collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by richtheholtender
[Today at 05:39:38 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 05:38:09 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 05:37:55 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by The Edge
[Today at 05:34:57 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by David_Nab
[Today at 05:33:14 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by tim
[Today at 05:29:59 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Nev
[Today at 05:29:35 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by frank black
[Today at 05:29:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 37815 times)

Offline Vill I An

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #600 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »
 :-X
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:38:45 PM by Vill I An »

Offline WarszaVillan82

• GM : 22.06.2020
« Reply #601 on: January 22, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »
I thought first half against Brighton he was awful and couldn't keep up with the game. But he's got better. Yesterday he was showing for the ball and using it well, although you could see the pace of the game was still too much for him at times. It seems to work at the moment giving him 50/60 mins and bringing Douglas on.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : 21.01.2017
« Reply #602 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
Poor again for me.

He did at least try though, so it must be a lack of fitness. Question is, why so unfit? Lack of games alone doesn't excuse his condition.

Online AsTallAsLions

« Reply #603 on: January 22, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »
Poor again for me.

He did at least try though, so it must be a lack of fitness. Question is, why so unfit? Lack of games alone doesn't excuse his condition.

Agree with this. It's not for lack of trying but he just wasn't good. Don't see the improvements that people above are noting - he was slow, his tracking was poor, he gave the ball away a number of times. I think I saw him make one decent pass in the final third and that was the sum total of his contributions.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #604 on: January 22, 2020, 10:43:32 AM »
Just looking a little sharper and much better in comparison to previous 2 matches
Nothing outstanding of course and still more Danny treadwater when in running.

Online john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #605 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
no where near good enough for me

Luiz makes mistakes and sometimes struggles adjusting to the pace of the premier league but is a lot better player and also has that touch of class about him at times that we need

Drinkwater is no more than a back up player for me and not even first choice for that

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #606 on: January 22, 2020, 12:52:42 PM »
I thought he had a steady game. He always tried to make himself available for the ball and then move it quickly which is what I think he is being asked to do. Giving him an hour and the bringing on Luiz to exploit a tiring opposition has worked well in the last couple of games.

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #607 on: January 22, 2020, 01:01:45 PM »
It was a step up from his previous performances - let's hope that we continue to see improvement game by game.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #608 on: January 22, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »
4 points from the last 2 games with the midfield looking much sturdier and Luiz able to come on and change the game twice. drinkwater might not be fit, and there's no way it's all on him, but him being there has improved us and right now that's all I ask for. I'd be happy with most of our team putting in anonymous 6-7 out of 10 performances (Like Drinky last night) if it allows the flair player like Jack to bring the magic. Some people will call us a 1man team but the truth is if you have a special talent like that everyone else has a job of making sure he's able to do his thing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #609 on: January 22, 2020, 05:50:51 PM »
The midfield hasn't really looked sturdy with him in it though.  We've had two poor first halves in a row, which we were lucky to go in only 1-0 down in both, with him playing.  Then when Drinkwater gets hooked, we look much better. If the issue is that Luiz is better as a sub, then starting Drinkwater isn't the answer.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #610 on: January 22, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
The midfield hasn't really looked sturdy with him in it though.  We've had two poor first halves in a row, which we were lucky to go in only 1-0 down in both, with him playing.  Then when Drinkwater gets hooked, we look much better. If the issue is that Luiz is better as a sub, then starting Drinkwater isn't the answer.

Right now it is, because the results have been decent and no one else (Conor or Lansbury being the alternatives) has looked good starting since McGinn got injured and we now look, in my opinion, to have much better shape. I'd also disagree that the first half last night was poor. I thought we looked decent but had no cutting edge and their thuggish breaking up of play (by kicking Jack in the air on rotation) was working to unsettle us. I don't think Drinkwater has played well but I do think we looked more structured last night than we were over christmas and I think his experience and talking has played a part in that.

Online john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #611 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:20 PM »

Absolutely
This tactic people talk of starting off with an inferior player in midfield hoping to keep the score down until you bring a better one on in the second half isnít a good one imo

why not just play your best players in their best positions from the start that might work

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #612 on: January 22, 2020, 06:58:13 PM »
Was it him celebrating hitting the seats on the bench when we scored the winner?

Offline colin69

« Reply #613 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Was much better last night imo. Still needs to improve more though, but hopefully he will.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 03.05.2019
« Reply #614 on: January 22, 2020, 07:05:32 PM »
Was it him celebrating hitting the seats on the bench when we scored the winner?

Yeah