winner the other night.

Exactly what I pointed out on Tuesday to those complaining about Drinkwater starting over Luiz.

He also said that he took Drinkwater off early as ďit wasnít his gameĒ.

I pointed that out as well, but forgot to press 'post'.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 29.07.2019
« Reply #632 on: January 25, 2020, 06:20:44 AM »
I clearly remember when Snodgrass first came to us  - he looked a stone over weight, ended up breathing out of his arse after 60 minutes and looked a bloody liability.

Once he got fitter and more importantly got his game legs back he became an integral part of the team that got to the play offs - lets support him and see what happens

Heís quoted as saying he was always over weight at villa.  He blamed the Ginsters pies that he bought at service stations to/from training.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »
I donít think at this point anyone is suggesting Drinkwater to be a long term answer but Iíll be interested to see what heís like later in the campaign once he is fully fit.

The problem with Drinkwater is that he's not a short term answer, i.e. someone to come straight in the team and do the business straight away to help keep us up / fill in adequately for McGinn.

If we were sitting comfortably mid table and they'd signed him precisely as a 'long term answer' i.e he's had a few years in the wilderness but he said that he wants to work with Terry and Smith etc and we feel that given time we can get him back to the player he was at Leicester, so could end up being as asset, i don't think so many people would have had the 'what the fuck' reaction.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »
Smith obviously thinks heíll be contributing in weeks not months and obviously if he does get up to speed he could become an important player in the run in

Offline Risso

« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2020, 03:12:01 PM »
I'm not sure how Drinkwater is supposed to be a replacement for McGinn anyway.  McGinn is box-to-box, trying to get into attacking positions and doing a bum roll and running at players.  None of that is Drinkwater's game at all.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
I'm not sure how Drinkwater is supposed to be a replacement for McGinn anyway.  McGinn is box-to-box, trying to get into attacking positions and doing a bum roll and running at players.  None of that is Drinkwater's game at all.

He's another midfielder. That's about it.

On another note; I'm going to try the bum roll at 5-a-side this evening.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #637 on: January 27, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »

Careful, you might pull

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #638 on: January 27, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »

For me it's an experienced head replacement (I know McGinn is young but he's played a lot of games in British football (the style of game in scotland isn't all that dissimilar, just lower quality) and is a good role model for Luiz and Nakamba who are very new to the way football is played in this league. Drinkwater was signed for that experience more than anything. So long as the results are ok I think his impact is better measured in how he can advise those pair than in his own performances. As loans go it's not one I'd have made but I do see the sense in getting an experienced midfielder in.

In truth I think this is more what he was hoping Lansbury would bring so that's who I judge him against and, despite not being great, I already see him as an upgrade.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #639 on: January 27, 2020, 04:22:30 PM »

Careful, you might pull

Charmer ;-)

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »

Careful, you might pull
[/quote]
A muscle
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:21:34 PM by Neil Hawkes »

Offline Risso

« Reply #641 on: January 27, 2020, 05:23:18 PM »

I think I could manage the pressing your arse into the defender bit, a bit less the roll sideways and the sprint up field with the ball bit!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #642 on: January 27, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »

Careful, you might pull
A muscle
[/quote]

Saw Vardy tweek his glute in a recent game.

Not a pretty sight.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #643 on: January 28, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »

He's not. And that's part of the reason why it makes zero sense in the situation we're in. It wouldn't make a lot of sense in any situation to be fair.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #644 on: January 28, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »

I think I could manage the pressing your arse into the defender bit, a bit less the roll sideways and the sprint up field with the ball bit!

You're not pressing my arse into anything....

I can roll quite well, as for spri... can't even say it never mind do it.

I did score with a nice bit of arse pressing to create space and a nifty back-heel into the corner last night mind.