collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Owners  (Read 16760 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: The Owners
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2020, 08:42:33 PM »
The issue is that we couldn't spend a shit load more because of FFP but we needed a shed load of players. How else could we have done it?
Unfortunately, the shed (squad) is now full of shit

I guess that's about how you view stuff. I see it as opportunity and players who will develop and get better (which was the strategy if you remember). You see it as shit as they aren't doing the job right now.

There is promise and good performances just not as often as we'd like and need.

That was a humiliating defeat yesterday but we had a good draw at Leicester in the cup and a couple of wins in the festive league games.

We're bound to be inconsistent.
I guess my glass is half empty right now ......but I think the recruitment has been negligent in so far as we have too many newcomers to the League and the country - hence a long bedding in period. Added to that, Smith's belligerent approach to setting the team up and odd selections/ lack of tactical nous
The inconsistency and lack of leadership is going to cost us - the injury to SJM has cost us but he was starting to show signs of fatigue prior to his injury ......faces like Drinkwater and Reina fail to inspire me ......January appears the wrong time to attempt to be bringing in  quality signings especially a couple of strikers - if it is factual that Smith wasn't supported to buy players he wanted in the summer it's hardly surprising he isn't performing as the progressive manager we were all hoping we were going to get -
Like a fair few other posters I've been concerned about the lack of goalscorer/strikers - now it appears both the defence and midfield  are wanting .....doesn't auger well for the coming months

In what universe is Smith's approach to setting the team up "belligerent"?
My bad SE ..........wrong adjective
Should read obstinate :)

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
We've spent a lot of money but, with a couple of exceptions, have bought gbp 8/10 mill players in a league where gbp50/60 mill players is the norm. No wonder we are struggling. I really hope these two are not Lerner mark 2.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
We've spent a lot of money but, with a couple of exceptions, have bought gbp 8/10 mill players in a league where gbp50/60 mill players is the norm. No wonder we are struggling. I really hope these two are not Lerner mark 2.

I believe they are willing to spend whatever it will take. However, they're not idiots like Xia, and they'll have taken advice from Purslow and probably external advisors also on the best way to manage expenditure in light of lingering FFP concerns, both for this season and a potential future season where we're not in the PL anymore, if things go wrong.

All of this stuff represents a fine line to tread for a promoted club. I certainly wouldn't question their willingness to invest so far. I'd certainly question what Suso and Smith have spent their money on, however. As others have said, we needed a certain amount of bodies in, and we had to do so without spending 500m, but there is clearly better quality available around the world for the money we spent. You mention them all being £8-10m players in a league where much higher deals are done, but I don't think the valuations were the issue somehow. Leicester won the league not a million years ago without spending anywhere near as much as we have on players. Sheffield United are flying high with a Championship squad. Loads of others are doing alright with strikers that cost less than Wesley or left-backs that didn't cost as much as Matt Targett.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2020, 01:56:48 PM »

Why is it that the more our owners spend, the more they get criticised for not spending?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
£50/60m signings aren't the norm, there's been approx two dozen in this country all made by the 'big' six.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
The team that trounced us on Sunday spent £150m on just full backs. £100m on 2 centre half.

United spunked £86m on a player and he doesn't play

'The Mighty Reds YNWA' paid £150m on a keeper and a centre half.

The game financially has gone mental

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2020, 06:14:34 PM »
Sheffield United are benefiting from a stable squad that have mostly been together for two years or so. Villa have not had that luxury and had to throw together a dozen new teammates

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2020, 06:24:19 PM »
Lerner mark II.  Jeez.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »

Words fail me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »

Words fail me.

With the exception of Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United who is paying fifty to sixty million for players? Plus even those three have brought in some money from sales.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2020, 07:00:25 PM »

Words fail me.

With the exception of Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United who is paying fifty to sixty million for players? Plus even those three have brought in some money from sales.

Liverpool in particular have played a blinder in offloading their outcasts to Bournemouth and Palace.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »

Words fail me.

They've failed me right from the opening post. Staggering.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
Only Real Madrid had a greater net spend than us this summer, anywhere on the planet. I won't dismiss the owners as penny-pinchers just yet.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:39:21 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2020, 09:43:48 PM »
Board out !!!

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2020, 10:28:01 PM »
I feel Suso is the only person who's under real scrutiny in all honesty

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal