collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by richtheholtender
[Today at 05:40:26 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by chrisw1
[Today at 05:40:03 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by richtheholtender
[Today at 05:39:38 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 05:38:09 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 05:37:55 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by The Edge
[Today at 05:34:57 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by David_Nab
[Today at 05:33:14 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by tim
[Today at 05:29:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Smith out  (Read 55331 times)

Offline GarTomas

Re: Smith out
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
I donít think smith has been great overall this season. But this transfer window, on top of the shit summer, make me feel increasingly like heís not our biggest problem.
I agree.

From various comments it does seem Smith seems to be distancing himself from the transfers.  He says what type of player he wants and suso goes and get them.  He wanted an Abraham and a Philips and ended up with Wesley & Nakamba.  He wanted a Benrahma and got Trezuget.  He wanted Maupay and got nobody.  I reckon if Smith had got what he wanted, we'd be in a far better place.  I appreciate Abraham wasn't available and the price of the others was too high, but I do think if Smith had got the players he wanted we'd be doing fine now.  Whilst individually each playet bought in the summer may come good, collectively the business done does feel very naieve for a newly promoted inexperienced team.

I'm sure people will quote Smith saying he signed off the transfers and was happy with them at the time.  What else was he going to say? "Wesley looks ok but to be honest I'd have much preferred someone with more experience"?

If we ignore the fact that Suso may not be the right person for that role, isnít that the kind of scouting setup we want though?

When weíve changed managers previously itís led to large inflated squads with several players drawing wages who arenít in the first team picture.

Isnít the idea we have a preferred style of play and player and to build continuity?

Online Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #961 on: January 17, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
I reckon if Smith had got what he wanted, we'd be in a far better place.  I appreciate Abraham wasn't available and the price of the others was too high, but I do think if Smith had got the players he wanted we'd be doing fine now. 

I'm sure people will quote Smith saying he signed off the transfers and was happy with them at the time.  What else was he going to say? "Wesley looks ok but to be honest I'd have much preferred someone with more experience"?

To be fair, I think every team on the planet would feel they'd be in a better place if the manager got exactly what they wanted too. I'll have Messi, Van Dijk, Hazard, Lewandowski.........

Reality isn't ideal though. Abraham and Maupay weren't available (at least not for the right money).

Online chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
I reckon if Smith had got what he wanted, we'd be in a far better place.  I appreciate Abraham wasn't available and the price of the others was too high, but I do think if Smith had got the players he wanted we'd be doing fine now. 

To be fair, I think every team on the planet would feel they'd be in a better place if the manager got exactly what they wanted too. I'll have Messi, Van Dijk, Hazard, Lewandowski.........

Reality isn't ideal though. Abraham and Maupay weren't available (at least not for the right money).
Of course.  But Maupay was available, as was Benrahma, Watkins and probably Philips.

Online mr underhill

« Reply #963 on: January 17, 2020, 02:40:38 PM »
of course, but at more money than we were prepared to pay - just like Webster, too.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #964 on: January 17, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »
Webster isn't very popular amongst Brighton fans, they want him dropped for Saturday.

Online Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #965 on: January 17, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »
They could drop all their cbs as there's no striker to mark.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #966 on: January 17, 2020, 03:16:19 PM »
I'd imagine El Ghazi will play up front. I hope they drop their centre backs, itnwould certainly make winning easier.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #967 on: January 17, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
Webster isn't very popular amongst Brighton fans, they want him dropped for Saturday.

Thought he was brilliant against us. Must just be another bastard that raises his game against Villa, then. 😡

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #968 on: January 18, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
45 minutes to save his job

Offline levico

« Reply #969 on: January 18, 2020, 03:54:20 PM »
Hello?

Nobody here?

Iíll come back later.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #970 on: January 18, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
They won't sack Smith because we managed to get up a year ahead of schedule so they have accepted that we were under-prepared in the summer, although no excuses for it in January.  That said, this is an excuse and they needed to grasp the mettle, look that gift-horse in the mouth.  Who gives a fuck we got up ahead of schedule?  Take that chance.  What is also shows me, if and when we go back down, if Smith brings us back up, he's already shown that he's not a Manager for this level, even with the experience of this season.  Too late to bin him now as I don't think there's anyone out there who would really want it, unless they are a mercenary, got nothing to lose shyster like Sam fatfuck.

Offline wince

« Reply #971 on: January 18, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
Iím sadly in the make the change camp. Get us safe and go from there. We simply cannot afford to get relegated

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #972 on: January 18, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
Would getting rid of him actually make any difference? We look doomed at the moment.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #973 on: January 18, 2020, 04:02:45 PM »
Would getting rid of him actually make any difference? We look doomed at the moment.
We have to try though.  No point throwing in the towel because this manager is taking us down - get another manager.  At the very least we'll be able to say we tried to turn it around.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #974 on: January 18, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Where is Purslow? Like, where is he? Why is this acceptable? Smith was found out weeks ago and I am starting to dislike the whole set-up.

No point going up to go back down.