collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Toronto Villa
[Today at 02:54:20 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by ROBBO
[Today at 02:42:25 AM]

Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:26:00 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by ROBBO
[Today at 01:13:08 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by Villan82
[Today at 01:11:38 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Villan82
[Today at 01:08:18 AM]

Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow by brontebilly
[Today at 01:06:06 AM]

Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:03:57 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 265724 times)

Offline TelfordVilla

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3855 on: February 01, 2020, 11:17:24 AM »
At the time we got Mings, he was an injury prone left back who couldn't even get in the Bournemouth side. Hindsight shows us we bought a living legend of an England International centre back. Hindsight is such a clever scout.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #3856 on: February 01, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »
Not sure weíve done anywhere near enough to counter the lack of goals in the team. And didnít DS say only yesterday that we were looking at players with PL quality and experience?

If we were looking at this window to solve squad quality and depth problems, I donít think itís been a success.

8 sides have scored more than us.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3857 on: February 01, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
Mings was game-changing. None of the latest recruits look likely to be, but who knows?

With his mentality Reina could well be a Mings type influence on the pitch imo.

Just to show some of the younger players it's actually o.k to compete and actually take a point or three off "top" teams Spurs and Arsenal.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3858 on: February 01, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »
This is the first squad Iíve felt I identify with in yonks and generally am enjoying being a Villa fan more now than easily since the beginning of the MON era. I suggest others try and enjoy the ride too before it passes you by...
Well said

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #3859 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:44 PM »
Mings was game-changing. None of the latest recruits look likely to be, but who knows?

With his mentality Reina could well be a Mings type influence on the pitch imo.

Just to show some of the younger players it's actually o.k to compete and actually take a point or three off "top" teams Spurs and Arsenal.

I agree. Whatever Mings brings ability-wise is dwarfed by his leadership, character and being an all round immense human being. Reina's a player of genuine standing in the game who's played at the very top, I think he's a huge signing.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #3860 on: February 01, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
Glad we got a centre half in to add some competiton at the back....

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #3861 on: February 01, 2020, 05:18:41 PM »
It's not the white flag of surrender our pitiful lack of business was in Jan 2016, but my initial feeling is - Reina apart - it leaves us short of the hit of quality we needed. 

And we needed it before factoring in the injuries to McGinn, Heaton and Wesley.

I also can't understand why some fans can't understand others might be concerned.  We're one point outside of the dropzone at the start of Feb, with tougher remaining fixtures than West Ham and Bournemouth to name just two. Most of our games in that March/ April period look particularly grim.

Looks like we tried for Giroud but that was never a goer. Samatta looks like an intriguing gamble - if we were comfortably mid table, he was back up and there wasn't immediate pressure on him to deliver. Baston as back up to the back up is probably fine.

Drinkwater still looks an odd one, and I believe we've missed a trick not bringing a midfielder with more physicality in this window and last. We're too nice to play against. We might even have to look at summat like Konsa in midfield before too long.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 05:20:37 PM by KevinGage »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3862 on: February 01, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
some of them will be ok in the Chumps next season

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
« Reply #3863 on: February 01, 2020, 05:40:34 PM »
Wesley getting injured has probably improved us, as Davies will now get a game, Samata looks better, and the other signing is likely also better. If he had got injured we would been stuck with 10 men all season.

The main problem is not replacing McGinn properly. Indeed even before he got injured we looked weak  but with Makanba losing form and Luiz being rubbish at tackling we needed something better than an unfit and past best Drinkwater.

Letting Chester and Kodjia go was stupid too.

I still think Smith should have gone before the window opened, we have missed the opportunity now. I hope we see more of the kind of performances we had in cup now and less like today but not holding my breath.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #3864 on: February 11, 2020, 09:32:36 PM »
Have to say watching brentford vs leeds. Phillips and benrama look like quality premier league players.

I think they both could add a hell of a lot to this team. If we stay up and neither of these come ul id try get both.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3865 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:04 PM »
Would look to the Bundesliga. Watched Leverkusen-Dortmund at the weekend which was a great game.

Surely we could get Kevin Volland? Has nearly a 1 in 2 record for Leverkusen but 27 so I reckon they'd cash in this summer. Also Leon Bailey would fit well into English football and we need a quick player in the front 3.

All this talk about Piatek and in the end he went to a Bundesliga relegation threatened team so we need to start setting our sights a big higher from the summer imo.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #3866 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:44 PM »
If we stay up, there will be a lot of potential for bigger signings.

I was speaking to a friend the other day about football. He's a Liverpool fan and obviously pleased with the season. He's an ex-player at lower league and academy levels and was a goalkeeper until injury finished him.

He was saying how amazing he feels Reina is, and disappointment Liverpool haven't gone back in for him (not as Number 1). Great communicator, experienced and level-headed. I hope we keep him when Heaton is fit.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 26.01.2021
« Reply #3867 on: February 12, 2020, 01:55:57 PM »
If we stay up, there will be a lot of potential for bigger signings.

I was speaking to a friend the other day about football. He's a Liverpool fan and obviously pleased with the season. He's an ex-player at lower league and academy levels and was a goalkeeper until injury finished him.

He was saying how amazing he feels Reina is, and disappointment Liverpool haven't gone back in for him (not as Number 1). Great communicator, experienced and level-headed. I hope we keep him when Heaton is fit.

I thought the deal was if we stay up he gets an auto 1 year addition to current contract - that would be fine by me

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #3868 on: February 12, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
Having reina as backuo for heaton would be great

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3869 on: February 14, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
Probably wouldn't even be a back-up...there would be real competition for the position.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal