collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Owners  (Read 16758 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: The Owners
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
The team that trounced us on Sunday spent £150m on just full backs. £100m on 2 centre half.

United spunked £86m on a player and he doesn't play

'The Mighty Reds YNWA' paid £150m on a keeper and a centre half.

The game financially has gone mental

What about Sheffield United, then?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
Only Real Madrid had a greater net spend than us this summer, anywhere on the planet. I won't dismiss the owners as penny-pinchers just yet.

The willingness to spend money is not the problem, they've provided plenty of it.

We started the season with three strikers - one expensiveish but unknown quantity signing from Belgian league, one clearly not good enough at this level, and one who has pretty much never scored a goal, and most of the time is injured in any case.

That's fucking dreadful planning.

I can't be arsed with all the "Yeah but they wanted Maupay too!" rubbish because not only did they not get him, they didn't get anyone else. And here we are now getting sucked into the bottom three without a single fit and available striker at the club.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2020, 11:03:37 PM »
I feel Suso is the only person who's under real scrutiny in all honesty

I agree. I won't knock the owners at all. The money has always apparently been there but not securing another striker in the summer and our rather underwhelming January moves (yes I accept the January market is tricky) does not reflect well on Suso. And I say that as someone who has a lot of respect for his background and CV.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
It’s all about levels of accountability. The owners appointed Purslow to run the club on their behalf.  Who in turn appointed Smith and Suso to manage the coaching and recruitment at the club.

Depending on where you think we’re failing is who should be carrying the can.  There’s not much the owners can do short term to fix structural problems.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
The team that trounced us on Sunday spent £150m on just full backs. £100m on 2 centre half.

United spunked £86m on a player and he doesn't play

'The Mighty Reds YNWA' paid £150m on a keeper and a centre half.

The game financially has gone mental

What about Sheffield United, then?

They have a well drilled method of play over the last 3- 4 years and are still playing that high energy game. Each year there is promoted team that do it.
We lost 10 players and were a team who finished 5th and won in the play offs. We have almost bought an entire team.

I would imagine Sheffield United will not be as unknown next season

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:54 AM »
Sheffield United will go down next season.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
If you include loan players who returned to their parent clubs, players sold, players whose contracts expired in June, players who were released from their contracts in the summer, I think you'll find that we 'lost circa 25 players last summer!!

Staggering figure, isn't it?

That's why the 'Fulham' bollocks just doesn't stick -we just replaced about half the players who had left, just to give Deano some sort of a squad to work with.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2020, 11:17:49 PM »
Sheffield United have built steadily over a period of three or four years going up from League One to the Championship and then from Championship to Premier League. Their win percentage over that period must be a big boost to confidence as well as the continuity of manager, coaching staff and playing staff. I would be interested to know how many different players have made a first team appearance for Sheffield United in the last four years compared to how many different players have made a first team appearance for Villa in the same period.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2020, 09:50:30 AM »
They need to have a good look at the structure they've put in place at the end of this season, whatever division we're playing in.  It just hasn't worked, and if it doesn't change next season, almost certainly won't work again.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
They need to have a good look at the structure they've put in place at the end of this season, whatever division we're playing in.  It just hasn't worked, and if it doesn't change next season, almost certainly won't work again.

Completely agree.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
We could look at the bits that have worked, keep them, alter the ones that haven't and take it from there. Or we could go back to the idea of starting everything again from scratch. That's served us well over the past twenty years.   

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »

If we stay up, it has worked.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
The mistakes made for me are as follows:

1. Failure to bring in PL quality/experience in the summer.
2. Refusal to bring in loan players in the Summer, thus freeing up funds to purchase better "permanents".

This is of course with the benefit of hindsight but there are glaring similarities with the 2015-2016 relegation season. We bought some good players then but none had PL experience. Most have gone on to better things.

It is noteworthy that now, out of desperation, we have done a U-turn.

Regarding the loanees, there are 2 types of player: The young up and coming striker (Abraham) or the experienced player who is not getting a game at his parent club (Drinkwater).  Whilst it is bold to claim that we are not going to enhance other teams players, we could still have considered a couple of older loanees given the amount of squad places required to be filled in one window.  The signing of Mooy on loan by Brighton from Huddersfield was a masterstroke and freed up money for them to buy Maupay and Webster.

If and it's a big if, we refused to pay for our number one targets such as Webster, Philips and Benrahma and opted for cheaper versions in Engles, Nakamba & Trez then this was also a mistake.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »

That's simplsitic to say the least.  The plan certainly wasn't to be marginally less crap than three other teams, and I'm sure it certainly wasn't to be playing games in January with no striker.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »

That's simplsitic to say the least.  The plan certainly wasn't to be marginally less crap than three other teams, and I'm sure it certainly wasn't to be playing games in January with no striker.

To say 'it just hasn't worked' is too simplistic as well. As Dave points out, you look at the good and bad and you try and improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal