collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Damo70
[Today at 03:53:00 PM]

Other Games - 2021/22 by Damo70
[Today at 03:47:59 PM]

Aston Villa vs Leicester City pre match thread by Risso
[Today at 03:37:31 PM]

John Burridge 70 by not3bad
[Today at 03:34:25 PM]

Guess The Goal R19: ASTON VILLA v Leicester, Sunday 5th December!🥅 by beness
[Today at 03:23:26 PM]

The International Cricket Thread by taylorsworkrate
[Today at 02:08:12 PM]

Paul McGrath - don't worry by darren woolley
[Today at 02:04:22 PM]

Resale of tickets punishments by Ad@m
[Today at 02:03:55 PM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3372 | Comments: 5

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 5894 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2877 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2168 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2412 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith Sacked  (Read 162551 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
Re: Smith out
« Reply #1935 on: October 26, 2021, 02:51:43 PM »
Think a win the weekend against a good side, especially one who so comfortably beat us last season at Villa Park would be a very welcome tonic.

Would change the nature of coming games, as all 3 there after are winnable.

Has to pick his best side in its best formation. If Bailey doesn't start I'd be shocked. I'd definitely start Sanson too as my worry is with how physical they are, we need legs to press. With somebody next to McGinn as well, there's at least cover for his never ending recycling of the ball.

We have a quality squad, it's top half, use it Smith or somebody else will sooner rather than later.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1936 on: October 26, 2021, 02:53:37 PM »
Apparently we smashed a full strength Everton side, Spurs didn't happen, we were dominating Wolves and were unfortunate to lose and Arsenal was a blip.

Name one poster who thinks this.
I dont know what people think but I can read.

OK then O librarian of Alexandria, name one poster who's written anything even slightly to the effect of 'Spurs didn't happen' or 'Arsenal was a blip', or even that we were unlucky against Wolves?
You expect me to engage with condescending crap like this?
Go play somewhere else.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1937 on: October 26, 2021, 02:56:13 PM »
Apparently we smashed a full strength Everton side, Spurs didn't happen, we were dominating Wolves and were unfortunate to lose and Arsenal was a blip.

Name one poster who thinks this.
I dont know what people think but I can read.

OK then O librarian of Alexandria, name one poster who's written anything even slightly to the effect of 'Spurs didn't happen' or 'Arsenal was a blip', or even that we were unlucky against Wolves?
You expect me to engage with condescending crap like this?
Go play somewhere else.

Keep that up and I know someone who will be going somewhere else.

Online Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #1938 on: October 26, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
Straw-manning the thread is pretty condescending too. Don't think anyone has said anything even close to to 'Spurs didn't happen', so if you're not going to play fair with others you can hardly complain when it's dished back at you.

Offline go on the dog

« Reply #1939 on: October 26, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
Smith In for me

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1940 on: October 26, 2021, 03:25:19 PM »
Think a win the weekend against a good side, especially one who so comfortably beat us last season at Villa Park would be a very welcome tonic.

Has to pick his best side in its best formation. If Bailey doesn't start I'd be shocked. I'd definitely start Sanson too as my worry is with how physical they are, we need legs to press. With somebody next to McGinn as well, there's at least cover for his never ending recycling of the ball.

We have a quality squad, it's top half, use it Smith or somebody else will sooner rather than later.

Agree with this.

Smith has to step back and re-think his use of the squad. Sticking with the same 3-5-2 formation and the same team (some of whom are clearly out of form) needs to be dropped, he needs to show more ruthlessness and counter what he's up against.

Controversial but for me Mings and Tuanzebe need to be benched (I'd bring Hause in and pair him up with Konza in a back 4), I'd drop Ramsey and bring in Sanson (we need to see if he's the real deal or not), and Bailey in a middle 5, and I'd drop one of Ings/Watkins (it ain't working Dean, it just isnt!).

And I'd give it till HT and then have a pre-arranged plan B if it isn't generating the right performance.           

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1941 on: October 26, 2021, 03:55:35 PM »

Agree with this.

Smith has to step back and re-think his use of the squad. Sticking with the same 3-5-2 formation and the same team (some of whom are clearly out of form) needs to be dropped, he needs to show more ruthlessness and counter what he's up against.

Controversial but for me Mings and Tuanzebe need to be benched (I'd bring Hause in and pair him up with Konza in a back 4), I'd drop Ramsey and bring in Sanson (we need to see if he's the real deal or not), and Bailey in a middle 5, and I'd drop one of Ings/Watkins (it ain't working Dean, it just isnt!).

And I'd give it till HT and then have a pre-arranged plan B if it isn't generating the right performance.           

The thing is, if you are making all those changes, you need to give it more than 45 minutes surely?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1942 on: October 26, 2021, 04:08:17 PM »

Agree with this.

I think there is a good case for changing back to a 4-3-3 formation on Sunday, particularly as West Ham will line up like that.  I just think we have a lot more options in that formation, but it will require some big decisions. 

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1943 on: October 26, 2021, 04:44:42 PM »
There's no way he'll play Sanson if he really did spit the dummy on Friday, he'll see it as showing the squad they can do what they want and undermining him.  I don't think he was 100% invested in Sanson anyway, so suspect we'll see little of him in Deano's thinking now.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #1944 on: October 26, 2021, 05:17:04 PM »

Agree with this.

The thing is, if you are making all those changes, you need to give it more than 45 minutes surely?
Both these posts are correct. I agree totally with the changes suggested except with those changes Id persevere with Ings/Watkins but it will need more than 45 minutes to bed in.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #1945 on: October 26, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »

Both these posts are correct. I agree totally with the changes suggested except with those changes Id persevere with Ings/Watkins but it will need more than 45 minutes to bed in.

It's not necessarily Ings and Wtkins themselves that are the problem, it's just that the only way to shoehorn them into a pair is in a 5-3-2, which destroys our width, or in a 4-4-2 which would see us overrun in midfield. You could arguably put Watkins wide in a forward 3, but that would mean him playing a role that's not his natural one, at the expense of either Bailey, Traore or Buendia.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #1946 on: October 26, 2021, 07:13:36 PM »

It's not necessarily Ings and Wtkins themselves that are the problem, it's just that the only way to shoehorn them into a pair is in a 5-3-2, which destroys our width, or in a 4-4-2 which would see us overrun in midfield. You could arguably put Watkins wide in a forward 3, but that would mean him playing a role that's not his natural one, at the expense of either Bailey, Traore or Buendia.

Exactly. Ever since we shoehorned them as a pair up top, the general response has been poor. Dean needs to pick players on merit and neither of the front 2 are firing. Dropping 1 will create better balance overall.

And regards Sanson - fair enough re the tantrum. But then leave him out the squad altogether - if you dont like him or his attitude, kick him out - dont dangle him on the subs bench and frustrate him and the fans.

Offline Ads

• GM : 04.04.2022
« Reply #1947 on: October 26, 2021, 07:51:31 PM »

I think he could play as a wide forward. He used to for Brentford and his work ethic is so good that he'd really button up an opposition full back.

Liverpool do it and I absolutely accept their quality is miles ahead of moat globally, never mind us, but if Salah can start generally wide and wreak havoc centrally, then we should look to adopt that flexibility too.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1948 on: October 26, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »

I think he could play as a wide forward. He used to for Brentford and his work ethic is so good that he'd really button up an opposition full back.

Liverpool do it and I absolutely accept their quality is miles ahead of moat globally, never mind us, but if Salah can start generally wide and wreak havoc centrally, then we should look to adopt that flexibility too.

This is true but he's an England International centre forward and a midtable championship winger on the evidence we have. That's not to say he couldn't 'do a job' but with his record for us and all the wingers we have that need games is it something we should be looking at?

For me pushing him onto the wing is nearly as big a cop out as playing him with Ings so you don't have to bench one of them.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #1949 on: October 26, 2021, 08:39:01 PM »
Smith needs to grow a pair and drop Ings or Watkins - I'm not fussed which - just play the one in better form, fitness and working harder and better in training, and if he doesn't score goals or play well then drop him and play the other.

Fergie wasn't this much of a soft touch when he had half a dozen good forwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal