collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Largest away following with the Villa - non Wembley.  (Read 12073 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Largest away following with the Villa - non Wembley.
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2020, 10:46:47 PM »
dont know the years but -

Highbury (nuetral ground)  Villa v QPR league cup semi final (Little hat trick)

Hillsborough -  Villa v Everton  League cup final (if it counts)

Offline Rico

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2020, 10:49:49 AM »
I've heard it said in the past that Villa's following to Highbury in 81 was a record for the largest amount of away fans at an English league match. I've heard figures of 27,000 mentioned in the past, and although that seems a touch high, I think it's safe to say that due to the size of the Clock End at Highbury and Villa fans being in other parts of the ground that there was at least 20,000 Villa at the game. One thing is for sure is that with the advent of all seater stadia it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where any club will ever have such a large following away from home ever again.

I was at Old Trafford for that Bonfire night match in 88, and it was surreal the amount of Villa that turned up, for what was really a run of the mill league game with nothing hanging on the outcome of the game. They just kept on coming and coming, and the police had to move the Utd fans (Brummie Reds) and open another section up for the Villa. I'd estimate 6,000 to 8,000.

We always took loads to all Small Heath, Albion and Coventry back in the 80s and 90s. Probably as many Villa as home fans in all honesty.

Sheffield Wednesday for Big Ron's first match was mental. I ended up standing in the corner of the Leppings Lane end even though it was technically an all seater stadium by that point, but that corner was still terracing for some strange reason. I think the police had no option but to let us stand there as there were thousands of people who were unable to get to their seats because they were already occupied. I'd estimate about 6,000 at that match.

It's one of the things that I miss about old school footy, is the ability to take thousands to away games. What's the most that you can take now to a premier league game? 3000?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2020, 08:41:20 PM »
With the crush to get into the ground and the crush on the terraces it felt like we had about 10,000 in one corner of the ground at Swindon on the last day in 1988. I think there were some moody tickets going around too.

Official attendance 10,959. It felt like all of those were stood around me in that corner.

There was a big crush at Portman Road for the first game of the season at Ipswich too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal