collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gutted about a manager....  (Read 5223 times)

Offline Simon Page

Re: Gutted about a manager....
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
Barton and Little.

Saunders was weird but I don't remember being gutted at the time. Taylor went when being England manager was still the pinnacle of the game so it just felt like a no-brainer. Oh how times have changed. Atkinson had been declining for a while and there really wasn't much sign of turning the ship round.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »
Saunders. As a kid he was the only manager I had known, we were league champions and it seemed to come out of the blue. The period of mourning and chanting that Ronnie Bendall had fucked it up changed as soon as he went to Blues.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 11:05:20 AM »
1 Ron Saunders
2 SGT
3 BFR
4 MON

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 11:10:03 AM »
MON. Not so much the individual but it was a portent of doom that unfortunately came devastatingly true.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »
I was gutted when SGT went but also when BFR went. We were 'big time' and punched our weight under Big Ron. Kevin Richardson had won the league with Everton and Arsenal, Garry Parker had won things at Forest, we fought off competition from Arsenal to bring in Earl Barrett, we broke our transfer record to bring in Dean Saunders, Andy Townsend was one of the best players in the top flight when we bought him from Chelsea. Even free transfers like Big Cyrille and Mad Les were big names and big characters.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 02:14:04 PM »
Gotta be Ron Saunders, that took a while to get over and then SGT 1st time round, even though it wasn't a surprise.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 05:52:06 PM »
Ron Saunders was an absolute shocker.
Sir Graham, gutted but it was inevitable
Sad that things went sour for Little and Gregory
MON throwing the toys out of the pram.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2019, 07:49:17 PM »
I think we were in the bottom six and had just lost heavily away to Manchester United when Saunders left. Barton took over and guided us to a mid table place and the European Cup. It was however a massive shock when he left and an even bigger shock when he turned up at Small Heath. It was a real 'I remember where I was' moment when he quit. I was with my parents visiting an aunt in Tamworth and there was a Midweek Sport Special (I think it was a league cup semi final between Liverpool and Ipswich) on the telly and the news broke on that show.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
Vic Crowe.

Nearly saved us from relegation, brought us back up with seventy points, called in at Wembley for a League Cup final, beating Best, Law, Charlton et al along the way. Took us to third place in the second division before the board cut off his spending, then sacked him before the youth players coming through could develop.

As badly as Remi Garde was treated, Crowe was the first to get the backstabbing from his own board.

Shameful!!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »
I think we were in the bottom six and had just lost heavily away to Manchester United when Saunders left. Barton took over and guided us to a mid table place and the European Cup. It was however a massive shock when he left and an even bigger shock when he turned up at Small Heath. It was a real 'I remember where I was' moment when he quit. I was with my parents visiting an aunt in Tamworth and there was a Midweek Sport Special (I think it was a league cup semi final between Liverpool and Ipswich) on the telly and the news broke on that show.

Not quite bottom six. Villa were 15th when Saunders left, but there were 22 teams in league then.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal