collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464855 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3135 on: January 26, 2020, 02:30:17 PM »
We've refused to take Hogan back and Stoke don't want to pay the loan fee, so they're looking for another club to take him on.

Monaco?

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #3136 on: January 26, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
"There's a player in there somewhere."
It’s just that nobody seems to play to his strengths. What are they by the way?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3137 on: January 26, 2020, 02:38:41 PM »
Eating.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3138 on: January 26, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
Feeling hard done by.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3139 on: January 26, 2020, 03:11:08 PM »
Pining for the fleshpots of Greenford and Perivale.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3140 on: January 26, 2020, 03:23:55 PM »
Pining for the fleshpots of Greenford and Perivale.

*Shudders*

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3141 on: January 26, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
You don't work your way up from non league, have a better than 1 in 2 strike rate up to the point of coming to Villa, and become completely useless over night. Like I said, once he leaves us I would not be shocked to see him scoring goals again on a regular basis.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3142 on: January 26, 2020, 03:37:39 PM »
You don't work your way up from non league, have a better than 1 in 2 strike rate up to the point of coming to Villa, and become completely useless over night. Like I said, once he leaves us I would not be shocked to see him scoring goals again on a regular basis.

He has left us more than once already, and still been found wanting.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3143 on: January 26, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »
I respect that Ozz and I really admire the fans who are loyal to their own.  I just don't see it happening.  Just like my good mate Mr Underhill could never see Adama Traore playing in the Champions League.  That is not yet a done deal so if Traore falls short I owe Mr Underhill a slap up lunch at a venue of his choice.  I extend the same reward to you if Hogan becomes a prolific scorer above League 2 in the EFL. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:45:05 PM by brian green »

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #3144 on: January 26, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
I respect that Ozz and I really admire the fans who are loyal to their own.  I just don't see it happening.  Just like my good mate Mr Underhill could never see Adama Traore playing in the Champions League.  That is not yet a done deal so if Traore falls short I owe Mr Underhill a slap up lunch at a venue of his choice.  I extend the same reward to you if Hogan becomes a prolific scorer above League 2 in the EFL. 
Genuine question, given that he already achieved that, what are your thoughts why he couldn't again? Uniquely perfect set up @ Brentford that suited his style? I also can imagine him finding his level again, if he wants it enough. L1 or Chumps doesn't sound unreasonable.
There was that moment when it made sense when he spoke about Bruce setting things up to suit him and it made sense.
I wonder how we'd get a fly on the wall account of Bruceball transfer policy, likewise the buy 'em/freeze 'em out of MON, some of the great mysteries of modern times...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3145 on: January 26, 2020, 04:19:15 PM »
Hogan has had three managers since he's been away from us, and in Wilder one of the best.  He's been found wanting every time.  You might as well ask if Ross McCormack is going to make it again, as he's got a much better record in the Championship.

Online danno

« Reply #3146 on: January 26, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »
Was there any truth in the Nzonzi link or was it just paper nonsense?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3147 on: January 26, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
I definitely agree with those who think Hogan has ‘shat his hole full’ but I also agree with those that think he was decent once. In my view, he was limited but very good (at Championship level anyway) at what he did well, which was box finishing with the ball played on the front foot. We couldn’t give him what he needed to be successful, he had a couple of injury set backs as well, but what I’d imagine we did give him was a contract and salary that he’d barely dreamt of before so you question his desire in that after a few set backs he appears to have thought ‘ah, fuck it, I’m made for life now anyway so who gives a shit’. That would be my best guess, because he wasn’t a shit player at championship level.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3148 on: January 26, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
I definitely agree with those who think Hogan has ‘shat his hole full’ but I also agree with those that think he was decent once. In my view, he was limited but very good (at Championship level anyway) at what he did well, which was box finishing with the ball played on the front foot. We couldn’t give him what he needed to be successful, he had a couple of injury set backs as well, but what I’d imagine we did give him was a contract and salary that he’d barely dreamt of before so you question his desire in that after a few set backs he appears to have thought ‘ah, fuck it, I’m made for life now anyway so who gives a shit’. That would be my best guess, because he wasn’t a shit player at championship level.
This sums up my thoughts on it. I think Hogan could become a good Championship level player again, but it'd probably involve him dropping down to League 1 level first, get his confidence back by banging in 20 or so in a season. But I don't think he will, at least until it's way too late, because - well, he's going to be paid more for sitting on his arse for a year at Villa than probably the rest of his career, so why would he?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3149 on: January 26, 2020, 06:59:16 PM »
Hogan has had three managers since he's been away from us, and in Wilder one of the best.  He's been found wanting every time.  You might as well ask if Ross McCormack is going to make it again, as he's got a much better record in the Championship.

Wilder may have kept him if they'd not been promoted.

I suspect League one is more his level these days though...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal