collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: So long to the 2010s  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Villan82

So long to the 2010s
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
What a stinker of a decade the 2010s have been for us. I cannot wait for the 2020s!

I wasn't around in the 60s, so I accept they were pretty bad (although there was at least some silverware to celebrate and one top 7 finish in there too), but the 2010s must surely ranks as one of the worst decades in our history?

We entered the 2010s as a top 6 club looking forward to a League Cup final and a potential top four finish after beating United away in December 2009 (intriguingly, we entered the 90s as a title-chasing side and were regularly among the 'big boys' in the late 90s/beginning of the 00s).

When we got into bother in 2011 we splashed the cash on Darren Bent and looked set to bounce back up the table. However, something happened to us that year and we haven't been right since. The appointment of McLeish was a statement of utter mediocrity and mediocrity was what we got. I think 2011-12 was also the year that a culture of 'doing enough to survive' became ingrained in the club - hitting the bare bones 38 points in 3 of our last four seasons before the relegation season. Relegation, when it came, was a humiliation. Also, lest we look back on them with rose tinted glasses, the years in the championship were painful - being a scalp for small teams, the Upper Trinity closed, awful referees.  The magical 10-game winning run and the play-off final were an exception to the rule and we should dread a return to the championship.

We end the decade sitting in 18th as a newly promoted team wondering if we should stick or twist with the manager. Massive decisions coming up and they will define our fortunes, and those of Jack Grealish, in the 2020s. I hope we get those decisions right.

Online Deano's Mullet

Re: So long to the 2010s
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
2011 onwards it's been total pain. Boring defensive football under McCleish, total buffoonery under Lambert and a complete surrender by Lerner and Co in 2016 as  we finally fell through the plug hole we had been circling.
I did enjoy the championship. The first year was a novelty as we were winning games again even if 13th was all we could achieve. Year 2 I enjoyed, let's face it we did win twenty odd league games, it just should have been so much better, particularly at Wembley. Year 3 was a delight in the end after a mixed first half of the season - have we ever had a season before with so many crazy score lines and stories?
This season the pain has returned but I feel at least the backing is there and the board mean business and have ambition. I just hope we don't have to drop out of the division to start all over again.
Late 80s - great. 90s often a mixed bag but some real real high points, 2000s very mediocre up until a revival in the last four years. The 2010s....?  The lowest decade of my supporting time with three season holiday in the championship.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: So long to the 2010s
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »
Yep worst decade since the 60s.

70s had the rebirth and rise back up the leagues and league win, no need to discuss the 80s, 90s is seen as period of underachievement but it still had a couple of 2nd place finishes, numerous other top 6 finishes and two trophies won. Some big european scalps aswell.

2000s was more when we slipped from being an elite club in this country but still four top 6 finishes although not a great decade for cup runs after the 2000 FA cup final. Barely made a dent in european football.

2010s did have drama in the cups but ultimately our final showings summed up the missed opportunities. Less said about pretty much all our league seasons bar the run in last season the better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal