collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)  (Read 42387 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Danny Drinkwater (confirmed - on loan)
« Reply #810 on: February 21, 2020, 12:53:39 AM »
How is “off Prem pace” remotely acceptable for a team hoping to stay in the Premier League. He’s just made a team with no pace even slower.

Still can't understand the logic of signing him really.  The fact that he couldn't get in a Burnley side that has hardly been pulling up trees this season should have been a massive clue. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #811 on: February 21, 2020, 01:19:04 AM »
Signing him was bad enough.

Starting him in every single game he's been available for is real negligence.

I know Nakamba and Doug throw in random performances but they got through Leicester as the combination pretty o.k so don't really understand why we didn't go with that v Spurs.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #812 on: February 21, 2020, 09:10:42 AM »

I know Nakamba and Doug throw in random performances but they got through Leicester as the combination pretty o.k so don't really understand why we didn't go with that v Spurs.

I cant understand it myself. Conor lansbury luiz nakamba all ahear of him in my eyes. A complete liability when he plays

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #813 on: February 21, 2020, 11:52:15 AM »
Not about Lansbury, but I get the point you are making

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #814 on: February 21, 2020, 12:25:10 PM »

The logic of what they are doing is understandable - get him up to speed and he could become extremely valuable in the run in.

Whether you agree with the logic or it's worth the short term pain is, of course, a different matter.

The jury's still out for me. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #815 on: February 21, 2020, 12:52:07 PM »

The logic of what they are doing is understandable - get him up to speed and he could become extremely valuable in the run in.

Whether you agree with the logic or it's worth the short term pain is, of course, a different matter.

The jury's still out for me. 

He flags badly after half an hour. Would rather bring him on as a sub on the hour mark.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #816 on: February 21, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »
The one issue i have is not the player himself, its giving him and hour and taking him off. I can see why he's doing it but it's a waste of a sub.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #817 on: February 21, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »
With Super John McGinn due back in the not too distant future, I wonder whether he'll play much when he's 'match fit' anyway.

There have been some nice touches but he's just a liability.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #818 on: February 21, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
I genuinely don't remember seeing much of Drinkwater the year they won the league, my focus was totally at the other end of the table.  So has he lost a lot of pace? Or was he never particularly quick, and that failing was covered in midfield by Kante being lightning over 5 yards?

I'm just wondering if at his best he wasn't particularly mobile, and all we're missing is match sharpness,, or is he a shadow of who he was physically?

He used cover every blade of grass on the pitch from what I recall. Wasn't there a bit of a furore that he didn't make the England squad for those Euros that summer. It's fair to say those days are long past for Drinky and are never coming back. I expect his refuelling habits have put paid to that athleticism.

At his peak, he never struck me as the type of midfielder comfortable of sitting in front of a back four. So I've genuinely no idea why Smith thought he could do it for us. Another one of the umpteen reasons why he was a dreadful signing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #819 on: February 21, 2020, 09:40:13 PM »
I'd say he's a similar type of player to Ryan Woods, not particularly defensive but happy to hold a position deep in midfield and use the extra yard of space that gives to try to pick incisive passes but combined with a work rate and desire to get involved that makes them busy and energetic. I think Smith saw the same and decided to try to replicate what Woods did for him at Brentford. What's causing  a problem is that, with players like that, if they lose that desire for a while it can be hard to get it back and his time as a bench player for Chelsea clearly had a big impact on his desire for the game. From what I've seen I think he is genuinely trying get back to what he was, but I have no idea if he'll get there this season. I don't think he was a particularly good signing but I can see why Smith thought it was worth a go given the restrictions we appear to have been working under in January.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #820 on: February 22, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »
pointless signing and one that could well cost Dean his job if he keeps selecting him.

Offline in exile

• GM : 25.06.2019
« Reply #821 on: February 24, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
I wish some people would spell check posts

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #822 on: February 24, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

You missed a full-stop.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #823 on: February 24, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »

You missed a full-stop.

Full stop doesn't have a dash in it.

Offline cdward

« Reply #824 on: February 24, 2020, 12:46:23 PM »
When is McGinn back, so we can close this thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal