collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Not Pressed-up and going nowhere  (Read 4436 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Not Pressed-up and going nowhere
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2020, 05:09:02 PM »
Bollocks to the FA Cup - I can't wait for us to survive this season so that I can have "17th in the league, 2019/20" tattooed across my tits.

Dirty Glory Hunter.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:34 PM »
Another perfect summing up of proceedings and the situation, Mr Woodhall!
I wept on Saturday going home on the tube, and have no tears left!!!

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »
And 53,000 turning up to VP on a school night (including a 14 year-old me) to see Forest play Swindon in a 5th round second replay in '67.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 07:54:21 PM »
I reminded myself of what it used to be by looking back at the 57 final and that spectacular first goal of Peter Mac, I was a thirteen year old watching my idols on the tele and could not believe the size of the crowd and wished I could have been there. Sad to say it means so little these days we should let it die gracefully as for me if we were to be relegated I may not be around to see Villa get promoted again.

Online ez

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
Relegation or FA cup win?

It's a toughie. Having thought about it, though, I reckon I would rather win the FA Cup than get relegated.

Actually, relegation or fa cup win is not a difficult choice at all. Staying up or fa cup win? Now that's a toughie  ;)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2020, 09:04:42 PM »
I understand why people lament the demise of the FA Cup.  It really was a massive deal in my childhood.  Cup Final day was a big thing everywhere despite who was playing.  As others have said, a lot of that was down to the fact that it was pretty much the only live domestic game you saw on the telly back then.  That said, Villa need to stay up this season or face a very uncertain future.  Let's stay up, build again and then go for it.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
Kids, if you want a flavour of what the Cup once was, get on that there YouTube and look up "Meanwhile Back In Sunderland".   Filmed around the town on the day of the 1973 final, in terms of social history and an understanding of how football in general and the F.A. Cup in particular could galvanize and unite a community, I think it's one of the greatest football-related documentaries of all time.

Wow that’s must see footage in 4 parts (on YouTube).  I can remember the FA cup final being like this in the 70s & 80s although sadly not with Villa involved at the time.

Offline russon

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2020, 08:13:04 AM »
It was the Fifth Round. A photo from the match was on the Subbuteo set I had as a youth.

Here...

I always thought the image was of them scoring, but they're actually putting it just wide as shown from about four minutes in on the video below (from the Barnes free kick).

Highlights of the match...

Watford warm up in front of the Holte?! I don’t remember the away teams doing that, was that a one off or a regular thing?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal