collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kaine Kesler Hayden by LukeJames
[Today at 04:28:12 PM]

The International Cricket Thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:10:15 PM]

NSWE Investment by Damo70
[Today at 03:53:00 PM]

Other Games - 2021/22 by Damo70
[Today at 03:47:59 PM]

Aston Villa vs Leicester City pre match thread by Risso
[Today at 03:37:31 PM]

John Burridge 70 by not3bad
[Today at 03:34:25 PM]

Guess The Goal R19: ASTON VILLA v Leicester, Sunday 5th December!🥅 by beness
[Today at 03:23:26 PM]

Paul McGrath - don't worry by darren woolley
[Today at 02:04:22 PM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3372 | Comments: 5

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 5894 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2877 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2168 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 2412 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith Sacked  (Read 162557 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2022
Re: Smith out
« Reply #1830 on: October 24, 2021, 10:54:22 PM »
Realistically, who do Villa go out and get?

Offline algy

« Reply #1831 on: October 24, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »
Realistically, who do Villa go out and get?
Realistically, I think we could probably take our pick of any manager of any club in Europe with a small number of exceptions - a few Italian & Spanish clubs plus Bayern Munich. Anyone else, we can offer more wages, a bigger budget, and a higher profile position.

Not that I'm advocating that we get rid of Smith. But if we do get rid, I think we'll have plenty of options.

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2022
« Reply #1832 on: October 24, 2021, 11:35:56 PM »
I'm very much in the Smith out camp now. I love the guy but he's not up to the job of taking us where we need to be. He consistently shows signs of being a good manager, but his limitations that he displays on a frequent basis proves he's not a great manager. We surely want to push on to the next level now, so let's thank Dean for his services and then move on.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1833 on: October 25, 2021, 06:36:59 AM »
I cant see him surviving if we lose to west ham. Four straight defeats that would be and i think the fans are losing their patience

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1834 on: October 25, 2021, 06:44:05 AM »
I cant see him surviving if we lose to west ham. Four straight defeats that would be and i think the fans are losing their patience
They might give him until Southampton and the International break.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1835 on: October 25, 2021, 08:05:44 AM »
The players are showing alarming signs of very low confidence. Basic lack of ball control and constantly giving it to the opposition is a sure sign. Buendia is a prime example. Norwich fans were gutted when he left with some saying he's the best player they've seen play for Norwich. He won championship player of the year last season. There's a very good player in there surely?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 10:02:25 AM by Villafirst »

Offline NeilH

« Reply #1836 on: October 25, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
Erik ten Hag plays four at the back. Ajax are top of the league and have hammered Borussia Dortmund and Sporting Lisbon this season. Dutch so bound to speak English, too. Get him, if Smith goes, please.

Its not often I post on here these days, but as someone who has lived in the lowlands for a long time I could not let this one go. There is not a chance in a gazillion years that we could get ten Hag, he is in the process of building yet another world-class group of Ajax players who are absolutely pi*sing the Eredivisie this season, this right on the back of a drubbing of Borussia which cements them as genuine Champions League latter stage contenders.
What possible reason would he jump ship and join a middling Premier League team, albeit with lofty ambitions? The only possible exception I can see would be if Yanited boot Ole out and throw a massive paycheck at him, but I think even that would be 50/50. A more realistic option would be Peter Bosz, who helped shape the current Ajax team.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #1837 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:19 AM »

They might give him until Southampton and the International break.

Possibly. If he lost them both then there should be no hesitation in giving him the sack.  His stubborness is costing us bad. He could have turned this around of he was no persistent on playing 5 at back or 2 up top that has clearly been a collosal failure.

I just hope we dont see banners at villa park saying smith out. Even though im thinking smith is in line for the sack i hope fans respect him for what he has done for us. He is one of us and doesnt deserve banners demanding him out. That would be pathetic and i.wouldnt support that

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1838 on: October 25, 2021, 08:26:14 AM »
The players are showing alarming signs of very low confidence. Basic lack of ball control and constantly giving it to the opposition is a sure sign. Buendia is a prime example. Norwich fans were gutted when he left with some saying he's the best player they've seen play for Norwich. He won championship player of the year last season. There's a very good player in there surely?
Buendia is an excellent player, just not as one of 3 grafting midfielders.
Playing out from the back, giving McGinn the ball 35 yds from you own goal or having Mings blast it into the space behind the opponent's right back; having Watkins and Ings running around like headless chicken; sacrificing the wings to the opposition, playing a spare CB when the opponents are not playing much of a front line  ...
These are the things that have driven confidence levels down; along with the lack of changes. No wonder the team looked disjointed: against Wolves, with 15 minutes to go, the obvious thing to have done - said at the time - was to go 4-3-3 to push the Podence-inspired revival back up the pitch: instead, we doubled down, dropping 8-10 yards and narrowing the pitch (Semedo certainly enjoyed the extra space he got!).
To turn out again on Friday in the same format would have caused players to lack confidence.

Offline TheTimVilla

« Reply #1839 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:07 AM »
I'm very much in the Smith out camp now. I love the guy but he's not up to the job of taking us where we need to be. He consistently shows signs of being a good manager, but his limitations that he displays on a frequent basis proves he's not a great manager. We surely want to push on to the next level now, so let's thank Dean for his services and then move on.

I would agree with this. That's at least the second time we have turned 2-0 up in to a 3-2 loss (Burnley away). I remember the grief Tim Sherwood got when we did that at Leicester. Deano gets more slack because he's a Villa fan.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #1840 on: October 25, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
The real frustration is the shift from 6th-best defence in 2020-21, to one of the worst. That is crazy and flies in the face of the work done during lockdown.

Online ez

« Reply #1841 on: October 25, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
I think he'll get a few more games to turn it around. Question is how long do we leave it before Europe is out of reach. I know its early but we're already playing catch up.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #1842 on: October 25, 2021, 08:41:49 AM »
Erik ten Hag plays four at the back. Ajax are top of the league and have hammered Borussia Dortmund and Sporting Lisbon this season. Dutch so bound to speak English, too. Get him, if Smith goes, please.

Its not often I post on here these days, but as someone who has lived in the lowlands for a long time I could not let this one go. There is not a chance in a gazillion years that we could get ten Hag, he is in the process of building yet another world-class group of Ajax players who are absolutely pi*sing the Eredivisie this season, this right on the back of a drubbing of Borussia which cements them as genuine Champions League latter stage contenders.
What possible reason would he jump ship and join a middling Premier League team, albeit with lofty ambitions? The only possible exception I can see would be if Yanited boot Ole out and throw a massive paycheck at him, but I think even that would be 50/50. A more realistic option would be Peter Bosz, who helped shape the current Ajax team.

Top managers don't hang around the Dutch League very long. There's no way he will be Ajax manager in two seasons if they keep doing well in Europe and winning stuff at home.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #1843 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
No chance of Europe this season, with Smith at least.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1844 on: October 25, 2021, 08:44:49 AM »
I think he'll get a few more games to turn it around. Question is how long do we leave it before Europe is out of reach. I know its early but we're already playing catch up.
I think the international break is an obvious time to assess where we are, thatís 11 games in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal