collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
September 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 173 | Comments: 1

Players in England first offic...
September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 588 | Comments: 5

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 486 | Comments: 3

The big news since last season...
September 02, 2020, 10:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1009 | Comments: 14

After the deflating experience...
August 31, 2020, 10:22:32 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 618 | Comments: 2

Late on Friday evening 3rd Sep...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (back to obscurity)  (Read 50946 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #615 on: January 22, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
The midfield hasn't really looked sturdy with him in it though.  We've had two poor first halves in a row, which we were lucky to go in only 1-0 down in both, with him playing.  Then when Drinkwater gets hooked, we look much better. If the issue is that Luiz is better as a sub, then starting Drinkwater isn't the answer.

Absolutely
This tactic people talk of starting off with an inferior player in midfield hoping to keep the score down until you bring a better one on in the second half isnít a good one imo

why not just play your best players in their best positions from the start that might work

It's really not that simple though. Again I'm not saying drinkwater is the right player or that he's personally has played well but as a team I think we're starting to look better. Man City was clearly too soon to throw him in and we looked a mess and I'd say the hangover from that was a poor half at the weekend. Since then I think we've held our shape better and kept the ball better than we have for weeks and I'd be surprised if an experienced player in the middle nudging the team along in the right direction isn't at least part of that change. Maybe playing alongside someone like Drinkwater for a few months will help turn Nakamba and Luiz into the players they can become, and in turn improve us massively, I'm certainly willing to see if that happens so long as the results are going well.

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #616 on: January 22, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »
The midfield hasn't really looked sturdy with him in it though.  We've had two poor first halves in a row, which we were lucky to go in only 1-0 down in both, with him playing.  Then when Drinkwater gets hooked, we look much better. If the issue is that Luiz is better as a sub, then starting Drinkwater isn't the answer.

Absolutely
This tactic people talk of starting off with an inferior player in midfield hoping to keep the score down until you bring a better one on in the second half isnít a good one imo

why not just play your best players in their best positions from the start that might work

It's really not that simple though. Again I'm not saying drinkwater is the right player or that he's personally has played well but as a team I think we're starting to look better. Man City was clearly too soon to throw him in and we looked a mess and I'd say the hangover from that was a poor half at the weekend. Since then I think we've held our shape better and kept the ball better than we have for weeks and I'd be surprised if an experienced player in the middle nudging the team along in the right direction isn't at least part of that change. Maybe playing alongside someone like Drinkwater for a few months will help turn Nakamba and Luiz into the players they can become, and in turn improve us massively, I'm certainly willing to see if that happens so long as the results are going well.

Think youíll get your wish because heís been bought in and they will play him so hope your right

I have always advocated playing our best players in their best positions even fell out with a few on here last season when he opted for Whelan over McGinn in the derby

I donít think he is one of our best midfielders right now and we havenít really got a few months to see how it pans out but it looks like thatís the plan anyway

frankly I think Drinkwater was a mistake I canít pretend otherwise
Iíve never come on here and posted stuff I donít really mean but I will also hold my hands up if Iíve been wrong and I have been many times before

if he turns in a proper effective midfield performance I will honestly say,  and be very pleased to do so
but last night wasnít it

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #617 on: January 22, 2020, 11:58:23 PM »
I think McGinn would be better at the same role that Drinkwater is there to fill but he's 2 months away from fitness and is still young himself so may benefit from having Drinkwater around the squad for a few months.

So from what we have available:
Luiz and Marv look wrong together because their inexperience shows, I rate both and think they'll prove to be good signings over the next 18months or so but right now they need an older head with them.
Hourihane is worth having around because he others a goal threat but I don't think he's good enough in open play to start games in a 2, which makes it difficult to fit him in.
Lansbury is a waste of space who we really should be moving on.

On that basis I can understand why he's playing Drinkwater to get him up to speed as quickly as possible. He's not the player I'd have gone for because I'd have liked someone with a bit more physicality to look after Jack a bit (N'zonzi would be great) but he's what we have and I think just saying he's shit and wishing he hadn't joined doesn't change the fact that he's probably the right choice to be starting games right now.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #618 on: January 23, 2020, 12:13:16 AM »
I echo paul_e's sentiments. Our central midfield options are limited. The only thing that might change it as things stand is if Samatta's style allows us to play Luiz and Nakamba for 90 minutes. Even then, a lot of it will be up to Luiz himself, he needs to build himself into being that player.

I'm not even close to writing off Drinkwater yet.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #619 on: January 23, 2020, 08:09:30 AM »
He's got 10% to 20% less crap with each successive appearance.
 We may have a player by mid Feb?

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #620 on: January 23, 2020, 08:25:07 AM »
The way I see it heís offering more than Hourihane and Lansbury were which is why heís starting. I accept that he does offer the same set piece threat as Hourihane but I donít think we can afford the luxury of having Hourihane in the team for that alone as he offers nothing when we are out of possession.

With McGinn injured weíve seen that Luiz and Nakamaba as a two are still too raw and inexperienced so in thy respect itís an astute loan signing to get us through to the rest of the season.

We may not have been able to sign a better alternative, we may have targets for that position but Iím not sure signing another potential player like Luiz or Nakamba was the answer.

Offline nigel

« Reply #621 on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
I noticed a couple of times when Konsa and the Hause, took the ball upfield into the Watford half. Play broke down, Watford broke out. Both times it was Drinkwater who had stayed back and kept the formation until they got back.
Sometimes itís what you do without the ball that goes unnoticed.
I thought he did okay, and will get better

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 26.01.2021
« Reply #622 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
I clearly remember when Snodgrass first came to us  - he looked a stone over weight, ended up breathing out of his arse after 60 minutes and looked a bloody liability.

Once he got fitter and more importantly got his game legs back he became an integral part of the team that got to the play offs - lets support him and see what happens

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2021
« Reply #623 on: January 23, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »
Drinkwater has been brought in as cover for SJM. There is currently no viable, experienced, alternative in the current squad. I do think he is gradually getting fitter and sharper. It's the experience that is the most important, in my view, that we need more than anything, so I expect Drinkwater will start all the matches until SJM returns

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #624 on: January 23, 2020, 01:53:39 PM »
As has been pointed out, Drinkwater has been signed to be cover for SJM.

He also allows for Lansbury to be sold and whilst DD is far from brilliant, he is likely to offer more for the rest of the season than will Lansbury (IMO). UTV

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #625 on: January 23, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
As has been pointed out, Drinkwater has been signed to be cover for SJM.

He also allows for Lansbury to be sold and whilst DD is far from brilliant, he is likely to offer more for the rest of the season than will Lansbury (IMO). UTV

The chance of us "selling" Henri Lansbury in any circumstance lies somewhere between slim and none

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #626 on: January 23, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
he gets a thumbs up from me just for that celebration . I want players like that in the team who care like that , was great to see  , it was the same thing I was doing at work .

He has looked crap but im hoping each game he gets better and gets back to the Leicester form.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #627 on: January 23, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »
I listened to what Dean Smith said the other night about Drinkwater and Luiz. That Luiz has been a struggling with fatigue and is in large part why he started Drinkwater. It actually serves two purposes. It gets Drinkwater up to PL speed much faster than U23ís or off the bench. It gives Luiz that much more rest off the bench and we can see the impact heís made. So both should be able to contribute more in the second half of the season while we wait for McGinn to return. I donít think at this point anyone is suggesting Drinkwater to be a long term answer but Iíll be interested to see what heís like later in the campaign once he is fully fit. And heís certainly embraced being at the club by way of how passionately he celebrated the winner the other night.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:55:11 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #628 on: January 23, 2020, 04:09:01 PM »
I listened to what Dean Smith said the other night about Drinkwater and Luiz. That Luiz has been a struggling a fit with fatigue and is in large part why he started Drinkwater. It actually serves two purposes. It gets Drinkwater up to PL speed much faster than U23ís or off the bench. It gives Luiz that much more rest off the bench and we can see the impact heís made. So both should be able to contribute more in the second half of the season while we wait for McGinn to return. I donít think at this point anyone is suggesting Drinkwater to be a long term answer but Iíll be interested to see what heís like later in the campaign once he is fully fit. And heís certainly embraced being at the club by way of how passionately he celebrated the winner the other night.

Exactly what I pointed out on Tuesday to those complaining about Drinkwater starting over Luiz.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #629 on: January 23, 2020, 05:44:44 PM »
The point about Nakamba and Luiz not being suited as a 2 was valid in the 433 but with wing backs we are more compact and the choice should be between Nakamba or Drinkwater.If Luiz struggles to last 90 then his replacement could be Hourihane or a forward  if we need to chase the game or the Nakamba/ Drinkwater option if we need to see out a game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal