collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by trinityoap
[Today at 09:49:17 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:47:46 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by LeeB
[Today at 09:40:54 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464215 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #405 on: December 11, 2019, 08:40:19 PM »
If we could re-sign Grabban on loan and Bowen on a perm in January I'd snap your hand off right now. We'd look a completely different team.

I'd even take Mitrović. Although, as the current Championship top scorer that option seems unlikely.

Grabban and Mitrovic have proven on a few occasions they arent up to the top division, file under likes of Gayle, Dwight.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #406 on: December 11, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »
Grabban? Fucking hell.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2019, 09:32:24 PM »
Assombalonga!? Is this a game of pick a random shit football player and hope they turn into the new Pele or Best?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »
Grabban? Fucking hell.

He's not the forward you'd build a side around but he wasn't overawed in his spell with us and it seemed to click for him.

More stability that summer and there's a decent chance we'd have made the move permanent.

I'd probably prefer him as an option from the bench over Kodjia or Davis.  But realistically we need better than all three.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #409 on: December 11, 2019, 10:35:46 PM »
Open winter transfer thread......

A few pages discussing the relative strengths of Mitrovic, Grabban, Assombolonga.........

Closes winter transfer thread......

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2019, 10:39:45 PM »
Title about to be changed...

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2019, 11:18:50 PM »
Grabban? Fucking hell.

He's not the forward you'd build a side around but he wasn't overawed in his spell with us and it seemed to click for him.

More stability that summer and there's a decent chance we'd have made the move permanent.

I'd probably prefer him as an option from the bench over Kodjia or Davis.  But realistically we need better than all three.

Not advocating we sign Grabban, especially as he is on the bench at Forest at the moment, but did see a stat on the TV during their game at Millwall saying he had scored the most goals in the Championship over the past five years. 

I don't really follow football abroad so don't really know what kind of options would be available in other countries, but in terms of British football, I think we would either be looking at taking a bit of a punt on someone like Ollie Watkins from Brentford or Morelos from Rangers or looking to sign someone on loan from another top flight club. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:28:06 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #412 on: December 11, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
Grabban? Fucking hell.

Not advocating we sign Grabban, especially as he is on the bench at Forest at the moment, but did see a stat on the TV during their game at Millwall saying he had scored the most goals in the Championship over the past five years. 

Re Grabban stat scoring most in last 5 years but surely that doesn't mean much as a premier league bench mark.
If it wasnt for it being a fact it would be totally relativism
Its bordering anyway because :If Vardy, Kane , Aguero , or even Tammy Abraham played in the championship the last 5 years they would be the top scorer.

Its like saying I'm the youngest child because my brother and sisters are older than me.
But if my brother or sisters were younger then they would be the youngest.

Grabban scored the most goals in the championship in the last 5 years.

Aston Villa are in the Premier league.
Its 2 different things

Help me out with this?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:31:59 PM by Vill I An »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #413 on: December 11, 2019, 11:34:29 PM »
Heres 4 names who are doing ok at the moment - of them Moron and David look decent.

Loren Moron
Donyell Malen
Myron Boadu
Jonathan David

I mentioned Malen on a thread, not sure which, I think he could be a special talent but he's very young so he might not be the sort you sign looking for an immediate impact. Osimhen at Lyon looks a fantastic player as well, again very young but both are the sort of players we could pay £20-25m for and see bids of 2-3x that in 18months time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #414 on: December 11, 2019, 11:36:19 PM »
Heres 4 names who are doing ok at the moment - of them Moron and David look decent.

Loren Moron
Donyell Malen
Myron Boadu
Jonathan David

I mentioned Malen on a thread, not sure which, I think he could be a special talent but he's very young so he might not be the sort you sign looking for an immediate impact. Osimhen at Lyon looks a fantastic player as well, again very young but both are the sort of players we could pay £20-25m for and see bids of 2-3x that in 18months time.

Are those real players then?  I thought it was a joke that I wasn't clever enough to understand!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #415 on: December 11, 2019, 11:39:08 PM »

Loren Moron
Donyell Malen
Myron Boadu
Jonathan David

Are those real players then?  I thought it was a joke that I wasn't clever enough to understand!
Yeh I stopped at Loren Moron

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #416 on: December 11, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
If we could re-sign Grabban on loan and Bowen on a perm in January I'd snap your hand off right now. We'd look a completely different team.

I'd even take Mitrović. Although, as the current Championship top scorer that option seems unlikely.

Grabban and Mitrovic have proven on a few occasions they arent up to the top division, file under likes of Gayle, Dwight.

Grabban has only played 20 odd career games in the PL, mostly as a sub, since then his goal scoring record is averaging 1 in 2. He's already shown he can work hard for us and is worth another crack at the top flight.

Mitrović has a 1 in 4 record in the PL. Whilst not superb, if we compare that to our current striker's 0 in 8 - it's decent. That figure could easily be improved on with the likes of Grealish, El Ghazi and Hourihane supplying him.

If we end up bringing in better quality, it's a bonus.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #417 on: December 12, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
Grabban is 32 next month and is not the answer to any question apart from "name a striker that is great in the lower leagues and shit in the Premier League".

If you are going to make Wes 0 in 8 then suggesting a striker that was 0 in 9 last season in the PL doesn't seem such a great idea. Or if we're picking random runs to suit an argument, Mitrovic scored in 4 of the last 31 PL games he played.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:17:55 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #418 on: December 12, 2019, 12:16:16 AM »
Grabban did well at the start of his loan spell but he went missing a bit in the actual play offs. Certainly a good championship striker when he's in the mood but I really don't see any indication we'll want to sign him.

If we are to sign from there it's obviously going to be Bowen or Benrahama I think. Could get both but I'd rather get in a more experienced international standard forward in.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #419 on: December 12, 2019, 12:29:27 AM »
Grabban? Fucking hell.

Re Grabban stat scoring most in last 5 years but surely that doesn't mean much as a premier league bench mark.
If it wasnt for it being a fact it would be totally relativism
Its bordering anyway because :If Vardy, Kane , Aguero , or even Tammy Abraham played in the championship the last 5 years they would be the top scorer.

Its like saying I'm the youngest child because my brother and sisters are older than me.
But if my brother or sisters were younger then they would be the youngest.

Grabban scored the most goals in the championship in the last 5 years.

Aston Villa are in the Premier league.
Its 2 different things

Help me out with this?

As I say, wasn't advocating that we sign Grabban at all, just saying that I was a little surprised to see him top that particular chart, as I didn't think he had been that prolific during his career.

There are numerous examples of strikers who have been prolific in the Championship, but haven't made the step up when given the chance in the top flight.  Still, that kind of scoring record isn't to be sniffed at whatever level of football someone is playing at. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal