collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:17:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by LukeJames
[Today at 08:16:24 PM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:15:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by David_Nab
[Today at 08:14:48 PM]

[Today at 08:12:28 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final Pre Match Thread by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:12:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by DB
[Today at 08:11:48 PM]

[Today at 08:10:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Smith out  (Read 42716 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Smith out
« Reply #1140 on: January 22, 2020, 07:08:23 AM »
We're actually 7th on current form (last 6 games) remarkably. Most of that with no striker and including the Man City drubbing. Just goes to show how tight it's going to be. We may not be pulling up any trees but not many around us are either... a Saints or Watford type run of wins would be handy... starting now.

Our "problem" is not the scoring of goals, we are quite good at that, it's the fact that we are conceding too many. Our holding midfield players need to step up. It showed yesterday when Nakamba had the best spoiling game i think i have seen him have. Apart from the mess Hause, Konza and Targett got in to give them their goal and the messing about in the box that allowed Deeney to prove how good still Renia is I cannot really remember Watford causing an issue.

I think our problem is the lack of goal threat from Trez, Wesley when he played and El Ghazi. A great battling performance last night but Trez and El Ghazi were our weakest link I thought. I know itís not easy without a recognised striker but I canít see these two improving much.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1141 on: January 22, 2020, 08:35:17 AM »
We're actually 7th on current form (last 6 games) remarkably. Most of that with no striker and including the Man City drubbing. Just goes to show how tight it's going to be. We may not be pulling up any trees but not many around us are either... a Saints or Watford type run of wins would be handy... starting now.

Our "problem" is not the scoring of goals, we are quite good at that, it's the fact that we are conceding too many. Our holding midfield players need to step up. It showed yesterday when Nakamba had the best spoiling game i think i have seen him have. Apart from the mess Hause, Konza and Targett got in to give them their goal and the messing about in the box that allowed Deeney to prove how good still Renia is I cannot really remember Watford causing an issue.

I think our problem is the lack of goal threat from Trez, Wesley when he played and El Ghazi. A great battling performance last night but Trez and El Ghazi were our weakest link I thought. I know itís not easy without a recognised striker but I canít see these two improving much.

I thought El Ghazi led the line really well and worked his bollocks off for the team. Trez was largely gash though.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #1142 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:35 AM »
I wonder whether the rotation of our midfielders has given the likes of Nakamba enough of a break to rediscover his early-season spark. He was breaking stuff up so well then and last night he was on it again.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #1143 on: January 29, 2020, 08:36:10 AM »
The state of the comments on this thread from a week ago.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1144 on: January 29, 2020, 08:41:57 AM »

Is it as bad as not posting a single positive when we reach a cup final?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #1145 on: January 29, 2020, 09:04:05 AM »
He has won me back. He deserves to stay until end of season after the last two results.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #1146 on: January 29, 2020, 09:13:46 AM »
Smith made a comment in a recent interview that historically his teams perform better in the 2nd half of the season. Not wanting to carried away just yet, but there has certainly been a recent improvement. Good relationships seem to be developing between some players on the pitch. It was always going to be tough this season with the player turnaround we had in the summer, especially with so many of them being young and new to the league.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
Stop it. I didn't comment on here either way but can understand negative comments. They were posted in a different situation.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2020, 09:24:27 AM »
Best thing about last night for me was the performance, at like that for the rest of the season and we'll be fine. Hopefully that will carry over in to Sat.

Offline mallo

« Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »
With the new formation we've turned a corner - I was so frustrated at the lack of change and the subs not being used well. We seem to have done some soul searching and come up with a winning formula - long may it continue. We might even score a few with Samatta. I think Wes' injury has actually helped Smith in a way.

Online AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1150 on: January 29, 2020, 10:42:46 AM »
With the new formation we've turned a corner - I was so frustrated at the lack of change and the subs not being used well. We seem to have done some soul searching and come up with a winning formula - long may it continue. We might even score a few with Samatta. I think Wes' injury has actually helped Smith in a way.

This is the key thing. A lot of the frustration and impatience was born out of Dean's stubborn refusal to change things up. We were seeing the definition of madness played out before our eyes - trying the same thing time and again expecting different results - and it was killing our season.

That has now thankfully changed and long may it continue. A note of caution though - the current formation and tactics don't work against everyone, as evidenced by the City game, so we do need short-term flexibility as well as this improved shape. Just have to trust that Dean and his team will have that flexibility moving forward.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 23.05.2016
« Reply #1151 on: January 29, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
Stop it. I didn't comment on here either way but can understand negative comments. They were posted in a different situation.

Well I don't. As the season began everyone was all "Keep the faith when the going gets tough". So the going gets tough and out come the fickle fans. Load of bollocks. I won't even bother looking at the state of the comments from a week back because I know they will be bollocks.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1152 on: January 29, 2020, 06:14:48 PM »

Well I don't. As the season began everyone was all "Keep the faith when the going gets tough". So the going gets tough and out come the fickle fans. Load of bollocks. I won't even bother looking at the state of the comments from a week back because I know they will be bollocks.

I'm not giving it the bigger fan either, but the point stands. It's up to those guilty to take it on the chin, and think on a bit next time.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #1153 on: January 29, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »
I'm not giving it the bigger fan either, but the point stands. It's up to those guilty to take it on the chin, and think on a bit next time.

Yeah ... that's the defining characteristic of the people making those comments, a willingness and ability to consider alternative points of view, think deeply about the consequences of new information and distil it all into a considered point of view .....

;)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #1154 on: January 29, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »
Smith made a comment in a recent interview that historically his teams perform better in the 2nd half of the season.

Then he needs to learn how to do it in the first half of the season.

Heís been willing to change tactics, formation and personnel, so Iím sure that will come too.