collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 21893 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Chelsea 2-1 Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »
Trez was anonymous for most of the game then briefly our best outfield player then got subbed. Funny night for him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2019, 10:09:51 PM »
Hause deserves a chance at Left back. He was excellent there last season. He would also add height and strength at the back. He was MOTM against Wolves in the Carabao Cup.

He was back in the squad for the last couple of games, but was dropped for Taylor on the bench tonight.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2019, 10:10:47 PM »
Heaton 9
Elmo 6
Konsa 4
Mings 4
Targett 4
Nakamba 5.8
Hourihane 4 (Luiz 7)
McGinn 4.9478
Trez 6 (Jota 4)
Wesley 0.1
Grealish 6.8

Bryce asked me to fix it for you

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2019, 10:11:55 PM »
Until he popped up with the equaliser I genuinely didn't know Trez was playing.

yeah, he was utterly hopeless until then. put in a decent enough shift after then though.

strange player isnt he? one paced, one footed, predictable in his play

yet has scored in his last three starts, and unlucky not to get one at Old Trafford

Offline FatSam

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
Things would have had to really click for us to beat Chelsea. The fact is that things didn’t quite click. They played pretty well, and we made mistakes.

I don’t agree that Wesley wasn’t trying. It is incredibly difficult to be the lone striker when we have so little of the play. Of course he has good and bad games, and it would be better if we could swap him out every now and then, but we don’t have a realistic alternative. That is the only weakness from our summer business, and yet some commentators say that we made too many changes.

Their midfield 4 cost them £32m, £40m, £57m and the other one has been with them since he was 6. They’re still paying Danny Drinkwater £100k/ week.

I wasn’t there for the 8-0, but I did go to the 7-1, and the fact that we were going toe-to-toe with them gives me confidence that we are on the right track.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2019, 10:15:50 PM »
Their squad worth about four times ours.

Their trophy count significantly higher.

They've been in the top reaches of the league for years and won the Champions League only We've just been promoted having been in the championship and before that having circled the Premier League plughole for half a decade.

They won the league as recently as 2017 and the Europa League last season.

It's the reality, we're going to have bad days, and this is precisely the sort of team it's likely to happen against.

I was flat watching it, as it didn't look like we'd get anything from the game. However xwe hung in there and didn't get hammered (score wise).

Onwards.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2019, 10:15:59 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

I cant agree with this. Wesley needs to put himself about more not just stand still complaining.

Targett is far better than Taylor, Admittedly it was a Tough game for him tonight as Willian was fantastic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:19:03 PM by mrfuse »

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2019, 10:18:49 PM »
Swap Danny Ings for Wesley and we'd be fine. But we're not fine are we? Wes is just not going to score or even look like scoring. We have to have a scoring presence if we want to stay in this league...

Offline villabear

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
Newly promoted side against a well stacked outfit.  We bring on Jota, they bring on Jorginho.  That said, I thought we were our own worst enemy. Terrible defending for the goals.  Mings and Konsa had a night off, timid all over the pitch, stood off in midfield.  We don't quite have enough class yet to compete with these sides.  Wesley?  I'm not sure what people are expecting when there are two players on him and no Villa player around him?  No-one else was any better, or worse than him. They won all the second balls and we looked tired and punchless.  2-1 flatters us. Poor performance and now only 1 point outside the bottom 3.
   At last some sense about Wesley - Messi could do no more with high balls up to him with no  support and surrounded by 3 defenders. All the Wesley haters just stop making him a scapegoat..Mings and Mcginn both need dropping and is Targett really any better than Taylior?

Don't agree on Wesley. I don’t expect him to do miracles but I do expect him to hold the ball up occasionally and take a bit of pressure of us as surely that’s why he’s there. Does he look a goal threat, no and McGinn needs dropping eh 🙄

Mate, seriously, if you have ever played centre forward and all you get is the ball whacked up to you, high in the air and you are on your own, I defy anyone to do any better.  Yes, I want him to push people over and compete, show more bollocks, but the way we play, does him no favours either.  He does need more physicality but he is NOT totally at fault.

I didn’t say he NOT totally at fault but I’m sorry he’s our only option as centre forward with the way we play and yet while I feel sometimes he doesn’t get the service he’s a big guy and he needs to take pressure off us a bit more by using his physicality. So let’s put it another way, would buy another striker in the window?

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2019, 10:24:40 PM »
It was painfull seeing Tammy in a Chelsea shirt tonight when we desperately need him. We were second best but with a bit of presence up front we could have nicked something.
He was always going to score against us wasn't he?  :'(
What sort of reception did he get from the Villa fans who were there?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2019, 10:25:21 PM »
I didn’t say he NOT totally at fault but I’m sorry he’s our only option as centre forward with the way we play and yet while I feel sometimes he doesn’t get the service he’s a big guy and he needs to take pressure off us a bit more by using his physicality. So let’s put it another way, would buy another striker in the window?
If he's ineffective because of the way we play it begs the question why we bought him in the first place.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2019, 10:26:52 PM »
Our record at HT
W7 D6 L2 F11 A6

Our record at FT
W4 D3 L8 F22 A24
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:31:00 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
Swap Danny Ings for Wesley and we'd be fine. But we're not fine are we? Wes is just not going to score or even look like scoring. We have to have a scoring presence if we want to stay in this league...

Aren't we the fifth highest scorers in the league? Mental when you look at our striker options which are arguably worst in the league when you compare them to Ings as you mention, Norwich who have Pukki scoring again and Watford with Deeney who's proved himself a capable prem striker over last 5 years.

It's not all Wes's fault. At this moment in time it's unfair asking him to play every single minute of every league game as he's simply not near the level required for that. Benteke obviously was once he fully settled in.

We messed up not getting in another forward in the summer. No chance we make the same mistake next month particularly as Kodj will leave.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »
It shouldn't be overlooked that apart from Newcastle, we've had an incredibly difficult run of games, including - Man City, Liverpool, Wolves, Man Utd and Chelsea. And we've got Leicester next who are flying. Even Sheffield United away will be tough.
For me, the Christmas games against Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnley will be the most crucial as to our direction going into the New Year.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
It shouldn't be overlooked that apart from Newcastle, we've had an incredibly difficult run of games, including - Man City, Liverpool, Wolves, Man Utd and Chelsea. And we've got Leicester next who are flying. Even Sheffield United away will be tough.
For me, the Christmas games against Southampton, Norwich, Watford and Burnley will be the most crucial as to our direction going into the New Year.

I agree with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal